- G 1/4" fittings for tubing options
- three rear holes plus top fill hole for more flexibility
- optional lighting module
- shallow depth in 5 1/4" bay so it doesn't protrude into the case area

After installing it in my case, I knew this would be a looker:
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

But this is when I started noticing some of the flaws of this reservoir...
Because of the shape of the internal area, the fill port hole protrudes down into the reservoir. This is in my opinion a huge design flaw since it sits below the water level if you fill up the reservoir more that ~3/4 - 7/8 of the way. This creates trapped air and makes it almost impossible to bleed. With the top off, air has no way to get to the hole.

4.jpg

I managed to get rid of most of the air and fill it to about 98% capacity by laying my case down on it's front-end and filling up the reservoir from one of the back plugs. That temporarily helped but was extremely difficult.

But then, all the bubbles that were still bleeding out of the system would then accumulate into the reservoir again. SO i tilted forward and bled it again. But inevitably, the little micro-bubbles that stuck to the inside of the res and tubing started to come free and accumulate once again. - creating more air pockets.

Another issue -
As I mentioned before, this reservoir needs to be filled nearly to capacity to prevent the larger air pockets. This makes it succeptible to sloshing and splashing when running the loop with a plug removed when attempting to bleed.

Straw > Camel's back:
another issue that arises from the design flaw -

Because of the relatively high flow of the setup I was running (DDC + Plexi top -> Apogee -> MCW60 etc), there was a considerable amount of flow going into and out of the reservoir.
What would happen was that inflow would come in hard on to the left side of the reservoir (when looking at it from the front) and push all the trapped air to the right side which is the location of the outlet hole since it's the lowest hole in the reservoir.

Then, because the flow to the pump / suction was high, the air pocket that was now on the right side would be sucked down into the outlet hole in the form of a mini 'tornado' and introduce air into the loop once again. Rinse and repeat... :rolleyes:

5.jpg

Conclusion
Good looking reservoir?
Yes.

Does this reservoir have potential?
Absolutely.

Would I recommend this reservoir in its current form?
No.

With some basic modding, one could eliminate the protrusion to the fill hole and address most of the issues arising from this reservoir. But at ~ $50, it's a hard sell to have to take power tools to this pretty piece of acrylic right out of the box.

hope you enjoyed this review.

SS

So basically, same verdict as the alphacool plexi reservoir: looks cool, bad bubble suction effect.

Good to know.

Still, all Typhoon res's are like this!

My Bay res has the fillport "countersunk" into a lower layer of acrylic... That means theres always gonna be like 3-4mm of air at the top of the res...

bad design IMO.

thats too bad... it looks really nice and i wans thinking about getting but i will not now..

BioPort said:
your reservoir wasnt designed for a high flow pump like the ddc.
agreed. I saw some other examples of this res online that worked fine using low flow setups. but I still have to say that it's a bad design in general.

"
But then, all the bubbles that were still bleeding out of the system would then accumulate into the reservoir again. SO i tilted forward and bled it again. But inevitably, the little micro-bubbles that stuck to the inside of the res and tubing started to come free and accumulate once again. - creating more air pockets. "

I disagree with some of your complaints, you make a big deal of the trapped air. every reservior I have ever seen is designed to accumulate air at the top and the point is to not fill them to the tippy top. Frankly this ability to trap air and not having to top off coolant due to loss thru the tubing is the main use of a reservior.

However air is NOT susposed to be sucked back into the loop by the pump and good job pointing out this reservoir is not suited to high flow systems.

BillParrish said:
"
But then, all the bubbles that were still bleeding out of the system would then accumulate into the reservoir again. SO i tilted forward and bled it again. But inevitably, the little micro-bubbles that stuck to the inside of the res and tubing started to come free and accumulate once again. - creating more air pockets. "

I disagree with some of your complaints, you make a big deal of the trapped air. every reservior I have ever seen is designed to accumulate air at the top and the point is to not fill them to the tippy top. Frankly this ability to trap air and not having to top off coolant due to loss thru the tubing is the main use of a reservior.

However air is NOT susposed to be sucked back into the loop by the pump and good job pointing out this reservoir is not suited to high flow systems.
actually - i don't think you disagree. I've bolded your statement that supports this.
I've had two other reservoirs that had acceptable amounts of air.

the only reason i "made a big deal" about trapped air in this res is because the design inevitably sucks that trapped air - no matter how little there is - straight back into the loop due to the high flow / suction.

SO - this particular reservoir requires ZERO air in the reservoir to work properly.

then you get the ill-located fill hole in which it's virtually impossible to remove the air and it results in a catch-22...

/cough BS /cough read your own review again, you clearly state what you consider individual issues. Most reserviors have the fill port below the water level for exaclty the reason you fault this one, to trap air at the top. You may know what you intended to say but the review says something else.

edit, er, think its been established that to work properly this resiervior requires a low flow pump, removing all air from the top of a reservior is not in the design critera.

BillParrish said:
/cough BS /cough read your own review again, you clearly state what you consider individual issues. Most reserviors have the fill port below the water level for exaclty the reason you fault this one, to trap air at the top. You may know what you intended to say but the review says something else.

edit, er, think its been established that to work properly this resiervior requires a low flow pump, removing all air from the top of a reservior is not in the design critera.

Having the fillport below the top is of absolutely no benefit for bleeding air. Having the inlet port below the top helps with bleeding air from the system, though. Having the fillport on the very top (or as high as possible) is absolutely the best position. Period.

BillParrish said:

my god.

I agree that there is no such thing as an air-proof / air-less reservoir. I think we've established that. The reservoirs I've used up to this one have not had to be filled to capacity. But this particular reservoir design completely ignores that fact. The only way for this thing to run universally is for the air to be removed. That's why I brought up the catch-22.

-> res can only work universally with air removed
+
->air can't be removed

= catch 22.

i'm afraid we might be saying the same things in conflicting / confrontational manners

I have had too many issues with T-lines, I'll never go back.. I have 2 of these reservoirs on the way, and was considering inverting the res. and using the fill port as the pump feed and using one of the back ports connected to a DD fill port on the top of the case. That is looking like an even beter idea now. Or add a piece of acrylic over your port to block the funnel effect sort of like the swiftech micro, and others that have added deviders between the inputs and outputs.

So far the best production res. I have ever owned was the criticool waterplant res. 1/4in. thick plexi. cylender with 4 ports(2 top and 2 bottom). Sure wish they still existed, or I had been smart enough to order more than one.

Aronj66 said:
I have had too many issues with T-lines, I'll never go back.. I have 2 of these reservoirs on the way, and was considering inverting the res. and using the fill port as the pump feed and using one of the back ports connected to a DD fill port on the top of the case. That is looking like an even beter idea now. Or add a piece of acrylic over your port to block the funnel effect sort of like the swiftech micro, and others that have added deviders between the inputs and outputs.

So far the best production res. I have ever owned was the criticool waterplant res. 1/4in. thick plexi. cylender with 4 ports(2 top and 2 bottom). Sure wish they still existed, or I had been smart enough to order more than one.
I was thinking the exact same thing about adding a piece of acrylic over the port that goes to the pump. still might do it.
and good call on inverting the res. My best results in terms of removing air / filling came from having the res face down and using one of the back plugs as a fill port.

my other thought on salvaging this res is to put a fill port (drill / tap a hole) on the top right-most part of the res so that there'll be a port at a higher point

but the piece of acrylic may just solve everything...

heh your probally right and an since I havent messed with one of these much less taken the time to let others know what was discovered, I will stfu. sorry.

Aronj66 seems to confirm that, however its said, this res has problems.

If products didn't have problems, msg. boards like these would be virtually silent with only the e-penis posts to read.

Following with interest as have this res and have experienced similar issues. Still trying to sort out a plan of action.

I recieved my clear versions last night.. The only difference mine have is they are missing the third port in the center of the back. I am going to invert mine and have the pump supply pull from the fill port. Since my pump (CSP Mag.) is not really hi-flow, I probably wont have the tornado effect issue.

I think the best thing to do would be to take a dremmel and cut accross the middle hump connecting the 2 sides and possibly even through the fill port hole to aid in bleeding. My only real complaint so far is the lack of more mounting holes, though that is fairly easy to fix as well since these things have nice thick walls, and the fact that they were milled or cast, there are no seams or weak spots to worry about.

Aronj66 said:
I recieved my clear versions last night.. The only difference mine have is they are missing the third port in the center of the back. I am going to invert mine and have the pump supply pull from the fill port. Since my pump (CSP Mag.) is not really hi-flow, I probably wont have the tornado effect issue.

I think the best thing to do would be to take a dremmel and cut accross the middle hump connecting the 2 sides and possibly even through the fill port hole to aid in bleeding. My only real complaint so far is the lack of more mounting holes, though that is fairly easy to fix as well since these things have nice thick walls, and the fact that they were milled or cast, there are no seams or weak spots to worry about.

i've thought about the dremel idea as well as the idea to just make my own fill port on the top right (when looking at it).

as mentioned above, i could also add a piece of acrylic right above the outlet hole to interrupt the little tornado of air going down.

saw this and looks like it's been done before in flat reservoirs...
http://www.xs-pc.co.uk/photo/Bayres/1.jpg

Tonight I added a fill port to what was the back center botom. I didn't have a g1/4 tap to match the others, so the new port is NPT. Then took a dremmel and ground down just in front of the new fill port. Installed inverted as planned. Now the 2 original rear ports are the returns, the original fill port is the pump feed, and the new port is the fill via a DD fill port rez..

2x2svr03.jpg

2x2svr04.jpg

2x2svr07.jpg

2x2svr08.jpg

2x2svr13.jpg

2x2svr16.jpg

2x2svr23.jpg

great work.

did i read right that you dremeled down some of the "hump" that's in the res?
if so - could you provide more pics of dremel-age?

If you look just in front of the brass fitting you can see where part of the hump has been removed. The hole actually goes into part of that center hump.. I then dremmeled n front of the hole smooting it out. its really hard to get a pic of it since its all clear and shinny.. I can't take any more pics of the inside since it now is full of coolant. it allowed me to comletely remove all air.

Back