My own watercooled xbox360!

eoreality-robby

End of Reality Game Servers
ok, so I saw the one that the guys on [H]ard|ocp did, and I thougt to my self, why not make one that you dont need 2 peices and 2 different power cords. So thats exactly what im currently doing. So I ordered the 2 Koolance GPU Blocks and the Koolance INX Cooling Sysetem

So far I have installed the 2 GPU blocks and now I am working on spliceing the wireing so it can power the INX cooling system.

Heres a pic of what I've done so far with the watercooling blocks:

Getting Power:
ok, so if anybody has ever opened up their xbox 360, you should notice that there is no way to get power for your own HD, or any other device that requires a 12v 4-pin molex. So, I have found a way to make that molex using the 12v line from the dvd power connector and the 5v line from the fan connector.
Finished product (after sleeving, soldering and shrinkwrap):

IT REALLY WORKS:
x360koolance.JPG

Heres a size comparance of the xbox 360 and the INX:
x360placement.JPG

Making the cuts:
I decided to go ahead with the window mod, and I needed to cut for the INX anyways. I used a dremel over at MsB's place and made all of the cuts, now all that I need to do is get a spacer for the INX, and make the back plastic piece and attach the window.

Heres a pic of the cuts:
x360cut_small.JPG

Heres a pic of it all working and running perfectly:
x360wcrun1.JPG

My work area:
x360messy.jpg

ok, I just got back from the plastic shop and guess what: THEYRE FINALLY DONE!
heres some pics of the finished plastic piece:
xbox-plastic-front.JPG

xbox-plastic-side.JPG

Got the CD window started this weekend here's the result so far:

yeah, the problem that people have been having is that they hook into just the fan, not the dvd drive 12v. I have already tested that everything powers up and it all works great!

This is quite cool, no pun intended. You reckon the watercooler won't draw too much power from the xbox? My Koolance Exos 1 unit draws around 10 watts I believe. It shouldn't be devestating for your xbox power block, but you never know...

Also, how will you integrate the INX cooler/radiator into the xbox? It would have to be horizontal for the pumps to work...

Thats some neat skills at display here. Just curious, what good does it do? Not trying to rain, but I'd like to know. Can you overclock? Can you get better frames? Can you add a bigger HDD?

can you try water-cooling the external PSU for the Xbox 360 next?

The PSU is most likely tested to a certain higher wattage (33% over for example) in order to run the required watts the XBox needs. Not that I know these kind of things, but that's how often does a company make a component of their product just good enough to operate.

very nice man...
I am currently fooling around this this exact same Idea :)

DudeItsMe said:
The PSU is most likely tested to a certain higher wattage (33% over for example) in order to run the required watts the XBox needs. Not that I know these kind of things, but that's how often does a company make a component of their product just good enough to operate.

You are running Windows, aren't you? :rolleyes:

Same company.

since the INX is a little bit deeper thatthe 360 (by about 2in) it will hang over the back edge, but I will be designing a plastic piece to go over it to make it flow with the system and make it look good. As for future plans, I dont plan on watercooling the PSU, but I do plan on giving it a paint job and perhaps a window mod w/ some lights.

nice!!!! So this peice that you will add will back the back of the xbox look good right? Meaning that their will be no hangover from the INX.

+2 points for using the kitchen counter as a work space. :p

Things left to do (in order):
1) cut hole in case and chasis
2) mount INX to xbox through hole
3) fill with water and test
4) make window mod and install lights (optional)
5) get case painted
6) put it all back together
7) enjoy until mod chip comes out
8) install modchip
9) EBAY!!

Tiny said:
+2 points for using the kitchen counter as a work space. :p

I sure hope he's got those sink plugs in... >.>

I could picture myself dropping nearly every important thing that is small enough to get in there, down that darn thing.

yeah not to worry its got plugs! anybody got any ideas on designing a plastic piece for the back? and do you think that it should run along the entire back side of the case, or should it just stick out where the inx hangs off?

TheAcorn said:
You are running Windows, aren't you? :rolleyes:

Same company.

No, the XBOX 360 power supply is actually made by <a href="http://www.deltaww.com">Delta</a>, the largest switched-mode PSU manufacturer in the world. Check the UL number.

so when are you going to mod it to overclock!! :)

I doubt the CPU can be OC'd being this is such a closed system. Though there may be some way to OC the GPU.

I liked how the original Xbox's were moded with 1Ghz chips & more ram, etc..

chrisf6969 said:
so when are you going to mod it to overclock!! :)

I doubt the CPU can be OC'd being this is such a closed system. Though there may be some way to OC the GPU.

I liked how the original Xbox's were moded with 1Ghz chips & more ram, etc..

Do you have any links on this? Not flaming, I would just love to see it.

lets just pick out the processor and put it in a new box. What socket is it? we can surely oc it then right? haha

He doesn't want someone else claming his work without having to photochop it first.

I alos put that paper there so that my friends would actuall believe me when I said I was actually going to do this!

EarlMcFish said:
Don't mean to crap on your thread here, but why do this?

Do you own / have you heard a 360? Silence is golden my friend, silence is golden.

unrealized said:
yeah not to worry its got plugs! anybody got any ideas on designing a plastic piece for the back? and do you think that it should run along the entire back side of the case, or should it just stick out where the inx hangs off?

I was wondering about that when I was looking at your pictures. I would almost try to extend the entire back of the 360 but that would take a good deal of work. Maybe some bondo, sanding, and paint. Another option would be finding a smaller radiator and shorting the koolance system. I wish I had a real good idea for you and what to do but no way seems like a real good way.

Back