My x2 4200 came in what should I expect?

Visable-assassin

I <3 Hybrids
well my x2 came in today and im excited to leave work and start my build.
my chip reads
ADA4200DAA5BV
LDBHE 0541SPBW
Z822237J51130

if anyone else has one of these please chime in.
I know this should be a pretty huge jump in performance at stock speeds from my current AXP 2500+ mobile @ 2.5ghz.
but OC wise what should I expect within reason. Im aiming for 2.4ghz so lemme know what you guys think. This will be paired with a MSI K8N NEO2 Platinum..so if you got this board even better :)

I don't think you'd have a problem with 2.4Ghz. You can probably get 2.5Ghz+ without too much effort.

you should expect for it to work =) but yes 2.5 with minimal effort, 2.7 if you're lucky.

kirbyrj said:
I don't think you'd have a problem with 2.4Ghz. You can probably get 2.5Ghz+ without too much effort.

Well with my S-TDX my cooling should be more than enough...to possibly get me higher.
I just hope this thing at 2.4+ is cooler than my 2500 @ 1.95v LOL
but anything above 2.4ghz is just gravy :)

In my opinion, you should expect nothing more than stock. Then if you get it to 2.4, you will be really happy, instead of saying, okay, not as much as I wanted, but whatever.

I have a mobile 2600+ here that I'm going to play with soon. The guy I got it from said he ran 2.7Ghz on 1.85V and I thought that was a lot. Stock was 1.65V right?

stock for mobiles is either 1.45 or 1.35v (there's two wattages, 45w and something else), and stock for the desktop chips is 1.65v

OK...now I remember :). Been at least 6 months since I played with an XP-M ;). Thanks.

kirbyrj said:

Why not? the Bartons were rated by AMD for .5v over stock
stock 1.65+.5=2.15v :)
shell do 2.6@ 2.0v and [email protected]
the max im even willing to run thru this x2 is 1.45v MAYBE 1.5v i havent found anything on AMDs site yet about the max voltage rating. but for a 90nm part i cant imagine it being very high.

(cf)Eclipse said:
stock for mobiles is either 1.45 or 1.35v (there's two wattages, 45w and something else), and stock for the desktop chips is 1.65v

If memory serves me right you had a 35 and 45 watt version :)

iSkylla said:
In my opinion, you should expect nothing more than stock. Then if you get it to 2.4, you will be really happy, instead of saying, okay, not as much as I wanted, but whatever.

I already know to expect stock...im not asking at stock speeds since stock is a given..im looking for possible potential above stock using the stepping info Ive provided.
Im well aware of OCing and that it is never a guarantee. Which is why once again I am asking about possible potential...either way this thing should be a hell of alot faster than what im running so disappointment is not an option. Besides if i want more Ill buy another and Ebay this one or illjust go FX-60 and call it even.

I'd say 2.4Ghz is a guarantee. 2.5-2.6 is average. 2.7+ is exceptional. With water...I'd say somewhere around 1.55V is where I'd stop. Maybe less, maybe more. Temps go up quick after 1.5V though.

kirbyrj said:
I'd say 2.4Ghz is a guarantee. 2.5-2.6 is average. 2.7+ is exceptional. With water...I'd say somewhere around 1.55V is where I'd stop. Maybe less, maybe more. Temps go up quick after 1.5V though.

Its not the temps that bother me since with the dual 120mm heatercore itll normally take everything I can throw at it.
Its the voltage on the smaller chips that makes me scared. Everyone freak out about heat...it isnt really the heat so much that kills your chip at higher volts..its the electromigration that occurs that is the killer.
Once I can find a spec sheet from AMD that shows the MAX voltage the chip will handle Ill crank to around there. the stock voltage on this thing is 1.35v if i remember right so ill probably stop at around 1.45-1.475 depending on what this mobos BIOS gives me access to and leave it there. For tonight ill focus on draining,filling and bleeding my system then installing windows and some small testing at stock speeds..then ill start cranking it up.
I just wonder were my Corsair XMS 3200 PROXL stuff will top out at.

well this is my last post from my old rig..im shutting down now to start my tear down. wish me luck :)

well shes up and running half ass..i cant get either of my onboard nics to let me get online...im about ready to just sell this thing and go back to my socket a.
anyone got any tips about how to get my K8n Neo2 Plat to allow me to get online im using the newest drivers from msi's site....but nothing

Visable-assassin said:
well shes up and running half ass..i cant get either of my onboard nics to let me get online...im about ready to just sell this thing and go back to my socket a.
anyone got any tips about how to get my K8n Neo2 Plat to allow me to get online im using the newest drivers from msi's site....but nothing

1). Don't use the Nvidia firewall
2). Get the drivers from Nvidia, not MSI.

kirbyrj said:
1). Don't use the Nvidia firewall
2). Get the drivers from Nvidia, not MSI.

there isnt an option in the bios that i can find that enables or disables the nvidia firewall..but ill try again.
also the nforce drivers are the same from the msi site and nvidias.
but either way i cant get anything right now.

kirbyrj said:
Nvidia firewall is installed when you install network drivers.

i didnt see any option for the firewall when the drivers went thru.
and when i pull up the nforce drivers i still dont see any option.
im really lost here..and im very annoyed the shit should work out of the box with out any monkeying around with it.
no matter how i run this thing ipconfig keeps telling me it cant reach my dhcp server to give me an IP address...and ive got all the other computers but this laptop unplugged

kirbyrj said:
Nvidia firewall is installed when you install network drivers.

i didnt see any option for the firewall when the drivers went thru.
and when i pull up the nforce drivers i still dont see any option.
im really lost here..and im very annoyed the shit should work out of the box with out any monkeying around with it.
no matter how i run this thing ipconfig keeps telling me it cant reach my dhcp server to give me an IP address...and ive got all the other computers but this laptop .
ive read you had to program the mac addy into this thing somehow...but i dont know where the hell the mac address is.

i run thru a switch...been running thru a switch for years now.
my system ran fine fine my socket a board...this one is just giving me hell

*EDIT*

go figure i run to walmart and buy a cheap wireless router and boom this damn thing works. :rolleyes:
either way time to start updating things

well im now up and running. so far things have been nice. only problem im running into it when i try and install certain programs from my hard drive (yahoo,mbm etc etc) and if i close the window for the particular folder my system make the "error beep" sound but it looks that sound and the window for the yahoo,mbm,etc installer wiggles around like its shuddering. then it workslike normal

kirbyrj said:
GL with the build.

im done just gotta bolt on one side of the case.
its just that little "shimmer" thing thats weirding me out lol

*edit* im still getting used to how these 64's overclock. im running at a paltry 2.3ghz LOL
i havent figured out exactly how everything ties in yet

Visable-assassin said:
im done just gotta bolt on one side of the case.
its just that little "shimmer" thing thats weirding me out lol

*edit* im still getting used to how these 64's overclock. im running at a paltry 2.3ghz LOL
i havent figured out exactly how everything ties in yet

Check out Eclipse's OC guide. It is pretty helpful.

Running my X2 4200 at 2419Mhz just by selecting 10% overclock in the BIOS :p .
mobo ASUS A8V.

lithium726 said:
NF3 does not have Active Armor, only NF4.

NF3 has a firewall not sure if it was called Active Armor or not. At least I had one on my NF3 250Gb s754 board.

kirbyrj said:
NF3 has a firewall not sure if it was called Active Armor or not. At least I had one on my NF3 250Gb s754 board.
o_O

...really? i never remember seeing any sort of hardware firewill options on my NF3 system, or on the spec sheets for that chipset...

lithium726 said:
o_O

...really? i never remember seeing any sort of hardware firewill options on my NF3 system, or on the spec sheets for that chipset...

I know it was on the 250Gb...not sure if it was also on the NF3 Ultra which was s939. I thought the Ultra was just the 250Gb on s939, but maybe not.

kirbyrj said:
I know it was on the 250Gb...not sure if it was also on the NF3 Ultra which was s939. I thought the Ultra was just the 250Gb on s939, but maybe not.
i dont think you are wrong, thats what ive always thought too...

I didn't think you were saying I was wrong ;). I'm just trying to get to the bottom of this :).

http://www.nvidia.com/page/nf3.html

Seems that the firewall wasn't called active armor, but it was one of the features. I never had a NF3 Ultra board, so I don't know how it worked with them. With the 250Gb, you had a choice to install it with the Nvidia network drivers.

If I remember correctly, there was also a NF2 Ultra Gb with the same firewall as the NF3.

Im prime95ing away at [email protected] voltage jumps all over tho..as high as 1.39v (all according to cpuz)but shes sitting at 95 degrees(cant believe how cool these things run) and ive just hit my 16 hour mark :)
i havent tried a HTT any higher than my current 218mhz since my system ends up running weird. I can get into windows at 250 HTT and htings are fine but once i reboot...it acts like i went to far and i gotta reset my cmos.
this is using the 166mhz ram divider which puts me at 171mhz 2-2-2-10 1t
should i try and loosen the timings to say 2-3-3-10 1t or 2.5-3-3-10 1t and try for a 1:1 ratio or not bother?

my Neo2 absoutly sucked for overclocking with an X2. it was alright (but fucking quirky... god i hated that board) with single core, i could hit 300+ HTT... but as soon as i threw the X2 in there it all went to hell.

lithium726 said:
my Neo2 absoutly sucked for overclocking with an X2. it was alright (but fucking quirky... god i hated that board) with single core, i could hit 300+ HTT... but as soon as i threw the X2 in there it all went to hell.

yeah its real weird above 225 HTT she behaves strange. like i said shell get into windows run whatever i want. Ill reboot and boom i gotta reset my BIOS.
so i just went lower than the 225 which isnt picky and stayed 218 LOL
I really want to go with a 1:1 ratio however i dunno i fmy Corsair XMS 3200 PRO XL will like 218mhz with its stock (tight timings).
im not ram guy but what setting should I lower first to try my 1:1 ratio with? the cas setting or one of the others,trcd,tras,trp?

prime is now hititng 20 hours. shes gonna run over night that should give me like 28 hours or more. after that im gonna see if she will accept a lower vcore. i never tried a lower vcore at this speed i just upped the voltage and tried lol. so perhaps i can hit this speed at or close to stock voltage.

You should have no problem with 2.4Ghz at stock voltage. You can probably do 2.5-2.6 with maybe a .05V increase.

kirbyrj said:
You should have no problem with 2.4Ghz at stock voltage. You can probably do 2.5-2.6 with maybe a .05V increase.

trust me dude id love to try further but this board doesnt like to play nice with me :(
so far ive hard her as high as 245mhz HTT (if i remember right) with an 8x multi. she botted to windows fine ran tests fine but as soon as i rebooted she wouldnt come back up.
id power down by holding the power button and try again..no dice. I ended up having to reset the cmos. so far she isnt picky about 220-225mhz HTT...well that ive seen but ive got horrible luck and im not gonna push it right now. 218-219 mhz is fine with me if i can get a 1:1 ratio with her. then once i get a real motherboard thatll handle an x2 ill try cranking her up some more :) and thatll be when I transition to PCI-E which wont be for a few months so i think 2.4ghz will suffice well :)

You might want to look at that ASRock board as a temp board instead of that Neo2. You sell your Neo2 for $50. Buy a ASRock used for $60 and for $10 your problems are "gone" :), and you have an upgrade route for PCIe.

I just build a comp for a friend using the ASRock board and it wasn't half bad.

Back