my system just won't quit freezing out of nowhere, can't overclock

djfsolo

Limp Gawd
Let me just start with :mad:

I am experiencing some problems with my computer using a gigabyte ud3r motherboard. I have tried and tried all sorts of settings in bios but the problems keep coming up, so I am trying to figure out what's to blame- the motherboard, the ram, or my own lack of tech knowledge.

I have my mch core at 1.28V- It was suggested on another forum that I have a bad north bridge and should send my motherboard in for repair. What do you guys think on that?

My computer has had an ongoing problem of freezing- just locking up out of nowhere, midplay in a game, during screensaver, etc- I have been able to keep it from freezing for long intervals of time, but the fact that it still freezes is unacceptable to me. Previously on this forum I was advised that my ram wasn't set up properly- I have it at stock timings and dram voltage at 2.1v

Overheating is ruled out, antec 1200 keeps everything cool to the core.

If I even THINK about overclocking, the system will not boot. My current theory on why the system started freezing a little more frequently is that certain settings are still at the "overclocked" setting (from my attempt using easytuner) and I don't know what/where they are and what to reset them at to keep the system stable. I read that this is a "highly overclockable" motherboard and people getting their Q6600 up to 3.3ghz. Well I am tired of running a handicapped system and want to be able to overclock. Isn't there something wrong with my hardware if it can only run without freezing on somewhat underclocked settings? Don't get me wrong, while the system works, I'm completely satisfied, but I can't have this thing freezing with no warning, ever. System is primarily used for photography/graphics work (Adobe CS4 suite), Audio/Video Editing, Gaming, and general computing.

These are my components:
Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128359
8gb of this Ram: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231145
video: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130400
processor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115017
Western digital drives, all in Antec 1200

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Well your product links are broken therefore useless, sorry. Or at least they don't load for me.

Anyway I would uninstall the easytune software and then load the default settings in the bios. Only change what you need to and ensure the ram is set up properly and save. You can also disable any integrated features you don't use but I don't see this helping you problems.

See if the system is stable after that. If not I would pull 2 of your sticks of ram and try running at 4gig of ram and see if it is stable. If it is at least we know that is where the issue is and I am sure someone can advise on what setting to try to see if you can get it stabilized with all four stick. This is where I suspect your problem is though.

Just reset to optimized defaults in bios. That should set you back to how it used to be.
Easytune is pretty meh for Overclocking iirc.

what troubleshooting have you done?
verified RAM settings? RAM voltage?
try running memtest

if a system will freeze when gaming, and/or when even just at a screensaver, it sounds like a RAM issue, since nothing is being stressed with a screensaver.

I'm sorry about the broken links, they worked originally.
Anyhow.

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

8gb of this: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ - Retail

EVGA GTX-260 core 216 superclocked

Intel Q6600 2.4ghz quad core processor

The bios "auto" settings incorrectly set up the system which is why I haven't reverted to "optimized defaults"- took me a while to dig myself out of those horrid settings

I have had the Ram set to the specified settings 5-5-5-15, 2.1v- it has passed memtest, windows mem diagnostic with flying colors over and over, left on overnight to be sure.

Is it possible that the RAM I installed in the system is no good? Not as in structurally faulty or anything, but just that being the novice I am, I picked the wrong speed or something?

Isn't it odd that I can't tweak anything at all without system failure?

And even though easytune is by far not the best way to overclock, I still thought my board would and should be able to handle stage 1 or w.e., given my components and cooling.

Thanks for the help thus far, please keep it coming, and don't be afraid to give me some blunt advice.

I also haven't flashed the bios since I've had the board because according to the info on the website, it is for something unrelated to my problems

Also where the hell do you hook up the case audio to this damn thing, I can't find it!!!

if it's like the ud3p, it should be by the rear side of pci-e x16 #1

It's green on mine

what troubleshooting have you done?
verified RAM settings? RAM voltage?
try running memtest

if a system will freeze when gaming, and/or when even just at a screensaver, it sounds like a RAM issue, since nothing is being stressed with a screensaver.

Not sure I would say that, he could have a problem with his video card since some screen savers are 3d. And I may start leaning this direction myself if the system crashes with just two stick of ram in.

I'm sorry about the broken links, they worked originally.
Anyhow.

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

8gb of this: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ - Retail

EVGA GTX-260 core 216 superclocked

Intel Q6600 2.4ghz quad core processor

The bios "auto" settings incorrectly set up the system which is why I haven't reverted to "optimized defaults"- took me a while to dig myself out of those horrid settings

I have had the Ram set to the specified settings 5-5-5-15, 2.1v- it has passed memtest, windows mem diagnostic with flying colors over and over, left on overnight to be sure.

Is it possible that the RAM I installed in the system is no good? Not as in structurally faulty or anything, but just that being the novice I am, I picked the wrong speed or something?

Isn't it odd that I can't tweak anything at all without system failure?

And even though easytune is by far not the best way to overclock, I still thought my board would and should be able to handle stage 1 or w.e., given my components and cooling.

Thanks for the help thus far, please keep it coming, and don't be afraid to give me some blunt advice.

Even though it passes memtest I would pull 2 sticks and see if your crashing goes away.

BTW sorry if I missed it but what OS are your running?

My Q6600 that I just replaced was great on stability even with 4 sticks of ram in the system. However even with only 2 sticks of ram in my system I couldn't get mine to overclock worth a damn. My first C2D an E6400 I think it was overclocked with minimal effort on my part but not not my Quad.

Also a BIOS reset to defaults really shouldn't leave you having to change all that much. Most things should default to the proper settings. Your ram however is a none standard speed but should still have default SPD setting for DDR2 800Mhz and I assume that's what your running it at?

I am running Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit.

I'm pretty sure the graphics card isn't faulty. Screen saver is not 3D. The most recent freeze was during internet browsing.

It's difficult to test whether or not the crashing "goes away" per say. My system hasn't crashed in 3 months when it decided to do so a week ago, then a couple more times since. It's a ghost problem that's really annoying, been hanging around since I built the system in december 08- granted it was much more severe initially.

I really want to use 8gb of ram, seeing as ram is already the target for blame - I consider taking any sticks of ram out to be pointless for the time being- Great if it can run on 6gb, but I want 8gb- I do a LOT of multitasking, tons of multilayered files in photoshop/lightroom, lots of channels of recording, so I do assure you I'm not just trying to show off or anything. According to my system monitor, 8gb is just about right when I'm going full throttle on this thing.

I've read several reviews of the Q6600 being able to overclock to even 3.4ghz, but honestly I'm not even trying to shoot for the stars or anything, maybe 2.8/3ghz on stock cooling until I feel like getting something nicer for it.

The ram is indeed running at 800mhz, do you think it is impossible for me to run it any faster? Should I just buy new ram if I want better performance out of my memory?

Thanks again for your replies

Well then I think the next step would be to follow some of the guides on stress testing.

If you can get your system to reliably crash during stress testing it will make testing possible solutions much easier.

Anyway as far as your memory performance is concerned I believe the Core2 gets the best performance with a 1 to 1 ratio. I believe the Q6600 has a 1066 quad pumped bus so that puts you at 533 for the ram. You current ram is overkill for your CPU at stock speeds.

I am running Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit.

I'm pretty sure the graphics card isn't faulty. Screen saver is not 3D. The most recent freeze was during internet browsing.

It's difficult to test whether or not the crashing "goes away" per say. My system hasn't crashed in 3 months when it decided to do so a week ago, then a couple more times since. It's a ghost problem that's really annoying, been hanging around since I built the system in december 08- granted it was much more severe initially.

I really want to use 8gb of ram, seeing as ram is already the target for blame - I consider taking any sticks of ram out to be pointless for the time being- Great if it can run on 6gb, but I want 8gb- I do a LOT of multitasking, tons of multilayered files in photoshop/lightroom, lots of channels of recording, so I do assure you I'm not just trying to show off or anything. According to my system monitor, 8gb is just about right when I'm going full throttle on this thing.

I've read several reviews of the Q6600 being able to overclock to even 3.4ghz, but honestly I'm not even trying to shoot for the stars or anything, maybe 2.8/3ghz on stock cooling until I feel like getting something nicer for it.

The ram is indeed running at 800mhz, do you think it is impossible for me to run it any faster? Should I just buy new ram if I want better performance out of my memory?

Thanks again for your replies

What I think a previous poster was trying to say is that you want to remove pairs of RAM at a time to test which RAM is faulty. Unfortunately, since you can't recreate the problem, it would be tough to test it. It sounds like it could be a RAM problem if you are just freezing up during internet browsing. I would also suggest running memtest overnight on each set of RAM. Only sure-fire way to tell whether or not your ram is faulty. Good luck.

did you try to run the system with only 2 sticks of ram to see if it still freezes?

Thanks all for your help,

Could you be more specific about "stress testing," what is that, prime95 or something?

Concerning the ram, when I was previously diagnosing this problem I already did exactly what you guys are requesting- ran the computer with each separate stick separately, ran and passed memtest, did the same with 2, 3, and finally 4 sticks.

If my current ram is "overkill" for my setup, are you saying in other words that getting higher speed out of my memory simply isn't possible?

Concerning performance, these are the reviews I am trying to replicate.

#1.)

Pros: I traded my e7300 + 60 USD for a Q6600 G0 stepping and wow. My 3dmark score went up 2K when I clocked this at 3.6GHz. Right now I have it running happily at 3.825GHz with 1.568v in CPUz

Cons: It does not have the SSE 4.1 instruction set and runs HOT! This beast can hit 77C at 3.834GHz w/ 1.568v in CPUz on my S1283! That is HOT! I recommend not going above 71C but since I am a nut, I think I will just stay here

Other Thoughts: Never give an overclocking junky a new toy. I took this baby to 4.0. I managed to get a 3Dmark 06 out of it (mind you this is on air) and a validation on CPUz before it crashed :D

#2.)

Pros: Ordered on 1/7, had it shipped by FedEx. Received a G0 SLACR from CA warehouse. Dropped it into a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L, Put a Tuniq Tower on top, 2 sticks of G.Skill DDR2 800 RAM with the red spreaders and it booted right up. Installed Vista, went in the BIOS changed CPU frequency to 333, left multiplier at 9 and left the voltage on auto and my computer is SMOKING FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!

-

at any rate it seems very possible to overclock this CPU with very similar components to what I have, which is why I'm blaming something bigger like my motherboard. This is entirely out of intuition as my technical expertise with computers is of a novice. Ask me about cameras or pro audio and thats a different story but for now I'm retarded ;)

I hate to sound like a robot, but did you reload optimized for the entire bios, or just one menu?

I have made the same mistake a few times in my bios before.

Just double check that everything is stock.

Everything is now officially stock, aside from my own changes made to MCH core voltage, dRAM voltage, and ram timings (to specified settings)

Computer will freeze if the MCH core voltage is not changed, I don't even know what the heck this is, I was just experimenting one day and it worked - I tested to make sure it was indeed the mch core.

What's the minimum vdimm for your memory? I have the same board and am using some Gskill rated 1.8-1.9v. I was running everything on auto (set vdimm to 1.8v) and things seemed fine, then out of the blue I had a BSOD. Happened so quick I couldn't see the error message. I decided to up my vdimm to 1.9v and things have been fine for the last month. This board probably undervolts a little bit so go a little higher on the vdimm to compensate.

Everything is now officially stock, aside from my own changes made to MCH core voltage, dRAM voltage, and ram timings (to specified settings)

Computer will freeze if the MCH core voltage is not changed, I don't even know what the heck this is, I was just experimenting one day and it worked - I tested to make sure it was indeed the mch core.

It's related to your northbridge. Since you are filling all four of your RAM slots, you'll need to compensate with more voltage. Try above 1.3V (or whatever is the most stable in your situation).

Try increasing your vdimm like fsh42na said. If it's rated at 2.0-2.1V, try 2.2V.

ok thank you, I will try that.

I will up from 2.1 to 2.2 and increase mch core to 1.3 and see how it goes.

I have an Antec quattro 1000W, it is about 8 months old, as old as the other components in the system.

On another note I have a few additional, minor gripes with the system.
My cd drive doesn't recognize discs immediately. I will put in a disc, no autoplay ever comes up. When I doubleclick the drive in my computer, it will sometimes think it is still empty, or that it still contains the disc that was previously inserted. If I re-insert the disc and then explore the drive on my computer, it now recognizes it. It's just a bit slow to notice CDs--- drivers are up to date, is this a vista quirk?

Also I am trying to configure a Lacie quadra 1TB external HD to work via eSATA and having some difficulties. The gigabyte motherboard came with a dual SATA slot card that fits in the back of the case, not the pci, and connects to the sata ports on the motherboard. The only way I've been able to get the drive to recognized through this connection is to "scan for hardware changes" - which then activates it and the drive is recognized. Just now however the two partitions I formatted on the drive (fat 32 and ntfs) fell off the grid (my computer) and I can now find no way of restoring it's presence through control panel or anything. It's just gone. The drive only reacts normally when connected via usb but I obviously want to use it with eSATA or at the very least firewire. I'm sorry if my explanations are unclear. Any help at all would be appreciated, thank you.

Back