• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

My results using Humus' tweak..

Rizen

[H]F Junkie
2FA
Joined
Jul 16, 2000
Messages
9,509
No artifacting as far as I can see. System in the sig.

1024x768 High Quality - No Control Panel Forced AF
Pre-Humus Tweak: 45.6
Post-Humus Tweak: 46.9
Difference: 1.3fps, or 2.8%

1024x768 High Quality - 8X Control Panel Forced AF
Pre-Humus: Tweak 39.0
Post-Humus Tweak: 46.4
Difference: 7.4fps, or 18.9%

The 8X Forced AF looks higher quality (I haven't actually tested this, but given the frame rate drop pre-humus tweak and from what I have read, this appears to be true) so basically the tweak gives you full 8X AF "for free". Those of you only getting slight increases may want to check how the game responds to you forcing AF.

Please don't let this degrade into a flame fest. And please feel free to share YOUR results! :)
 
mine (pre/post):
640x480 LQ 85.0/86.4 +1.6%
800x600 MQ 85.0/86.0 +1.2%
1024x768 HQ 84.6/82.5 -2.5%
1600x1200 HQ 65.6/57.1 -13%
1600x1200 UQ 63.0/54.8 -13%

:p

Catalyst 4.9 Beta has texture artifacting (not specular... although that also looks different from the original shader). See pages 27-28 in the beyond3d thread. The R3x0 has it whether or not you force AF and the x800s have it if you don't force AF.
 
pxc said:
mine (pre/post):
640x480 LQ 85.0/86.4 +1.6%
800x600 MQ 85.0/86.0 +1.2%
1024x768 HQ 84.6/82.5 -2.5%
1600x1200 HQ 65.6/57.1 -13%
1600x1200 UQ 63.0/54.8 -13%

:p

Catalyst 4.9 Beta has texture artifacting (not specular... although that also looks different from the original shader). See pages 27-28 in the beyond3d thread. The R3x0 has it whether or not you force AF and the x800s have it if you don't force AF.
You don't have an ATI card you goof, it's obviously not going to be an improvement for you :)

And btw, on page 29 it says forcing CP AF = fixed artifacts? :confused:
 
Rizen said:
And btw, on page 29 it says forcing CP AF = fixed artifacts? :confused:
for the x800, not R3x0 cards. Go back a couple of pages. Two different people posted pictures of the same problem. It's not a big deal, it just doesn't look perfect. And 4.9 drivers are beta right now anyways.
 
pxc said:
for the x800, not R3x0 cards. Go back a couple of pages. Two different people posted pictures of the same problem. It's not a big deal, it just doesn't look perfect. And 4.9 drivers are beta right now anyways.
Ah.

Oh well. I don't notice anything right now. Game looks fantastic to me.
 
tranCendenZ said:
yeh, looks like you need to force AF through ati drivers to avoid artifacting.
I only lose .5 fps doing so, and apparently the quality is nicer than the in-game AF. I'm not complaining (especially since these are beta drivers.)

I'm really happy with how well this game runs now.

Before the cache + Humus tweaks, I was running 1024x768 Medium w/ no AF, now I am running 1024x768 High Quality with 8X AF, and it's running FASTER. :)
 
On my xt PE at stock speeds 520/560 using the latest tweak i'm getting (pre/post)

1024x768 58/72 with forced AF in CP

I'll have to try higher res and see the gains there (I typically play at 1024x768).

I havent noticed any artifacts and the game appears to look the same IQ wise. With the original tweak I didn't notice the white pixels but I did notice the missing textures (? white outline on some walls).

BTW thanks for starting a new thread with results, hopefully some members wont come here to thread crap...
 
gsboriqua said:
On my xt PE at stock speeds 520/560 using the latest tweak i'm getting (pre/post)

1024x768 58/72 with forced AF in CP

I'll have to try higher res and see the gains there (I typically play at 1024x768).

I havent noticed any artifacts and the game appears to look the same IQ wise. With the original tweak I didn't notice the white pixels but I did notice the missing textures (? white outline on some walls).

BTW thanks for starting a new thread with results, hopefully some members wont come here to thread crap...
Very nice results. +14fps = wow.

There are definitely some performance gains to be had with the X800 series of GPUs.
 
Just got done messing with these tweaks and found the following:

The configs are same as out of box with no other tweaks, all testing was with command line "timedemo demo1"

1280 x 1024 (2x AA w/ temporal active and 16 x AF) w/ HQ setting in Doom3

Before tweaks: 38.0
After tweaks: 51.3

1024 x 768 (2x AA w/ temporal active and 16 x AF) w/ HQ setting in Doom3

Before tweaks: 62.3
After tweaks: 71.4

I gave the same setting on the 1280 x 1024 but tried UHQ settings and got 48.1.

Specs
A64 3500+ at stock speeds for test
1GIG RAM
X800 Pro running stock for tests w/ CAT 4.9 beta off ATI site

I played through some levels already played and find is smoother overall with no IQ loss that I can see. A big thank you goes out of Humus! I'm sure we will be seeing more improvements outside the drivers once all the brains figure out how to reverse engineer the shaders to compliment all video cards.
 
I tried to run the same tests at 1600 x 1200 but the game wouldn't let me keep the settings (kept reverting back to 600 x 480). Anyone else run into this problem? I would like to see what it does at higher resolutions.

btw: Dell 19" Ultrasharp LCD might be the problem since it doesn't support 1600 x 1200, but not sure if the game cares.
 
R1ckCa1n said:
I tried to run the same tests at 1600 x 1200 but the game wouldn't let me keep the settings (kept reverting back to 600 x 480). Anyone else run into this problem? I would like to see what it does at higher resolutions.
Man, when I first installed Doom 3 it wouldn't let me change my res from 640 x 480 either! It was so retarded. So I reinstalled and it works fine now. Maybe if you look around in the config files you'll find some commands to mess around with?
 
just to add more results to the list...

i never ran the timedemo, but during gameplay i definitely get higher fps's than before. my fps's increased from 5fps in some parts all the way to 15fps in others.

I'm using the 4.9 beta's for my drivers and my settings are 1600x1200, noAA/16xAF, high quality. My x800pro is running at 525/550 for everyday use.
 
I had excellent results using these tweaks as well. before applying the following, I was experiencing huge delays when opening doors (severely impacting game play) and could not run run the game above 1024x768 at medium quality. Even at 1024x768 medium quality I was getting the door opening delays, but I had found this to be the highest playable resolution I could attain due to the stuttering when entering new environments.

The first thing I did was edit the doomcfg file as noted below:

(pulled from http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=17732)

seta image_useCache "1" == originally – 0
seta image_cacheMegs "512" == Originally 20 (set this to half your total system ram)
seta image_cacheMinK "20480" == originally 200 (change or will crash when u set usecache to 1)
seta com_showFPS "1" == originally 0 to show your FPS
seta com_videoram "128" (you'll have to add this value to the CFG file)

At this point, I did the Humus tweak and then installed the new 4.9 drivers over the 4.7s. AF was set to 8x in the control panel and doom3 launched. After four or five hours of playing through the game on a few different levels, I have found that I am now able to run the game at 1280x1024 at HIGH detail, with NO stuttering when opening doors (the most marked improvement for me by far) and the displayed FPS never dropping below 24 or so and usually staying in the 40-60 range. Huge props to the people who came up with these tweaks..I was about to throw down more cash for a 6800 card but it now looks like the 9800 pro I have is going to be staying in the box for a while longer.
 
I still have a bit of stutters (128MB video RAM and 512MB system RAM is the likely culprit) but they are no where near as bad as before the Humus + cache tweaks. It's definitely playable.
 
Back
Top