• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

My New Computer Build

Joined
Sep 10, 2009
Messages
25
This is my first computer build so I'm prepared for any criticism. I found everything on Newegg except for the graphics card which is from Provantage.com.

1. Criteria: Gaming, streaming video, school
2. Budget: $850ish (with shipping/taxes)
3. Location: Orlando, FL
4. Need: CPU, Mobo, RAM, Case, PSU, Video Card
5. Have: HDD, DVD burner, monitor, keyboard, mouse and speakers
6. Overclocking?: Maybe in the future
7. Monitor: 20" and dual monitoring with my 32" LCD TV
8. ETA: Within the next few days
9. Mobo features: Don't care if it has a video card or not
10. OS: Windows 7

Case: NZXT BETA EVO Classic
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146059

PSU: CORSAIR 650W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

RAM: Patriot G Series ‘Sector 5’ Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220436

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103692

MOBO: MSI 790FX-GD70 AM3 AMD 790FX Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130223

Video Card: XFX Radeon HD5850 PCIE 1GB DDR5
http://www.provantage.com/xfx-hd585aznfc~7PINE0HR.htm
 
Thanks for the feedback!
No, but I'll be upgrading to two 23" monitors when I build back up the funds.

And whats the difference between the RAMs? Is it difficult to change the settings in the BIOS? This is my first computer build so I'm not that savvy on the BIOS configuration.
 
Last edited:
I'd imagine a stock i5 would be about the same speed as that x4. But overclocking would change that pretty fast.

As for the difference in RAM, the G.Skill he suggested have tighter timings and will be slightly faster due to that.
 
All that that means is that it uses 1.65v which is required for Intel stuff.

Setting everything for AUTO on the memory is pretty normal. Though you should set the main timings manually and leave the subs on AUTO.
 
Oh ok thanks. So everything else is alright? Including the video card? I would get it through Newegg but they are all out. Is that a legit site?

And should I purchase a heatsink or just use the one that comes with the chip? Also should I get thermal compound?
 
Last edited:
Forget the AMD X4 965 build and go with the Core i5-70 build. Overall, the Core i5-750 will beat the X4 965 in most applications.

NZXT BETA EVO Classic Series CS-NT-BETA-EVO for $59.99 w/free shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146059

Antec Earthwatts EA750 for $89.99 ($15 MIR) w/free shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371026

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 for $79.99 w/free shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231303

Intel Core i-5 750 + ASUS P7P55D LE both for $314.98 w/free shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.291936

XFX Radeon HD5850 PCIE 1GB DDR5 for $299.18 + $6.45 in shipping
http://www.provantage.com/xfx-hd585aznfc~7PINE0HR.htm

This is basically the same cost as the Phenom II X4 965 build
 
As far as pure CPU processing power, the i5 is much better than Ph2 X4. Phenom2 performs on par with Core2. AMD has nothing to compete with i5 and i7 right now. However, for gaming with a single vidcard, you most likely won't notice the difference between an i5 and an X4 ph2 with GPU limited games at 1680x1050 and higher anyhow.

If you plan on OC'ing, get an aftermarket CPU HSF, like the CM Hyper 212+. If you don't have any extra thermal compound, pickup some AS5 or MX-2, whichever is cheaper.
 
Thanks a lot! I'm gonna go with the i5 build now. Just out of curiosity, is there any advantage to the X4?
 
Ha true. Thanks for all the help! I ordered it all today so hopefully I'll have it up and running on Thursday.

Another question, am I going to need any extra cables, like for the HDD?
 
Will do!

I looked up SATA cables and saw there are a few different kinds. What is the standard cable that comes with the mobo? Is it SATA I, II, or III? Or will my HDD only be able to take a certain one? (I have a 1TB WD Caviar Black HDD)
 
The cable(s) that come with your mobo will do just fine. From the newegg pic, it looks like it comes with 2x SATA cables with locking latches. Your mobo comes with SATA300 support and your drives are also SATA300, so nothing to worry about.
 
Back
Top