• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

My Problem

docdizzle

n00b
Joined
Oct 10, 2010
Messages
3
Ok, so about mid-late August I built my desktop with the following specs:

MSI 870A-G54
AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2GHz (no O/C)
4GB Corsair XMS DDR3 1333MHz
1GB Sapphire Radeon 9770HD
Cheap Gigabyte Case
OCZ Fatal1ty 550W PSU
1TB Hitachi 7200RPM
Rosewill Wifi NIC
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Now, every so often (could be after 1 hour, 1 day, or 1 week of uptime, inconsistent) it locks up and has to be rebooted. This gets rather tiresome being a full-time college student and having to type papers and do online quizzes. I'm not sure what could be the culprit, but I'm leaning kind of towards the wireless card. Problem is, I can' do wired in my apartment because... my apartment sucks. Any ideas?
 
[Testing the RAM]
Download Memtest86+ v4.00 or whatever the latest version is, unzip it, burn the ISO file to a CD, and then boot from it, just like you would do with the XP/Vista install CD. Let Memtest+ run for at least three hours on each stick of RAM separately as well as test the RAM all together. Go for a full 24 hours if you want to be completely sure that the RAM is not a problem. If you start seeing errors, than your RAM is defective or you have incorrect settings for the RAM.

[Testing the Hard Drive]
Download the CD image of Hitachi Drive Fitness Test, burn the ISO file to a CD, and then boot from it, just like you would do with the XP/Vista install CD. Test the hard drive and see if any problems are found. DFT will run on most manufacturers' hard drives. Alternatively, you can use Seagate's SeaTools for DOS to test a Seagate or Maxtor drive. For a Western Digital drive, you could use Data Lifeguard Tools for DOS to test a Western Digital drive.

[Testing the CPU]
Use Prime 95, OCCT, Orthos or Intel Burn Tool to stress test the CPU.

[Testing the GPU]
Use Furmark or ATI Tool to stress test the GPU. If you see any artifacts, the GPU could be overheating, too overclocked, or faulty.
 
Thanks, I'm getting the utilities now. My biggest suspects currently are the RAM and harddrive, as Hitachi seems to have a bit of a bad reputation (though I've only ever had WD drives up and fail on me)... And as I type this from my netbook my desktop has once again frozen while loading Windows... At this point I don't think it's the GPU.

And it might be worth mentioning, I've not O/C'ed anything.
 
Ok, I have memtest running now. But I had to reboot it because it locked up before I could even get into the BIOS. At this point I'm about 95% sure it's a RAM issue, because it didn't get to the point where it could indicate a harddrive problem.
 
Back
Top