• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

My system build, any input? Thanks!

foster74

n00b
Joined
Apr 21, 2013
Messages
14
It will be a gaming and work pc. I will make use of the 16gb of ram, and the processor. I still don't have any idea on video card/s though.

Any suggestions for improvements?

Thanks!

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/SYHD

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/SYHD
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/SYHD/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/SYHD/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($79.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme6 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($154.98 @ Outlet PC)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($229.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Wireless Network Adapter: Rosewill RNX-N250PCe 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($21.51 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master Cosmos II (Black) ATX Full Tower Case ($250.00 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk II 950W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($137.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.98 @ Outlet PC)
Other: ACHIEVA Shimian QH270-Lite 27" LED IPS Quad HD DVI 2560x1440 16:9 6ms PC Monitor ($349.90)
Other: ACHIEVA Shimian QH270-Lite 27" LED IPS Quad HD DVI 2560x1440 16:9 6ms PC Monitor ($349.90)
Other: ACHIEVA Shimian QH270-Lite 27" LED IPS Quad HD DVI 2560x1440 16:9 6ms PC Monitor ($349.90)
 
Please answer the stickied "ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS FIRST!" so that we can help you better.
 
7680 x 1440?

Yes


Please answer the stickied "ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS FIRST!" so that we can help you better.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Gaming and Work (Programming, Large Spreadsheets, CPU/RAM intensive testing.)
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
No real budget.
3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
Arkansas
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
Everything listed plus GPU/s.
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
PSU, but am open to the idea of buying a new one, but I don't think it's needed.
6) Will you be overclocking?
Yes
7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
7680x1440, will most likely be gaming at 2560x1440 often, due to game requirements.
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Immediately
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc
CrossfireX/SLI support, SATA 6Gb/s, USB 3.0.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
I'll be dual booting 64bit XP and 64bit Win7. I have not purchased windows 7 yet.
 
Since you don't live near a Microcenter, do note that you will have to pay the full $320 for the Core i7 3770K. That $230 MC price is for in-store only.

Motherboard wise, that AsRock should be ok but I recommend taking a look at the Asus P8Z77-V LK or the MSI Z77A-GD55.

RAM wise, since you didn't give us a solid budget, get another set of that Crucial RAM to max out at 32GB of RAM

NIC wise, I recommend getting the more reputable Asus wireless NIC instead:
$27 - Asus PCE-N15 Wireless Adapter

Just to be clear, you're reusing a PC P&C 950W PSU, correct?

Case wise, that case is really only worth getting at its $250 promo price. That promo ends today. Once that promo ends, that case is a terrible choice for the money.

Video card wise, again, since you didn't give us a solid budget, I'm just gonna recommend two GTX Titan cards in SLI :D

OS wise, make sure to get Windows 7 Pro as Windows 7 HP doesn't support more than 16GB of RAM.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I would get a Gigabyte boarrd, especially on that price range, like a UD5H. I would actually get X79 with a 3820. For video cards, anything from eVGA or MSI or Saphire. I would get one of these for gaming depending on your budget, and at 1440P you will want 3 GB of vRAM: GTX 660 Ti 3 gb, HD 7950 3 GB, or a GTX 670 4 GB
 
Since you don't live near a Microcenter, do note that you will have to pay the full $320 for the Core i7 3770K. That $230 MC price is for in-store only.

Motherboard wise, that AsRock should be ok but I recommend taking a look at the Asus P8Z77-V LK or the MSI Z77A-GD55.

RAM wise, since you didn't give us a solid budget, get another set of that Crucial RAM to max out at 32GB of RAM

NIC wise, I recommend getting the more reputable Asus wireless NIC instead:
$27 - Asus PCE-N15 Wireless Adapter

Just to be clear, you're reusing a PC P&C 950W PSU, correct?

Case wise, that case is really only worth getting at its $250 promo price. That promo ends today. Once that promo ends, that case is a terrible choice for the money.

Video card wise, again, since you didn't give us a solid budget, I'm just gonna recommend two GTX Titan cards in SLI :D

OS wise, make sure to get Windows 7 Pro as Windows 7 HP doesn't support more than 16GB of RAM.


Thanks for all the great info! :D I'm trying not to spend over $1000 on GPU/s.




I would get a Gigabyte boarrd, especially on that price range, like a UD5H. I would actually get X79 with a 3820. For video cards, anything from eVGA or MSI or Saphire. I would get one of these for gaming depending on your budget, and at 1440P you will want 3 GB of vRAM: GTX 660 Ti 3 gb, HD 7950 3 GB, or a GTX 670 4 GB

Thanks for the input! May I ask the main reason to go x79 over x77?

Thanks!
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I would get a Gigabyte boarrd, especially on that price range, like a UD5H. I would actually get X79 with a 3820. For video cards, anything from eVGA or MSI or Saphire. I would get one of these for gaming depending on your budget, and at 1440P you will want 3 GB of vRAM: GTX 660 Ti 3 gb, HD 7950 3 GB, or a GTX 670 4 GB
Thanks for the input! May I ask the main reason to go x79 over x77?

The only legitimate reason, regarding your needs, is to provide a future upgrade path. Intel's Haswell processors and Socket 1150 motherboards will replace the Sandy/Ivy Bridge processors and Socket 1155 boards within the next few months. Naturally, Haswell and Ivy Bridge are incompatible with each other.

Right now, however, what you've chosen is more than good enough. (Still, listen to Danny Bui on the motherboard and video cards.)
 
2 GTX 670s 4 GBs would be best as Danny Bui said. Upgrade path is why you shoulg get X79 as triaides said. I try not to go Asus because of my many bad expierences with Asus, mainly in support. MSI is good, and so is Gigabyte but in that Price Range I would get the Gigabyte UD5H for Z77, or the GIGABYTE GA-X79-UP4 which is giving free 8 GB of RAM if you buy it.
 
2 GTX 670s 4 GBs would be best as Danny Bui said. Upgrade path is why you shoulg get X79 as triaides said. I try not to go Asus because of my many bad expierences with Asus, mainly in support. MSI is good, and so is Gigabyte but in that Price Range I would get the Gigabyte UD5H for Z77, or the GIGABYTE GA-X79-UP4 which is giving free 8 GB of RAM if you buy it.

Uh, I didn't recommend going with X79. And the OP didn't mention whether or not he's a constant upgrader.

Your personal experiences notwithstanding, Gigabyte is about the same in terms of overall quality and support as Asus.
 
Support has sucked over the last couple years and so has the RMA service the last couple years, we're as gigabyte has fine support and a okay RMA service from what I have used, and this isn't just my expirence, it's multiple were as nobody has problems with gigabyte. And if he just upgrades once every 5 years and he can only afford a new cpu he will be able to get a newer CPU that LGA 1155.
 
Support has sucked over the last couple years and so has the RMA service the last couple years, we're as gigabyte has fine support and a okay RMA service from what I have used, and this isn't just my expirence, it's multiple were as nobody has problems with gigabyte. And if he just upgrades once every 5 years and he can only afford a new cpu he will be able to get a newer CPU that LGA 1155.

Asus isn't the worst motherboard manufacturer on the planet. I'm not arguing that its customer service and RMA process has slipped over the past few years. But the overall quality of the majority of its boards is not as bad as you're trying to make it.

And there's no guarantee that he'll be able to find a new Socket 2011 processor or motherboard two or more years from now, especially if Intel sticks with its current plans (separate "mainstream" and "enthusiast" lines, alternating tick/tock CPU upgrade cycle every 12 to 24 months). For all we know, the OP may stick with whatever he chooses for another five years, if not longer.
 
I will like to point out that I've dealt with ASUS support twice in the past 12 months and have not had a single issue with them fulfilling my RMA requests. One was a monitor that had a dark patch in the upper right corner and the other was GPU who's fan failed.

I currently own an ASUS motherboard, display and router and have not had a single issue out of either one of them. The display that was RMA'd was not mine, it was a friend of mine who has 3 ASUS displays now in an eyefinity setup. He also had to RMA a Gigabyte motherboard that failed to boot/POST and had no issues with that process either.
 
Back
Top