• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Mysterious problem with computer

gporche

n00b
Joined
Jun 5, 2008
Messages
61
In the last week, I have had a mysterious problem with my computer. I bott it in the morning and it runs perfectly all day long. I shut it down just before I go to bed. Herein lies the problem. The next day when I go to turn it on, I hear the click from the power button and the MB light comes on indicating the mb has power. But nothing else happens. No fans, lights, beeps, nothing. I turn the switch on the power supply off and then on and try again. Sometimes I do this several times. after a few minutes, I hit the power button on the computer and it boots right up. Then it runs all day with no problems. If I need to restart after a software installation ot update installation, it boots back up normally. This only started the last week. The computer was built last April and has been running great until now. The only 2 changes I have made recently was a bios update about 3 weeks or so ago (V PO8) and Windows updates on 2/11/09.The problem just started since this months Windows updates. You can see my specs in this post. I am only running the 320 sata gb hard disk at this time. Can anyone help with this problem? I am leaning toward a update causing the problem. I have had problems with an update before that has been resolved.

Thanks
 
Hit up the basic troubleshooting guide in the General Hardware subforum and see if any of those steps might help.
 
Can't speak from personal experience, but it sounds like you might have a bad capacitor that keeps discharging/charging improperly. The restart cycle never really powers down the computer, so the cap stays chargeed. I have absolutely no idea where it would be though, nor any ideas for locating it aside from a multimeter check or visual inspection.
 
hossdaddy, when I press the power switch on the front of the case, the lights on the mb come on indicating the mb is getting power.
 
Woofer00, the capacitor makes sense. My son had a mb that was doing the same thing but worse. The problem was a leaking capacitor on themb. This mb is acting simular. Funny, the mb's were by different companies but the chipsets are both nvidia.
 
Please close this thread as the problem has been solved. The power supply was going bad. Replaced power supply and all is well. OCZ is replacing the power supply for me. I have currently installe a Thermaltake toughpower 850 watt sli modular power supply. This is my first modular power supply and I like it.Thanks for the help.
 
Back
Top