My next plan upgrade.

lt_shiro

2[H]4U
My next upgrade, I was thinking about modding my case but really buying another case would be cheaper and this would allow me to divorce my gaming PC from my media center. I only play at 720p for most games on the 32" or on 22" for FPS. When I need a keyboard and mouse to play.

I have two options

1. Buy a x4 955 and buy AMD's next chipset 8xx w/ 4 Gigs of DDR3.

or

2. Buy a Core i3 530 and Gigabyte P55A board w/ 4 Gigs of DDR3.

Other parts for this build

- Intel X25-V 40 GB or Kingston SSDnow 30 or 40 GB SSD for My OS.
- Corsair H50.
- 1 or 1.5 TB Drive for increase storage.
- Case wise, I think I will be going with Coolermaster 690 2 standard.
- NZXT Sentry 2 Fan controller.
- Media Card Reader
- Alots of Coolermaster R4 Case Fans.
- New UPS.

Time frame of this build is about 3-6 Months as I have wait on the local shops to get the case as their is no way I am importing that. And also its being funded from client builds and not from normal salary as I have other plans for that.

I will build computers for PC parts. :D

Would the ssd be used primarily in the MC or the gaming machine? Is the case for the gaming machine?

The case and SSD are for the new gaming pc and i will use the WD 320 GB Blue (AAKS). I have laying around for installing games on.

Pretty ambitious.

Out of the early reviews, which features are supported by the AMD 8-series chipset?

8-series has sata 6 and usb 3.0 w/ may be onboard Direct X 11.

edit
looking around at the core i3 530 overclocks like garbage, it looks a bit low by my paper math (4 GHz should be 181 and that is low by i5 750 standards btw). 3.5 GHz can't be the max safe overclock for this chip. I think I will go with the x4 955 option as it will work with my current board ontill the new boards are out.

Last edited:
Finally started buying parts for the new build. I got three WD 500 GB Greens on sale for $48 a piece today from a local store.

02252010096.jpg

Next on the list is these Coolermaster R4 fans

140mm
120mm
and
NZXT Sentry-2 Fan Controller

I will get a sleeving kit later.

Next month I should get a x2 555 for my current rig and I am hoping to unclock to 4 cores with a 890GX board, when ever it comes out...:D

GIGABYTE GA-890GPA-UD3H AM3 AMD 890GX HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail it was listed at $140 before newegg took it down.

2x NZXT FN-120RB 120mm Case Fan - Retail

NZXT FN-140RB 140mm Case Fan - Retail

got these fans in place of the R4 fans as they are pre-sleeved and have nice black and white theme.

Depending on how well these work, I will get another these 4 x 120mm fans.

I have been looking on newegg for some acoustic foam but I have seen any. Can anyone make a suggestion. If newegg does carry them.

I am not feeling the x2 555, x2 550 C3 is $88 100 MHz and unlock multi doesn't feel like its worth the extra $13

I am going to order new x6 1055T within the next 2 weeks or so. Since my current board has bios update, no point in getting a new board and ram at this stage when bulldozer will be change in socket for the CPUs.

I am so looking at the new Coolit Eco, anyone use this yet? Input would be helpful as I really never like the Corsair H50. Bracket being made out of plastic has be real turn off for me.

I have $300 too burn, $200 on the new CPU. What too spend the other $100 on is the question for this month?

The new (magazine) issue of Maximum PC reviewed the Coolit Eco ALC, and Fudzilla compared it to the Corsair H50. The long story short is that it performed on par (for the most part) with the H50, but Fudzilla considered the H50 to be the better of the two coolers. That said, I really haven't conducted much research on it -- though I'll probably start this weekend.

I like your strategy on getting the new X6 1055T. You might as well use the "extra" $100 towards getting the Coolit Eco, assuming it's as good as the H50.

ugh, with the X6's out, it's gonna be hard to sell my X4's, lol. post more pics! :D

@ enginurd

next weekend i will be sure too post some more pics as I am going to paint the front grill in red with the White Ogre crest.

I think i will hold off on the h50 or eco as hyper 212 does job with these Excalibur fans and use that money to get a 5830 or get a 1080p display like a NEC 23" IPS EA231WMi

If/When you buy the EA231WMi, give us a little review. I'm still mulling over whether or not I'll buy that particular monitor.

If/When you buy the EA231WMi, give us a little review. I'm still mulling over whether or not I'll buy that particular monitor.

I saw in action at last lan party I went too.

What I like about it
-colors are right on
-23" not too small for the price
-it has height adjustable stand
-displayport

what i hated
-the backlight wasn't up too par with the panel but at that price point I can look over that fault.

Some people may cry it down for being a 1080p and not a 1920*1200 but really nearly every single pc game is console port.

I have a question for someone using the fsb too overclock x6 1055t, does the turbo still work?

Cause fsb 225*14 should equal too 3.1 GHz and turbo mode should be 3.7 GHz. Which would be prefect for my needs. As highest I have got this board too is fsb 234 which is nearly the same as the turbo mode already.

p.s. just bought dirt 2 on steam for $10, another reason to get a direct x 11 card.

Last edited:
06272010090.jpg

got more fans... client cancel build order :)

Also got Microsoft Wireless Desktop 3000 for $37.50 usd from local shore :) newegg has these for $59

I sold the coolermaster fans also and will get the coolit eco

Last edited:
Local retailer has cm690-2 instock but funds are low sigh.

Currently using x4 635 on loan from a client ontill I get my x6 :D

I am selling my 4870 for $150 usd, so I should be getting GTX 460 early next month.

I looking at thermaltake frio as it fits into my black and white theme for my upgrade.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Looks good, you should sleeve those cables though, those rainbow colors don't work! :D haha

Nice.... :cool:

(That reminds me... I have some upgrading of my own to do.... :eek: )

I have finally got the 4870 sold today :D So I am placing a order for MSI GTX 460 1 GB soon (may be evga also since it coming with a free game).

My boot drive is dying :( a Seagate 500 GB 7200.12, so i will need to replace that sooner than planned.

looking at getting a Asus MS236H 23" monitor also. I have major LAN/Super Street Fighter 4 event at AnimeExpo 2011. Getting audio from the monitor would be great plus for me.

I will hold off upgrading CPU/Mobo/RAM ontill oct, Hoping for more Bulldozer news or Intel's new line up of CPU and motherboards (SLi would be a plus for me :) ).

I will take pics of the terminal block when i get to the hardware store.

Last edited:
Nice!

AX2011, eh? Man, been a while since I've been to one of those.

Back