My next build

InsanePerson

Limp Gawd
Getting ready to build a new system, by end of the month
I've done a fair amount of reading, reviews and features, my current build is just under budget.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Gaming (moderate to high graphics), video encoding, virtualization (vmware workstation with various OS for IT study), other general uses (web/email)
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$1500 before tax/shipping
3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
OKC, OK
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
Tower, systemboard, CPU, RAM, GPU, SSD, ODD, PSU, heatsink, fan controller
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
Display - SAMSUNG 2433BW 24" @ 1920 x 1200, 3 existing HDD
6) Will you be overclocking?
Yes
7) 7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
1920 x 1200, 24"
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
By end of March
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.
RAID, USB 3, SATA 6Gb/s, LOM + WiFi
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If so, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Yes, x64

The build I have come up with is
$129.99 - Thermaltake Overseer RX-I
$194.99 - ASUS P8Z77-V
$229.99 - Intel Core i5-3570K
$94.99 - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB)
$294.99 - EVGA 02G-P4-3660-KR GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB
$187.99 - Crucial M4 CT256M4SSD2 2.5" 256GB
$17.99 - ASUS DRW-24B1ST
$79.99 -CORSAIR CX600M 600W
$80.99 - Noctua NH-D14
$39.99 - Sunbeam PL-RS-6 Rheosmart 6 Fan Controller

Total shipped (3BD) $1,377.36

I have 2x 2TB and 1x 3TB HDD's that will be installed for general purpose storage
I am definitely of the opionin that Intel is the way to go for CPU
I prefer ASUS or GIGABYTE systemboards, and EVGA NVIDIA video cards (based on my experience with quality and support when needed)

As far as case goes, I am rather sold on that decision but I can keep an open mind. Of all the features, I rather like the integrated top mount HDD dock

The fan controller selection was based on a previous thread I started

I am otherwise just looking for best bang for my dollar

Last edited:
You don't need a 750W PSU.

550 is more than plenty, 650W is you just want to overkill it more.

Thanks for the suggestion, not sure why I selected a 750W to start with
Dropped down to a Corsair 600W that's still modular

Modified above

Ditch that Corsair: Only a handful of its power cables are actually modular. So the extra cost for it isn't justified considering its quality. Go with this significantly higher quality and more modular Seasonic:
$90 - Seasonic G Series SSR-550RM 550W Modular PSU

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks again for the various suggestions
I have made a few modifications, and discovered pcpartpicker.com site while doing much reading on the forums from other builds/suggestions
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/JsjW

I will be honest, there was one part which I jumped on without reading any reviews, and that was the Noctua NH-D14. Having really enjoyed previous Noctua products it seemed like a given

I got around to reading [H]'s review, which while it wasnt terrible, did not appear to be up to what I came to expect from Noctua.
I started looking at this part again when a friend suggested a Corsair H80.

I've long though about going water cooled, but honestly for no other reason than to boast about it.
However with something like the H80 it seems you can get a decent/quiet, self-contained liquid cooler without going all out

Would anyone care to make any suggestions on cooling this setup?

*Edit
Also, there was a suggestion above for a HD7950 as a better bang/buck for that price range
Keeping in mind that I am currently under my budget, any suggestions for the next step up from a 660 TI/HD 7950?

Last edited:
I would avoid using PC Partpicker since they include MIR by default. As for your planned setup, ditch the RAM. You should not pay more than $50 shipped for a 8GB set of RAM.

As for the video card flip a coin between the HD 7970 Or GTX 670. In regards to cooling, if you Want quiet, the Notchua is your best bet. If you Want that WOW factor, go for the Antec Kuhler 920 Or Corsair H80.

Back