My XP ate itself - can't do a upgrade reinstall

ericsan

Weaksauce
I just had a hardware memory error on my system - XP SP2 - installed for about 2 yrs.

Of course - the mem error caused a lot of filesys damage. Once i replaced the mremory - all is good - except it won't boot XP anymore.

So I did a "upgrade" reinstall of SP2 It gets to the first reboot in the install - and says
" Error Message: Setup Cannot Set the Required Windows XP Configuration "- F3 to quit !!! Rats I checked the partition with a boot disk, and all seems ok. So close !!!

So then I tried a "clean" install into a new DIR on the same partition I put it into \WINDOWS2 Ran fine - installed completely.

The MS knowledge base says that the error means my hardware is not compatible or something.

Need some help to get the original Windows install back. I can see all of the original C: dirve - all seems to work fine.

I don't have a direct answer for your question. About the only thing I can suggest is backup everything you need to keep and do a format/install and then copy your backed up files into the new install. It sounds like your old Windows install is as good as dead.

Someone else may have a different solution but I don't think I'd try to use an install as FUBAR'd as yours sounds to be.

True - I just want to get back in there and run a full backup - I have Retrospect, but haven't run it in a while. Lots of other settings I want to save off too.

Back