My predicament...x800 XT PE or x850 XT?

NukeleaR

Weaksauce
Hiya, got a little situation I need some input on. Right now I own a x800 XT PE with a ATI Silencer 4 attached to it. My first question is; the silencer has started to become a real nuisance in terms of the sound. I'm not sure if it's the fan or what but it's making a rather annoying vibration sound. Any tips on how to clean and or restore the silencer? Second question is I have the oppurtunity to get a x850 XT 256mb AGP brand new in box for $269.40. Would it be in my best interests to ebay my current card and pick this one up? I've seen most of the x800 XT PE's go on ebay for $300-400. I really enjoy this x800 XT PE I have now, but this noise is just driving me crazy!

Thanks for any suggestions!

I'd jump on that in a heart beat. The x850 will exhaust the hot air out of your case with its more efficient cooler. I'd grab one of I had a chance to do it uber cheap.

NukeleaR said:
Hiya, got a little situation I need some input on. Right now I own a x800 XT PE with a ATI Silencer 4 attached to it. My first question is; the silencer has started to become a real nuisance in terms of the sound. I'm not sure if it's the fan or what but it's making a rather annoying vibration sound. Any tips on how to clean and or restore the silencer? Second question is I have the oppurtunity to get a x850 XT 256mb AGP brand new in box for $269.40. Would it be in my best interests to ebay my current card and pick this one up? I've seen most of the x800 XT PE's go on ebay for $300-400. I really enjoy this x800 XT PE I have now, but this noise is just driving me crazy!

Thanks for any suggestions!

Ummm buddy. You should really look into that. There's no reason at all your silencer should be making that kind of sound. I'd take it off, reaply whatever you're using (AS or whatever) and remount it. There's no reason it should be making that sound. If that doesnt help then the fan might be going.

Even if the silencer can be easily fixed or whatever, selling your x800xtpe and buying that x850xt could actually give you a profit+the better performance.

i know where ur getting ur card ;) ... get to work and stay off the accomodation page, btw it will only take u 1 week to get it

illgiveumorality said:
Even if the silencer can be easily fixed or whatever, selling your x800xtpe and buying that x850xt could actually give you a profit+the better performance.

Dude, the X850XT has the same clocks as the X800XT PE.......

Skrying said:
Dude, the X850XT has the same clocks as the X800XT PE.......

x800xt pe does 590/620 when overclocked

x850xt might get up close to PE speeds which is 540/590

UnrealCpu said:
x800xt pe does 590/620 when overclocked

x850xt might get up close to PE speeds which is 540/590

What? Why would you compare OC clocks to stock clocks.

The X850XT is the same very card as the X800XT PE. The X850XT was made to produce higher yeilds....

Willseyvilleny said:
i know where ur getting ur card ;) ... get to work and stay off the accomodation page, btw it will only take u 1 week to get it

:D Really did you already order one? And it only took you one week??? That's great. Which one ya work at BTW?

NukeleaR said:
:D Really did you already order one? And it only took you one week??? That's great. Which one ya work at BTW?

when you get you x850xt to 630/630 let me know because my x850xt pe does 640/640 on stock air

i got the cream of the crop though . something worth taking when going for the best :)

Just an FYI

Your X800 XT PE clocks @ 520/560

A X850 XT clocks @ 520/540 = slower memory (The X850 XT PE is 540/590...the ram is much better than the standard XT and overall is the only real advantage of the card.)

I would keep what you have and wait till you can upgrade to PCI-E

Even if the card OC's a little better it is really not worth all the trouble. (The ones I have played with have not done any better than the X800 cards once you replace the less effective X800 heatsink)

I am personally waiting for 2 r520 in Crossfire for my next upgrade. My X800 XT PE is doing just fine for now.

BTW If you can get the X850 XT AGP for 269. Buy it and sell it. Should be a easy 100.00 bucks without even trying. (Should sell for even more.)

While I was considering it I'm still not sure. If I sell my x800 XT PE I'd surely be able to get 350$ since it already has a silencer on it. On top of that the motherboard I'm using doesn't leave alot of room between the CPU heatsink/fan and the video card, so I'm really cramped right now with that silencer.

The X850 cards seem to be clocking better, probably just because they are newer. I would drop the X800XT PE & switch. You will probably get more out of it.

As for the Silencer, I had the same problem and generally the only solution is to replace it. Once a fan is fubar, that's it. Sometimes a drop of oil into the back will help but it did not help in my case. Think those things have a tendency to get off the track if they get bumped while on and it's downhill from there...

Anyway, I would still buy a new Silencer for the X850XT, because the stock fan is supposed to be annoying, especially if you were used to a Silencer.

My X850XT does 580|605+, I saw someone else's earlier that did 580|600 and then there is Nuke above with a PE that rocks. I personally went through 6 or 7 VIVOs and the best two did only 567|595 & 570|595 on a Silencer. It really looks like ATi is improving their processes.

i work at ithaca ny's and it only took a week, but i think my abit mobo doesnt like the aiw feature, because its unstable with the media drivers, but reg xt drivers are solid.

The performance difference of the cards, stock or overclocked, is to minute to quibble over, so all you guys duking it out can just drop that arguement. Instead of focusing on performance, you need to merely look at the price and pratcticality of the card. First off, at that price, you could make a decent amount of change off switching. Also, the ATI silencer, while giving awesome performance, is huge. Plus, it does sound as though your fan is dying on it. Given all these factors, I see absolutly no reason not to get teh x850xt. However, if you ebay your card I suggest two things. One, be very clear on the noise the silencer is making, and that it may be dying and two, include the stock heatsink when you sell the card. That will increase the value of the card more than you know...incase someone needs to RMA it later. THe confort of the stock cooling being presant, even if unused, will make people purchase your card over another.

I just got a godly x850xt pe that does 630/630 stable no artifacts in gamming.

I love it!

Its all on AIR too and my temps never go over 63c with my silencer. Also i can bench at 642/645 no problem. This card rocks and its made by ATI

i had to PE do only 570/600 my last card. I dont really get it to tell you the truth. I think the Core is a 0515 since it says it on the card , so its really new. You should pick one up at newegg if you decided to get one or wait until saphire releases the liquid coolers with these cards. I am sure you will be hitting my speeds with no problem. People with water or sub zero cooling and volt mods are getting 730/660 with my type of card

Willseyvilleny said:
i work at ithaca ny's and it only took a week, but i think my abit mobo doesnt like the aiw feature, because its unstable with the media drivers, but reg xt drivers are solid.

you guys work at fry's or something?

i work for your mom,lol jk

all i can say is we work in retail and we get accomodations that allow us a good chunk off the product so we may sell their products, ati in this case, with a better knowledge of its performance and features

Back