My new computer from AVA Direct

So will they just deduct the other 4GB from the system and adjust the price? or will they just send the other 4GB uninstalled? Did they tell you what voltages they've tried?

So will they just deduct the other 4GB from the system and adjust the price? or will they just send the other 4GB uninstalled? Did they tell you what voltages they've tried?

Joe said they would issue a credit if I wanted. Is there some reason I would want to get the 4GB uninstalled? It's not like I could do a better job on overclocking than they can.

They did not tell me what voltages they've tried. It wouldn't mean anything to me anyway, since I have never built nor overclocked a computer.

Joe called me this afternoon to give me an update...

The good news: They continued work on my computer on Friday after I received the e-mail from Matt. They got what they thought was a stable 3.2GHz overclock, and set the computer to run stress tests over the weekend and today. It passed all of the tests :) Joe told me that my computer would be shipping out today.

The bad news: Joe called back. The person that boxes up the computers for shipping does a final check, and he noticed that the hard drive light wasn't working (although the hard drive itself was). Joe asked me if I still wanted it shipped, since he knew I was anxious to receive the computer. I told him I would rather they checked out the problem, even though that meant it wouldn't ship today. Hopefully it's nothing worse than a burnt out light, and the computer will ship tomorrow.

I'm impressed that something as small as a hard drive light not working was noticed. I probably wouldn't have noticed it. I'm also impressed that they got a stable overclock at 3.2GHz with 8GB RAM :) Since I don't play FPS games (like Crysis), I'm not worried about needing a 4GHz CPU.

BTW, if anyone was waiting to order from AVA Direct until the new cards arrived, AVA Direct is now carrying the XFX e-GeForce GTX 280 600MHz 1GB DDR3 2200MHz, and this card has been added to the video card selections. I almost asked AVA to change my order to use that card, but I really think the price of the GTX 280 is going to drop closer to $500. I've got 90 days to use eVGA's Step-Up Program with my 8800 GTS 512MB, so I can wait. And if the HD 4870x2 performs better than the GTX 280, I might just go with that :)

My computer shipped today, yay! :D

Matt sent me a message about the hard drive light:

I fixed your hdd led issue. Seems this is common among 750i and antec users. Normally a hdd light is red, but antec used a blue led.

Blue leds need more voltage to work, which the 750i does not push. We replaced the blue led for a red one.

Pictures and statistics are up in the Showroom Floor section of the AVA Direct forum: Custom Gaming System - Antec P182 / OC Intel 9450 / 8GB DDR2. They have some System Performance statistics that I've never heard of, like Queen, Julia, and Mandel.

My system got 13587 3DMarks :) (I know 3DMarks doesn't mean what it used to, but my current system only gets 4700-some) Memory timings are 5-5-5-18 CR2. Here's what they said about the the overclocking:

We were able to achieve an overclock of 3.2 GHz using a FSB of 400 MHz with the stock multiplier of 8x. Memory is currently running at 4:3 which means it is running at the max rating of 533 MHz.

The computer should arrive Thursday, as long as the shipping company doesn't use a horse & cart :rolleyes: I'll be receiving a tracking number later this afternoon. If anyone wants to know specific information (like the voltage information that enginurd asked about), let me know.

I have 90 days to use the eVGA Step-Up program, which means I have time for the price of the GTX 280 to come down, and for the HD 4870x2 to be released. I'll be getting one of those two cards. While the eVGA 8800 GTX 512MB video card I got will handle Age of Conan well, the [H] review showed that the GTX 280 would still give me performance improvements at my 1920 x 1200 resolution.

When my new computer arrives, I'll be able to change my [H] forum signature :) I'll also post pictures and initial thoughts once it's up and running and I can test it out.

Nice... its interesting that they didnt put the HDDs in the lower chamber. I always put the drives down there for a couple reasons: a) unobstructed air intake from the front fan, and b) to keep most of the weight of the system on the bottom, providing a more stable stance.

Wow, that PSU is so huge they had to put the fan on the other side of that middle brace, lol (and they also removed the plastic mounting bracket, since it can't be used on that side). Maybe thats why they put the drives in the upper chamber.

Maybe thats why they put the drives in the upper chamber.

That's my guess, from looking at the pictures. I don't think the hard drives will create too much of an obstruction for the air flow, and the fan can cool the hard drives and add extra cooling for the video card at the same time.

My computer has arrived, yay! I guess living only three hours from the company has it's advantages :)

Big Shipping Box: 29" x 31" x 24"
ShippingBox.jpg

I'll be spending the rest of the day unpacking, taking pictures, and installing software, so will have an initial review up late tonight or tomorrow morning.

My computer has arrived, yay! I guess living only three hours from the company has it's advantages :)

Big Shipping Box: 29" x 31" x 24"
ShippingBox.jpg

I'll be spending the rest of the day unpacking, taking pictures, and installing software, so will have an initial review up late tonight or tomorrow morning.

How are those pics coming along? :p

Here's what you've all been waiting for :) I've reduced the size of the images from the original picture, for people still using modems.

The AVA Direct Website
I don't think the website has changed much since [H] Consumer's last review of an AVA Direct system, although they did add a forum this year. The forum contains a lot of useful information provided by Matt Slagle (AVA's R&D guy), along with the usual forum topics. The web site isn't jazzy, but it is functional. Some people have a problem because of all the options available for a configuration, while some of us love all of those options. I think the fact that you can configure a system composed of the most recommended components here on [H] in the General Hardware section is a good thing :) AVA is currently working on creating a few "pre-built" configurations, to help out people that aren't too knowledgeable about configuring their own system.

Purchasing
Most of the purchase information is detailed earlier in this thread. Please note that I chose to send a Cashiers Check myself. AVA Direct does accept major credit cards.
THU - May 29: I configured the system I wanted built, but I had some questions, so I sent in an order by e-mail, with my questions, late in the afternoon.
FRI - May 30: I received an e-mail from Joe Mundy with answers to my questions; based on the answers I received I adjusted my order; I then received a quote from Joe, but there was a problem with the quote: it showed an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro instead of the Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme I had ordered; I adjusted the quote and the total amount, and mailed a cashiers check to AVA direct in the afternoon (with delivery confirmation), and e-mailed Joe to let him know of the discrepancy; I received an e-mail that acknowledged the change and was told I would receive a corrected quote.
MON - Jun 02: I received a final (corrected) quote confirmation; my cashiers check was delivered to AVA Direct and acknowledged; my order status was set to "Processing."

Packaging
The computer arrived in a really big box, which of course is due to the big case :) There was warning tape on the box about the box weight being greater than 70lbs, hehe. The box had some small gouges (<=1") but nothing large.

On the box in taped down plastic were two items. One was an invoice/acknowledgement with my order number and all of my system components listed out, with system total, tax and shipping amounts. I'll keep this paperwork in case it's ever needed for the warranty. In a separate plastic ziplock bag was all of the paperwork for the various components: Corsair HX1000 user's manual, eVGA video card user's manual, KamaMeter installation guide, Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtream Heatskink installation guide & a Thermalright sticker, Intel Core 2 Quad Processor installation/warranty booklet w/ Intel key, Antec case User's Manual w/ Pin Assignment sheet.

Going over the invoice, I noticed a couple things:
  • The Floppy Drive I had ordered from their website was a Mitsumi, but the invoice listed a Sony. I'm not concerned about it. I figure they probably changed manufacturers. I haven't even called them about it.
  • The "CASE FANS, Low Noise package" fans were listed out: (1) Nexus 120mm Real Silent Case Fan, (3) Scythe 'Slip Stream' 120mm 1200 RPM Quiet Medium Speed Case Fans
  • Some of the things I had discussed with Joe were listed as comments: Overclock near 3.6GHz, install extra OCZ Reaper (2x2) total of 8GB, mount scythe S Flex on Thermalright Ultra-120 Heatsink. The overclocking comment was from my initial conversation with Joe, because since I had known that 8GB RAM could make overclocking tough, I had asked them later to try to hit at least 3.2GHz with the four memory sticks.

Opening up the box showed... a bunch of peanuts! :) I grabbed an empty moving box lying around (I normally use them to box up books) and started scooping peanuts into it.
Peanuts.jpg

Scooping out enough peanuts showed the case box, the motherboard box, and the keyboard box. The mouse was still in it's box, below the keyboard box.
Opened.jpg

The three smaller boxes... motherboard, mouse, and keyboard boxes. The keyboard won't be used with the new computer, as I switched it with the Logitech G15 keyboard I'm using on my Dell XPS computer.
ThreeBoxes.jpg

The case box had a large hole in the middle of it. Whatever caused that didn't damage the Antec case. Fortunately the box had handles in the side, which made it easy to pull it out of the shipping box.
CaseBox.jpg

Contents of the motherboard box. Items of note include:
  • system folder
  • SLI connector
  • Corsair bag with extra power cables
  • official Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate OEM box w/manual and CD
  • motherboard manuals
  • extra KamaMeter fan controller faceplates
  • the top fan cover
  • any cables or items left over from the build
Contents.jpg

The system folder contains:
  • Welcome letter from Misha Troshin, CEO
  • System Quality Assurance Checklist (also includes testing programs used, with results written down)
  • Computer System User Guide
    • Preparing for First Time Use
    • Preloaded Software Configuration
    • Servicing Computer System
    • Basic Troubleshooting
    • Technical Support and Customer Service
    • RMA Policy and Procedure
  • Acronis Registration Form (this is for the System Recovery secure HDD option)
  • eVGA Display Driver CD
  • eVGA Mainboard Driver and Utilities Installation CD
  • Nero 7 Essentials

The computer was packed with styrofoam and cardboard around the sides. Thin plastic like you see placed over monitor screens for shipping was placed all around the case, which was nice. An 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper with Attention! printed in large type contained instructions for opening the case and checking for inside packing, making sure cards are seated properly, etc. The top fan cover had been in the motherboard box, so I installed it.
Cardboard.jpg

The plastic wrap used to protect the case from scratching. Very nice.
Plastic.jpg

This is the airbag used to keep the insides from bouncing around (I had removed it before remembering to take a picture, so stuffed it back in, it looked better before I did that <g>). It evidently worked because I checked everything and nothing was loose :) The side is easy to take off, only requiring the removal of two thumb screws. I wrote down the serial number of the eVGA 8800 GTS 512MB video card while the case was open, in case I decide to Step-Up to an eVGA GTX 280.
AirBag.jpg

The guts of the computer. Notice the amazing wiring job.
Guts.jpg

Back of the computer. Yes, that's a serial port at the bottom. I have a bar code scanner that I use on books for my book collection software, that requires a serial port. Fortunately the eVGA 750i SLI FTW motherboard has a COM header.
Back.jpg

Front of the computer with door closed.
FrontClosed.jpg

Front of the computer with door open. The KamaMeter fan controller is at the top, with the Samsung DVD Burner below it. The floppy drive is between the two filters.
FrontOpen.jpg

I hooked up my Soyo 24" monitor and Logitech G15 keyboard that I already had, the mouse that came with the computer, and a pair of old speakers (the Logitech X-540 5.1 speaker system I bought from Amazon will be hooked up when I move the computer to it's final spot... which is where the computer I'm typing this on is located). Then I switched the computer on for the first time.

Startup screen. The computer was all ready for me.
Startup.jpg

Change the screen resolution!
ChgReso.jpg

I noticed the darkening on the right side of the screen, and was worried that I had done something to the monitor when I moved it, since that hadn't been there on this computer. However, after some testing, I realized that it's just the Gadgets part of the screen using a gradient for coloring. Whew!

The only extra installed software was Acronis True Image and Adobe Flash Player ActiveX. Drivers installed were the 175.16 Forceware drivers (which are the latest WHQL drivers) for the video card and the RealTek Sound drivers. They normally install Nero 7 but I had asked them not to, since I use CDBurnerXP.

My first impressions are that this puppy is fast :) Windows startup is the fastest I've ever seen, and so is shutdown. The computer is also very quiet. I've never used Vista, so it takes some getting used to. The first thing I changed was the wallpaper to use Dreamscene :) I think it's pretty cool, hehe. Then I installed the mouse and keyboard software, and then Norton Internet Security 2008. Once I added the IP address of the new computer to my other computers' Trusted List, Vista saw them with no problem, which makes it easy to copy over data, and programs that I had already downloaded.

I've been installing software, and still have a lot of software to install (mostly games), so I haven't done any benchmarks. I considered just copying over the folders for the MMORPG games that I play, but since my other computers use Windows XP Pro, and the new computer is Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit, I decided it might be safer to just install from the disks, and let the programs download the updates, just in case the games used different code for the different operation systems. Some of these MMORPGs take hours for the downloads, when you update from the original disks. The link to the Showroom Floor in a prior post in this thread before this one has some benchmarking numbers. I'll get some more benchmarks run soon. I did start up Age of Conan after it was installed, just to see how it looked. I set all the options on high. I was getting 35 FPS in a town with a lot of NPCs :) The game simply looks amazing with all the options on high.

Just realized... I can change my signature now :)

Oh nice, it had a COM port header! Thanks for the detailed user review and pics. =)

RIP:
P4 3.0GHz w/HT (800MHz bus clock) | 2GB RAM | HD3850 AGP 512 | Soyo 24" DYLM24D6 1920 x 1200 | U-verse HSI (6/1)

Well

Ive decided. When I have the ability to purchase a premade PC, AVA will be the company.

Outstanding.

Oh nice, it had a COM port header! Thanks for the detailed user review and pics. =)

Yeah :) I just made sure to ask for it to be connected when I placed my order. I wasn't sure if they would do it automatically, since most people don't use that kind of connection any more.

Hehe :) Well, my Dell XPS is getting moved over to the right side of my desk, which is where my Dell Dimension 8200 currently is located. The Dell Dimension 8200 gets moved to an entirely different area of the great room, and becomes a file server, mostly for my huge collection of CDs (I've only been able to convert less than 1/3 of my collection to MP3s with my current capacity). The Dell XPS will be used as a second computer, now, for calling up websites, spreadsheets, documents, etc., when I'm gaming on the AVA Direct computer.

I ran 3dMark06 for my new computer. I'm not sure what other free programs people use. Everest is $19.95 for a personal version. Anyway, Speedstep (I think it's called?) is on, which is why CPU-Z shows a multiplier of 6 instead of 8. But in the 3dMark06 screens you'll notice the CPU is at 3200MHz (which is the multiplier of 8). I was able to see the multiplier change when 3dMark06 switched tests. Is it better to turn this off? Click on the picture if you want the full-size version.

I watched the temperatures on the fan controller while 3dMark06 was running, and they never got above 49c. Watching the temps in GPU-Z, the temps never got above 54c. This system is amazingly quiet, I can't hear anything from it above any background noise.

I did have a chance to see how well AVA Direct Technical Support worked. The Samsung SH-S203N was having a problem with audio CDs. Any CD I played would stop playing at 1 min 3 sec and Windows Media Player would give me an error. This was confusing because I hadn't had any problems installing games from CDs and DVDs. I checked the Samsung site and found that a firmware version newer than the one the S203N came with had been released on May 21, 2008. So I updated the firmware, but it didn't fix the problem. I tried googling the problem, but couldn't find any solutions. Time to call AVA Direct Technical Support...

I called them at 12:07pm today, and chose option 4 (Technical Support) from the menu. Chris Mundy answered after two rings. I explained the problem I was having, and what I had done to try to fix it. He asked me to give him a couple minutes while he researched the problem. A few minutes later, he said it looked like this was a known problem with the eVGA 750i SLI FTW motherboard and SATA optical disk drives, and that a new motherboard driver had recently been released. He e-mailed me the link with instructions, which I received in my Inbox at 12:15pm. I clicked on the link, downloaded the software, ran it, and then rebooted. The problem was fixed :)

Chris was very polite throughout our conversation, and the entire process from calling to receiving a fix was only eight minutes. Good job :)

woot go ava direct!!! i almost bought a computer from them but ran out of money so i couldnt... good prices and such though.

Yah, if I didn't love building systems myself, or if I didn't have enough time to do so, then I'd definitely look into an AVA Direct system. Very impressive. Hehe, that whole binder thing... I used to do that when I built systems for people. :p Hm... no careers link on their website, lol.

That's a really nice computer.
I hope you enjoy it.
Just a question......if you need a scanner to keep track of your prOn.....err, excuse me, "books" (j/k) how many books do you own????:D

Just a question......if you need a scanner to keep track of your prOn.....err, excuse me, "books" (j/k) how many books do you own????:D

It's a bar code scanner, that lets me scan the bar code on a book and the database software uses that to look up all of the information, so I don't have to type it in myself.

I have around 2000 books, 99% of which are science fiction and fantasy. Of course, that's what I've accumulated over 35 years. Before I was 10 or 11, I always used the local library. When I started getting an allowance, I'd save up to buy books. I've always been a collector type of person, so I've never thrown anything away.

Here's a link to the Collectorz software, if you're interested: http://www.collectorz.com/

I had never heard of FLAC. I just googled it, and see that it stand for Free Lossless Audio Codec. I shall check it out, thanks :)

FLAC is definitely the way to go for computerized audio. MP3s are fine for iPods and such, but if you have a good sound card and a decent set of speakers, you WILL hear a difference between MP3 and FLAC.

Nice system, Andon. Congrats again. How's the fan noise compared to the old XPS? The noise on my tower is driving me nuts, even though I regularly clean it out.

FLAC is definitely the way to go for computerized audio. MP3s are fine for iPods and such, but if you have a good sound card and a decent set of speakers, you WILL hear a difference between MP3 and FLAC.

I rip my CDs to the computer so that I can load the songs on my Rio MP3 player. I have a 200-disk CD player for my home entertainment system, which is in the great room along with my computers.

Nice system, Andon. Congrats again. How's the fan noise compared to the old XPS? The noise on my tower is driving me nuts, even though I regularly clean it out.

The AVA Direct computer is much more quiet than the Dell XPS. I can't hear anything from the new computer above the ambient background noise.

Boy, you've really had the AVA kool-aid huh? My computer's being built now and I'm just hoping I'm ready to join up too in a few weeks after it's delivered...:p Very glad the experience has been so great!

As for cataloging software, did you look at Media Man as well (http://www.imediaman.com/)? A few years ago I looked at a number of these kinds of programs, and although I was impressed with Collectorz, eventually I went the Media Man route. How are you liking Collectorz?

Boy, you've really had the AVA kool-aid huh? My computer's being built now and I'm just hoping I'm ready to join up too in a few weeks after it's delivered...:p Very glad the experience has been so great!

What can I say? I got a great computer, at a great price, and with great service :cool:

As for cataloging software, did you look at Media Man as well (http://www.imediaman.com/)? A few years ago I looked at a number of these kinds of programs, and although I was impressed with Collectorz, eventually I went the Media Man route. How are you liking Collectorz?

I bought the software several years ago, and when I was looking for what I wanted, the only thing I found was Collectorz. As to how I like it, it works fine, and it's a heck of a lot better than typing everything into a spreadsheet :) Plus, upgrades are free, and they continually improve the software. When I bought it, they had a deal going on three of the programs, along with the bar code scanner, such that the price was the same as purchasing one program and the scanner. I got Books, Movies, and Music.

Why did you choose Media Man over Collectorz?

It was several years ago, but as I recall it was a tough choice. I looked through lots of programs including Collectorz, MediaMan, LibraryScan, Readerware and others and remember that Collectorz had the most attractive and intuitive interface and downloaded the most comprehensive information.

But I really disliked that you had to purchase each cataloging 'module' (books, movies, etc) separately and that they ran as independent programs. Plus, I don't believe the export options were great (options for a migration path out of a program is always a consideration for me).

MediaMan included all databases (books, CD's, DVD, tapes, software) in one simple and attractive program for a very reasonable price, had good export options, and had pretty good customer service from the developer. Ultimately I just thought it would work better for me and I haven't been disappointed...

It's been a month since I received the computer, and I just wanted to report that everything is working well :) I really enjoy playing Vanguard and Age of Conan on high settings :D I'm seeing things in the games that I never saw before with my old computer, hehe.

I still remember one time last year when I was grouping with some friends in Vanguard, and one of them said something about a mob over by the cart. I was like "what cart?" He said "the one over there in front of you!" I had no cart on my screen...

It's nice when I'm able to turn on all the eye candy :)

Now that the GTX 280 has dropped in price to $449, I think I'll be using the eVGA Step-Up instead of buying an HD 4870x2. However, I'm going to wait until near the end of August, just in case nVidia manages to get out the 55nm refresh in record time. I have until August 31 to Step-Up.

It's been a month since I received the computer, and I just wanted to report that everything is working well :) I really enjoy playing Vanguard and Age of Conan on high settings :D I'm seeing things in the games that I never saw before with my old computer, hehe.

I still remember one time last year when I was grouping with some friends in Vanguard, and one of them said something about a mob over by the cart. I was like "what cart?" He said "the one over there in front of you!" I had no cart on my screen...

It's nice when I'm able to turn on all the eye candy :)

Now that the GTX 280 has dropped in price to $449, I think I'll be using the eVGA Step-Up instead of buying an HD 4870x2. However, I'm going to wait until near the end of August, just in case nVidia manages to get out the 55nm refresh in record time. I have until August 31 to Step-Up.
Not gonna happen. not a chance in hell :D Abuse your AVA-eVGA partnership and step it up :D

Why not SLI two GTX 280s???

Seriously, as a long time nvidia user, I bought my first two ATI cards this month, two 4870s in Crossfire. I really like them. In my eye, the ATI cards seem to show more color and detail than the nvidia cards did......just an observation.......consider the 4870 X2.;)

OOOH, Magoo crossed over to the dark side!

I used to be an ATI fangrrrrl. I'm thinking that my next personal build is going to be AMD/ATI.

I used to be an ATI fangrrrrl. I'm thinking that my next personal build is going to be AMD/ATI.

The Force was strong.:eek::eek::eek:
And I was weak.
(plus the 299 price tag was sweet compared to the GTX 280)
Honestly, these new cards are teh excellent.

consider the 4870 X2.;)

I did consider it. However, it's now $150 (for me) to Step-Up vs. $500 - $550 for an HD 4870x2. Based on the games that I play (MMORPGs and turn-based strategy games), a GTX 280 will last me for several years, I think. When it's time to replace the video card, I'll get whatever is best at that time.

I did too! haha I used to be nVidia all the way, not that I didn't like ATi, it's just thats all I ever had was nVidia. I love my 4870 though.

I started with ATI, then crossed to Nvidia for the 6 and 7 series of cards. It's time for me to make up my mind about a new config, and I think that AMD has my attention (at least for now).

Back