My new computer keeps shutting off after a few minutes...HELP!!

Bona Fide

2[H]4U
(Specs are in my sig, below.)

My computer was working fine yesterday, all day, and now I can't have it on for more than 10 minutes without it randomly shutting down. It's not a problem with the wall socket because my monitor stays on the whole time, so I figure it's a problem with the tower.

Here's what I've done since last night:
1. Put the side panel back on.
2. Moved it to my dorm room.

I haven't checked for any loose connections, but that could be it. I figure either one/some of the connections is just barely hanging in, or one of the parts is overheating. That could be because either a heatsink misaligned in transit to my dorm or the side panel is cutting off ventilation.

I would really really appreciate suggestions on what to do. :(

What are your temps? Also what are you doing when it shuts down? ie Games, p0rn, nothing.

hey what power supply are you using? make sure all your fans are running ok. It sounds like something is shorting out or overheating. Did you apply thermalpaste manually? If you applied too much the paste could be spilling onto your mobo and shorting something. If you didn't have to apply paste was there a thermal pad on the heatsink already? You need one or the other not both. And if you don't have either it's overheating. Check for those and let us know.

hey what power supply are you using?

readinglolfy5.png

What are your temps? Also what are you doing when it shuts down? ie Games, p0rn, nothing.
I haven't checked the temps, but I should do that. I'm at the computer lab right now, since I don't want to risk doing anything more on my PC till I figure out what's up. I was watching a movie the first time it cut off, and then the second time I was typing up an essay, which I figured would be less intensive. It's not related to the graphics card or overloading the CPU, I think.

hey what power supply are you using? make sure all your fans are running ok. It sounds like something is shorting out or overheating. Did you apply thermalpaste manually? If you applied too much the paste could be spilling onto your mobo and shorting something. If you didn't have to apply paste was there a thermal pad on the heatsink already? You need one or the other not both. And if you don't have either it's overheating. Check for those and let us know.
As pointed out, I'm using a Corsair 520HX, recommended to me by several [H] members since Seasonic manufactures it. I'm using the stock Intel HSF, which comes with thermal paste pre-applied. I didn't add any more of my own, so I don't think the paste could be causing any problems. My thinking is maybe the HSF came unseated when I was moving the case, or maybe the side panel is suffocating the parts.

What kind of temperatures should I be looking for as a sign that it's overheating? I'm not sure.

Pull the side panel off and see if it still shuts down. If it does, then you have an overheating problem.

Look in the BIOS to see what the idle temps are and report them here. Then we can tell you whether they are too high or not. Each processor can be different. I personally normally don't allow my C2D to go over 60C under full load. I don't even care for that temp much but it's what I get to deal with considering the overclock I have and the ambient room temperature.

While you have the case open, double check all connectors, cards and everything else. Make sure nothing is loose. This goes double for the heatsink and the RAM.

Report back after you get your temp readings.

During Orthos, it shouldn't reach over 70°C. Use CoreTemp and Speedfan for checking temps. Intel TAT works well, too.

Back