my new Opty 165 and A8N-SLI Premium...help!

arman01

Gawd
Hey guys, i finally took the plunge and bought a dual-core Opteron 165 processor....I've done a fresh install of Windows XP Pro with SP2....

but ive got a few questions...

1. the first and second line of the CPU reads OSA165DAA6CD
CCBWE 0546 MPMW

how is this for overclocking...?

2. in the system properties it says "AMD Processor Model Unknown", but in the task manager there are two process graphs, is dual-core working properly?

3. Ive heard about certain fixes and patches that have to be downloaded for a dual-core Opteron to work properly, which do i need?

I bought the stuff from www.nintek.com.au , an online store located in Perth, Western Australia...

thanks in advance :)

1. Pretty good stepping. OC and let us know.
2. BIOS update will fix
3. None, unless you're using Cool & Quiet, or notice problems in certain games (most of which can be fixed by setting affinity to core 0)

i checked CPU-Z, and it turned out to be a Toledo core....

Ive heard of the Athlon X2 patch on the AMD website, will this also work on the dual-core Opterons ??

Also, anyone know if this is a good stepping/core etc... ?

There's one sure fire way to determine whether you have a good/stepping core regardless of what anybody on here says

I'll leave it up to you to guess what that is ;)

WCES Ryan said:
There's one sure fire way to determine whether you have a good/stepping core regardless of what anybody on here says

I'll leave it up to you to guess what that is ;)

i need to familiarise myself with the new motherboard first....

now, will the AMD X2 patch work on my Opteron, and it it useful ?

arman01 said:
i need to familiarise myself with the new motherboard first....

now, will the AMD X2 patch work on my Opteron, and it it useful ?

Yes, the X2 patch will work on your opteron. All it really does is enable CnQ with your CPU and add the /usepmtimer to the boot.ini. Other than that the AMD driver is useless :). If you don't use CnQ, I'd just add /usepmtimer to the boot.ini yourself and see if it makes a difference.

If you check the Dual Core Gaming Fix Guide in the sticky, it gives more info. Most of the problems were game related, but some of the fixes there will help any program that isn't running right on an X2/Opteron.

how can i be sure than dual-core is working properly, and the load is split between the two cores ??

Run some benches in Sisoft Sandra. If you're only taking advantage of 1 core you'll be able to tell in the benchmarks. You'll bench closer to a 3200+ A64. Actually, that's how I found out I was running only on 1 core.

Back