My Xmas 2007 machine

It looks good the only thing im wondering is
Do you already have HDD's or do you still need to pick some out?
 
Yeah I got two 320GB 7200 RPM Seagates from Bestbuy.... were on sale during Thanksgiving. I was kind of hesitant about the brand, because I prefer Western Digital, but you know.. can't pass up a good deal. I would have preferred to get a Raptor and then a big storage drive, but decided I couldn't afford a Raptor right now. Also kind of afraid that the big increase in heat and noise would annoy me. Any thoughts on that, as I consider getting one in the future?
 
Well since the Seagate 7200.11 HDD's came out i completely scratched out the idea of getting a Raptor. Also i haven't had any experience with the Raptors.
 
Just placed an order on Newegg for my next build. Very excited. :) If you're into this sort of thing, would love to have people check it out and tell me what they think. Praying that I don't run into any problems setting it up. This is only the second time I've built a PC from the ground up.

Everything I got is on this Newegg wishlist:
https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersio...WishListNumber=6814052&WishListTitle=New+Comp

Cheers!

nice build, but why am2? Go with intel for sure. Other than that it is pretty good. I love that case.
 
I thought I couldn't get as good a CPU (and mobo) for the same price with intel. Want to make a recommendation for a change? mobo has to be sli compatible.
 
670i you mean? Do you know of any reviews that compare those two processors directly? I kind of like the extra pci slots the amd mobo has.

no

e6750 (processor)
and asus 650i mobo.

check tom's hardware's cpu charts. you can compare just about any processor on a myriad of different points.
 
how about this rig:

CASE: ($25 off Mail-in Rebate) New! Apevia X-Jupiter Full Tower Gaming Server w/ Temp Display and Fan Control 420 Watt Power (G Type Silver Color with Side-Window)
CPU: (Sckt775)Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6850 CPU @ 3.00GHz 1333FSB 4MB L2 Cache 64-bit
MOTHERBOARD: (Quad-Core FSB1333) Asus Striker Extreme nForce 680i SLI Chipset LGA775 FSB1333 DDR2 Mainboard
MEMORY: (Req.DDR2 MainBoard)4GB (4x1GB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory (Mushkin Brand)
VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB 16X PCI Express (EVGA Powered by NVIDIA)
VIDEO CARD 2: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB 16X PCI Express (EVGA Powered by NVIDIA)
HARD DRIVE: Single Hard Drive (500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD)
Optical Drive: Sony Q170A 18x Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (SILVER COLOR)
SOUND: Creative Labs X-FI XtremeGamer 24-BIT PCI Sound Card
 
Do you know of any reviews that compare those two processors directly?

Yes:
http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=3127&p=7

As you can see, the E6750 (Stock speed of 2.66Ghz) does outperform the X2 6400+ (Stock speed of 3.2Ghz) by quite a few frames. 20-30FPS give or take. And lets not forget that nearly every single C2D CPU is easily overclockable to 3.2Ghz. If the X2 6400+ can't even catch up to the E6750 when the E6750 is at 2.66Ghz, imagine how far the gap will be when the E6750 is OC'd at 3.2Ghz.

Other than, it's a solid build. And AMD does need all the support it can get at this point in time. But an Intel build would've given you a bit more performance for the same amount of money.

Also, what size monitor do you have? SLI won't provide a major benefit until you start playing at 1920x1200 and above.
 
Hrm... too bad I'd have to pay ~60 bucks in restocking fees to switch at this point :( I'm trying to think back when I was comparing intel and AMD... why I decided to go with one over the other. I think I was looking at absolute numbers rather than comparative tests. :( Ah well. You live, you learn.
Now I need to figure out what OS I want to run. My first thoughts are to stick with Windows XP Pro 32, because it's what I'm used to. I would like to try XP Pro 64, and I was also considering getting Vista Ultimate 64, but I'm hesitant to spend that much money (even on an OEM version) if it's not going to work. Thoughts?
 
well the amd chip will serve you well. The thing is it is a computer. absolute numbers are everything.

i would either stay with xp 32 bit (you will only be able to use 3-3.5gbs of ram) or move to vista home premium. Ultimate is a waster. that said i love vista. It was a little rough in the early days, but it is hitch free now. there is no way I would go back to xp.
 
No need for the Windows Complete PC Backup/Restor or the Remote Desktop Access features? Vista Ultimate OEM is only ~170 bucks for a 64 bit I think. But yeah, not sure I want to spend that when I'm not sure I'll like Vista. So, are drivers and software widely available for 64 bit these days? I thought that the story was people were having problems getting antivirus software to work. I'd hate to lose the ability to use my firewall (Kerio) for example. I've fallen in love with it over the years.
 
No need for the Windows Complete PC Backup/Restor or the Remote Desktop Access features?

It's not worth the extra $60 over Vista Home Premium 64bit IMO. Many of us have our own, and most likely free, methods of backups and restore and have no need for remote desktop access. If I need to hook up to another PC, I'll just use LogMeIn or VNC or VNC over SSH. Vista Home Premium 64bit is only $112:
Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit OEM - $112

Anyway, 64bit drivers and software are widely available for Vista 64bit. In fact Vista 64bit is better supported than XP 64bit. However like with any 64bit OS, there might be some compatibility problems. Just go through all the software you current use now and make sure that they can be used in Vista64bit.
 
Back
Top