MY R390X Predictions

Lord_Exodia

Supreme [H]ardness
This card will be coming in 4 days.

Source: latest Twitter Post https://twitter.com/amd_roy/status/513467158316077057

I believe this card will be a Tonga Replacement for the R290X

At first I was thinking it may be a card to compete the with GTX970 in price/performance but who am I kidding. The GTX 970 is so close to the 980 a slight overclock would net them the highest performing GPU on the market.

I 100% believe they will have the fastest card but I have a gut feeling of the following.

Their card will have a high TDP 250 Watt -300 Watt, It will not bring anything really innovative to the table e.g. DSR, MFAA type of feature. Not to say that AMD doesn't have some innovative stuff already. :)

This card will be a bare muscle flex to take the crown from Nvidia and hurt their sales as close to their launch as possible. I do not believe Nvidia will have an answer to this shy of doing a quick overclock version of the same cards.

I also predict a price war and that I will either be getting a price match from Newegg or Exchanging my cards :D

Thinking about this now, I think the card coming will not be called the R390X, they'll call it the R390 probably :)

you think cards will be available in 4 days? that would be glorious...

talk dirty now, predict some juicy specs :D

(In Sultry Female voice)

I see the current implementation of Tonga having much more compression on a 256 Bit bus but just like the R290X this will be the case but on a 512 Bit bus. I'm thinking 6GB since they can save on the ram because of the efficiencies gained by the compression. 8GB will not be necessary. We may be talking about the ultimate 4K Gaming Card.

Other than that the basic Powertune, bridgeless crossfire, true audio and freesync improvements you can expect.

Last edited:
Just seems crazy AMD would be releasing new cards in 4 days considering there's been practically no leaks. I can't remember the last time that's happened, we had plenty of Tonga and Tahiti leaks before release. Same goes for Maxwell, Kepler, Fermi, etc.

My bet is on a price reduction for the R9 290s.

Why would they hype a price drop like this? Unless they drop the 290 to $200 and the 290x to $300.

I'd like real time ray-tracing in all the games... :eek:

Why would they hype a price drop like this? Unless they drop the 290 to $200 and the 290x to $300.

There's no big hype campaign, it's just a Twitter tweet. Unless something more materializes in the next few days I am not convinced it's a new GPU.

no way amd will have a card ready to release in 4 day. in this word of leaks, we would have heard about it months ago. they may show us a card that is coming out, but no way it will be ready to release in 4 day.

Who is to say that the card has not been ready as it taped out with Tonga and that card is in the market already..

AMD has been getting better at disinformation to no information and why Nvidia always needs two jabs at there product because they don't know and after the HD5870 flooded them for (8 months) it was a wake up call ..

Tonga was just bait to make Nvidia feel safe enough to release there cards and let AMD see what they had so moving forward I think AMD's products can handle 970/980GTX and why we have a green light..

Me.. I think color compression and stacked memory is whats coming..because AMD is the kind of company that could pulled that off because of there APU work.

Also.. where is Kyle been of late as I have seen Brent handling the Nvidia fanboys event over there..

Last edited:
no way amd will have a card ready to release in 4 day. in this word of leaks, we would have heard about it months ago. they may show us a card that is coming out, but no way it will be ready to release in 4 day.

Yeah, calm your tits people.

Come on. They held the Radeon 285X out of the August launch for this. It will be the GTX970's main competition. There is no way they stacked memory on the 28nm process. I do believe a new compression algorithm through new drivers with the launch of the new 285X will make it competitive at a $299 price point. <-----That's your huge secret from Roy@AMD. That fruitcake did this crap before only to let people down. Don't know why people listen to his crap. He is just trying to slow down the frenzy where every GTX 900 series is sold out now across the whole country practically.

There's no big hype campaign, it's just a Twitter tweet. Unless something more materializes in the next few days I am not convinced it's a new GPU.

its more than one tweet.

One from Roy last month saying something exciting is coming, then the one yesterday

and 2 tweets with graphics saying something with red and blue pills is coming Thursday.

its more than one tweet.

One from Roy last month saying something exciting is coming, then the one yesterday

and 2 tweets with graphics saying something with red and blue pills is coming Thursday.

The blue/red pill thing makes me think it is more CPU / APU related.

Come on. They held the Radeon 285X out of the August launch for this. It will be the GTX970's main competition. There is no way they stacked memory on the 28nm process. I do believe a new compression algorithm through new drivers with the launch of the new 285X will make it competitive at a $299 price point. <-----That's your huge secret from Roy@AMD. That fruitcake did this crap before only to let people down. Don't know why people listen to his crap. He is just trying to slow down the frenzy where every GTX 900 series is sold out now across the whole country practically.

Dont be such a party pooper, it gives us something to speculate about.

Dont be such a party pooper, it gives us something to speculate about.
Yup, that's a big part of the fun of in being a computer hardware enthusiast. There is no harm in letting one's imagination run a bit wild.

If AMD really has a new card coming out Thursday well I will feel bad for Brent.

That mofo never gets enough sleep when he does a new GPU Review.

Plus im sure he is doing an SLI/Overclocking review.

If AMD really has a new card coming out Thursday well I will feel bad for Brent.

That mofo never gets enough sleep when he does a new GPU Review.

Plus im sure he is doing an SLI/Overclocking review.

Yeah true that. He's definitely not getting any sleep to do yet another new high end card article.

At least for the SLi review and overclocking review he can add the AMD cards into the fold and make a SLi vs Crossfire review and Overclocked vs Overclocked review. We're talking 4 days wait and I'm sure those articles aren't ready yet. That will only delay the articles another few days and that to me would be worth it.

While it's nice to think they'll release a 290X successor soon, I think they would have hyped it up during their 30-year anniversary event if it was this close.

I almost want to buy nVidia out of spite of this vagueness from AMD. What are they thinking? So many people already bought 970s and 980s that had no idea something is happening Thursday.

I actually had cards in my cart, decided to visit some more threads and saw AMD was vaguely up to something so I am now waiting.

If it is an AIO card that destroys the 980 it is up my alley. I'd much prefer one fantastic card than multiple good ones, skip the sli crossfire garbage. Don't really give a damn if it pulls 300, 400 or 1000 watts if I can use one card.

While it's nice to think they'll release a 290X successor soon, I think they would have hyped it up during their 30-year anniversary event if it was this close.

But it makes business sense to wait since everyone knew Nvidia was releasing a new card on Sept 19th.

I predict 128 ROPS and 256 TMU's and a 768-bit bus because we all know that anything less than 512-bit is for pussies.

I predict 128 ROPS and 256 TMU's and a 768-bit bus because we all know that anything less than 512-bit is for pussies.

image.jpg

It's impossible to have a 390X without a die shrink.

It's wishful thinking to expect 96 ROPS to be on anything but 20nm. The sheer die size on 28nm would make such a card impractical and cost prohibitive.

It's impossible to have a 390X without a die shrink.

It's wishful thinking to expect 96 ROPS to be on anything but 20nm. The sheer die size on 28nm would make such a card impractical and cost prohibitive.

That's true but you are overlooking one thing. This go around AMD is using crystals made of pure Dylithium. :D

Water Cooled edition with a free bottle of Liquid Schwartz for the reservoir?

This is only logical, seeing as the card is being powered by dylithium crystals we have to protect ourselves from the radiation.

"we designed the card to run well on 120 degrees"

i hope its Fiji i have no joy seeing my computer melt

Other than that coming AMD GPU
I would like to see a 200 buck R9 290 and 250 R9 290X LOL
Call me cheap!

Other than that coming AMD GPU
I would like to see a 200 buck R9 290 and 250 R9 290X LOL
Call me cheap!

I predict that absolutely WILL happen. However the R9 290 will be discontinued so that price will last until the cards don't. The 290X on the other hand will be at $250 until they replace it with something more worthy performance wise.

I also predict the R390 will tell the GTX 980 to..

"Say my Name"

Snip, I removed a Heisenberg meme that may have been offensive to some, just in case. It basically said the above phrase.

Last edited:
Back