My new build!

tylertoast

Limp Gawd
Hello all!

Today I put together a new build, am just looking for some opinions and some fixes from the community. Im pretty much trying to get into the next generation of Memory and processing, other then having to buy a $500 cpu and mobo.

If there are ANY suggestions please let me know.

I know my video card is lacking. But I will probably not get the 960 and just wait for a nice 970 or 980 to pop up on hardforum.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($113.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($107.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($45.00 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($62.10 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB SuperSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($189.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: NZXT H440 (Orange/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($124.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1154.02
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-01 08:21 EDT-0400

Wait, did you already buy the parts or did you start planning today?

If the latter, please answer the stickied "ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS FIRST!" so that we can help you better.

Though off the bat, the SSD, CLC, and PSU are really terrible buys for the money.

Wait, did you already buy the parts or did you start planning today?

If the latter, please answer the stickied "ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS FIRST!" so that we can help you better.

Though off the bat, the SSD, CLC, and PSU are really terrible buys for the money.

I have not bought anything yes. Purely in the planning stage. I will probably get a full build in a months time.

And what would you say is a better PSU? I currently own a RM750 and it seems to have done me well. I mainly got it because of the super quiet fan.

I have not bought anything yes. Purely in the planning stage. I will probably get a full build in a months time.
Then I highly recommend waiting until about a week before you buy to ask for advice on hardware. Pricing and availability changes rapidly in the computer hardware market.

So bump up this thread with your answers to the stickied "ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS FIRST" in a few weeks.
And what would you say is a better PSU? I currently own a RM750 and it seems to have done me well. I mainly got it because of the super quiet fan.
It's an OK PSU but the main issue is pricing: You're more than likely overpaying for the so-so quality of that Corsair PSU. If you were buying this week and actually need a 750W PSU, I would recommend this PSU:
$119 - eVGA SuperNOVA 750G2 750W Modular PSU

It's better than the Corsair in every way besides noise level.

Wait, if you already own the Corsair RM750, what's the specs of your current system?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
My current system is a

- FX-8120
- MSI-G43 Mobo
- GTX 770
- HyperX Fury Ram
- RM750
- Corsair H60 Cooler
- 3TB Seagate HDD
and a few misc AF120 fans, along with it being inside of a Corsair 230T.

It was a really nice first build. I am just looking to overhaul into the "next gen" with skylake. Plus the FX-8120 runs super hot.

Back