• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

My Prelim Build

Burpy

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 27, 2005
Messages
504
Building a new system & would appreciate some advice.
​

- Primary use will be Gaming.
- Plan on OverClocking the Q6600 to 3GHz Max.
- Budget at $1500 Max.

~ The Build ~

MB: ABIT IP35-E

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 + Thermalright Ultima-90 HeatSink

RAM: Patriot 4GB (2x2GB) PC2 6400

PSU: CORSAIR 520HX

OS: Vista Home Premium Upgrade

Display: Soyo 24" DYLM24D6

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 320GB

Sound: X-Fi XtremeMusic

GPU: eVGA 8800GT or GTS (G92)

Case: Cooler Master Centurion 5

I plan on having this build done within the first week of December.
All advice are very much appreciated.
​

My Prelim Build​
 
Looks good however I would consider dropping the sound card as onboard has come a long way in recent years. Also you will want a good aftermarket heatsink for oc'ing a quad.
 
Either of those boards would be fine. If you need legacy ports, go with the Gigabyte. The Abit IP35-E's seem to suffer from the dual-boot issue more than the DS3L's, but there's supposedly a BIOS update to remedy this issue. With or without a fix, its nothing to worry about.

X-Fi's don't play well with Vista. I agree with RoBo, try out the onboard first, and if you don't like it, add a soundcard later -- and pray Creative fixes the driver issues with Vista -- or have they already done so? :p

Get an eVGA card now, and step up if the updated GTS is much better.

Seagates have a 5yr warranty and can sometimes be loud. WDs only have a 3yr warranty but are supposedly quieter than the 'cudas. Either should perform fine for the 500GB drives. If goin for 250 or 320GB, I believe the Seagates are slightly faster.

Which case will you be using?

For a monitor, if you get a 24" (1920x1200), you'll most likely want GT cards in SLI or a single GTX/Ultra instead of a single GT for native resolution gaming, unless you're not picky. If you'd rather not dump a whole load of money into GPUs for a 24" monitor, go with a 22" monitor instead @ 1680x1050.

I agree, you should get a 3rd party HSF since you want to OC a quad. Here are some cooler choices:
$35 - Scythe SCNJ-1100P Ninja Plus Rev.B CPU HSF (optional $7 Thermalright LGA775 Bolt-Thru-Kit; recommended esp. for quadcore usage)
$45 - Tuniq Tower 120 CPU HSF
$46 - Thermalright Ultima 90 CPU HS + Panaflo Hydrowave Fan, FBA09A12M - Z ($3)
$55 - Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme CPU HS + Scythe S-Flex Fan SFF21E ($15)

I recommend the Ultima90 since it performs as well as the Tuniq, which isn't far behind from the Ultra120. Its also cheaper, lighter, smaller, and easier to install.
 
I decided to go with the Thermalright Ultima 90 to cool the Q6600, thanks for the links.

I own a X-Fi XtremeMusic and thinks its so much better than on-board sound (at least the one on my current MB). I'm on XP x64 so that is also a factor. I have no experience with Vista and will do some more research before I commit to a sound card. I'll test the on-board of the ABIT or Gigabyte and make a decision from there.
 
I made some changes, so if you guys would look them over, it would be great.

Some questions:

I was looking at all the CPU heatsinks and noticed that Thermalright has a Ultra 90 & Ultima 90. The Ultra is half the price of the Ultima & I was wondering if the Ultra would be a good choice for my goal of hitting 3GHz Max on my Quad.

Ultima 90

Ultra 90

Also, I was wondering if there is a led light equivalent to the suggested Panaflo Hydrowave Fan? Something with sleeve wiring as well.
 
Nah. The Ultima 90 will be your best bet for reaching 3.0Ghz. Remember that the Q6600 is a pretty hot CPU. So it pays to spend a more on a better heatsink.
 
There's a yate loon with a blue LED, but I'm not sure if the cable is sleeved. You can sleeve it yourself if you'd like... its pretty easy. Performance-PCs.com will sleeve it for you if you order it from there. I agree, stick with the Ultima90 -- its much better than the Ultra90.

Don't forget to look out for some deals during black friday!
 
I have the Creative X-Fi Gamer and with the latest drivers it works fine with my Vista 64. Download and Install the driver first and then the console. If you use a microphone you'll have to go in the console and turn it on. I did not even try the CD drivers that came with the card as others have had problems with those drivers.
BTW.. I installed NO other crap from creative other than just what I mentioned. Others may have more info there.

I have two of the 226BW's and I'm VERY happy with them. If your a gamer go with the 226BW over the 226CW. Far as the Dell goes, I haven't put my eyes on any lately but quality stuff too.
I have two LCD TV that are Samsung and I guess I'm just sold on their performance and features. I also have high regards for Viewsonic LCD's two.


BTW .. your gonna have FUN with your system. I'm loving mine. Such GEEKS we all are! :D
 
The latest Creative drivers have fixed the problems between an X-Fi and Vista for the majority of users.

Mark.
 
I pretty much have nailed down all the parts for this build & have purchased most of it already. All that is left to get is the CPU + HSF & Graphics Card.

From what little information that is out there about the 8800GTS G92, it doesn't seem worth the projected $100 mark-up from current 8800GT.

I've been holding off playing new games such as Crysis & Quake Wars until I get this build done. I'm getting a bit anxious. :)

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions, it helped a lot.
 
Back
Top