My Man Cave in progress

I have been working on the Family theater room for a few months now. It's almost done so I thought I would share some pictures on my work and progress.

This is a picture right after I finished the drywall and getting the carpet put in. Yes me and my dad Frammed out the walls and hung the dry wall. I finish the dry wall my self. Carpet was put in by lowes since it was free install :D.

2011-10-04_17-06-16_268.jpg

This is my new screen I built my self. It's a 120 inch 16:9 screen. I built the frame and wrapped it in velvet. Then put the screen matieral in. (AKA laminate counter top). Just for refrence thats a 3 foot long lvl on top of the screen.

0214120720.jpg

This is how it looks today. I still have to put in the drop ceiling and run the speaker wire in the walls. Also Build a platform for the rear row of seats and speaker stands. But it's almost done.

DSC01100.jpg

DSC01101.jpg

Here is how my blu-ray collection looks in media center running my movies. This is all controlled through my android phone running a kick ass app called myremote for media center. All my blu-rays are converted to MKV's with just the Video and HD audio on them untouched to save on space. I don't really care about extra's and menu crap.

DSC01106.jpg

Here is my rack with all most equipment. From the top down. 1500va Battery back up, just for my Projector and Gaming/htpc. Next is my yammaha RX-A2010 reciver, DVR cable box, Sony SACD player. Then my gaming/HTPC, 4tb hard drive space for blu-rays, 128g ssd, 7970, i5 [email protected] and 750watt corsair PSU(soon to have a rack mounted watercooling system installed. The Pc in the bottom on the left is my wifes gaming rig, pc on the right is my pfsense router. What you can't see in the rack, wide band cable modem, 8 port gig switch and anoughter battery back up. All this is on it's own detecated 20a breaker.

DSC01103.jpg

Here is my desk, there is a 25 foot dvi-d cable and usb cable running over to the rack to run it. The side monitors are run by a laptop for work.

DSC01104.jpg

Thanks for looking...

Last edited:
I'm jealous as well. Even thought about adding some type of sound dampening material to the walls to prevent reflections?

I'm jealous as well. Even thought about adding some type of sound dampening material to the walls to prevent reflections?

Yea I'm going to after I put in the ceiling. The sound in the room is really sharpe right now and has some eco to it. I'm the only one that notices it. But I'm the only one that listens to music in there.

I downloaded the app myremote for my droid and have yet to get it to work. I put in the IP of the media center pc but still no go. are there any extra steps involved?

I downloaded the app myremote for my droid and have yet to get it to work. I put in the IP of the media center pc but still no go. are there any extra steps involved?

So you put in the ip address into your app on the phone and your connected to you home network? And the program is running in the bottom right down by the clock? If so it should work.

This is an amazing setup...I hope to do something like this...some day. Lol.

So you put in the ip address into your app on the phone and your connected to you home network? And the program is running in the bottom right down by the clock? If so it should work.

Ok I feel like a noob. I didn't have java installed on my system, soon as I got that up and running the app started and I am now in business. Thanks for that I'm loving it!

It's 20 feet long x 12 feet wide x 8 feet high. Sounds ok so far. I still have to put in the acoustic tile ceiling and some other acoustic treat ments. I'm making sand filled speaker stands with solid oak tops and bottoms. For the rear's and center. So there is no sound resinating or ecoing from the stands. Then I'll do some acoustic treatmenst that hang on the wall and some bass traps. Ordering the speaker wire to run in the walls next week and builing the rear stands I'll up date with pictures. Thanks

Awesome setup but its sad to see a cable box in there. get yourself a cable card tuner and never look back.

It's shaped up nicely.

The drop ceiling should come in handy, easy access to cables/wires, easy to paint or replace and the acoustic ones are pretty sound proof compared to standard, this i know from experience when i swapped out my standard ones.

I want to find something to pick on and say something negative because I am so jealous. That is awesome! Those stands came out pretty darn nice. Just 5.1 or did I miss the other speakers?

Just 5.1 for the moment. Will be going 7.1 later on. still have to get some spikes for the stands. Then I'm going to fill them with sand to deaden them. Thanks for the complements.

Sand should help with this, but how stable are the stands with speakers atop?

Otherwise, they look awesome and should perform admirably!

Sand should help with this, but how stable are the stands with speakers atop?

Otherwise, they look awesome and should perform admirably!

There actally very stable. Very happy with them. The wood is Oak from lowes. Only cost me about 50 bucks in materials. Online somthing close to thses will set you back like 400 bucks lol. DIY is always cheaper.

What kind of speakers are you running?

The setup is awesome though! Although ive never heard of someone using laminate for the actual screen, that saves a ton of money compared to regular screens but what are the pros and cons of going that route?

Way to go again though.

Looks awesome and I miss my G-15 V1.0 as well. It was sadly taken from me without my consent on Mar 22nd of this year along with all the rest of my electronics.

With the cable card tuner you still need the cable box, you just send the tv signal to the card. Then windows media center (or other) can read the signal as "live tv". I used a hauppauge in the past and it was decent until I tried to access my cable companies "on demand" material. I just couldn't configure the MCE remote to function exactly like the cable remote and therefore couldn't navigate the "on demand" menus properly (IR signal communication between the PC/cable box). But navigating the tv guide, selecting shows and all the basics worked perfectly. Love your setup though!!! All of it.

With the cable card tuner you still need the cable box, you just send the tv signal to the card. Then windows media center (or other) can read the signal as "live tv". I used a hauppauge in the past and it was decent until I tried to access my cable companies "on demand" material. I just couldn't configure the MCE remote to function exactly like the cable remote and therefore couldn't navigate the "on demand" menus properly (IR signal communication between the PC/cable box). But navigating the tv guide, selecting shows and all the basics worked perfectly. Love your setup though!!! All of it.

? I have an infinitv4 cablecard tuner and no box and get all the premiums...I think you are thinking of a regular tuner. the multi-stream cablecard is doing the work of the box so you dont need it...

edit-also big props to the OP, I really dig the setup and now am determined to build me some speaker stands too :D

What kind of speakers are you running?

The setup is awesome though! Although ive never heard of someone using laminate for the actual screen, that saves a ton of money compared to regular screens but what are the pros and cons of going that route?

Way to go again though.

I'm using athena technologies speakers. Love them to bad they stopped making them. Some of the best sounding speakers unless you spend north of 2k. The screen works great. Looks just as good as any custom ordred screen. Reason I went with is because I have a 2 year old and cats. They can do whatever to it and not mess it up. Already had the cat try and attack it lol. Got about 180 bucks in it. If any one wants to build those stands I can link the guid I used. thanks for the complements.

I'm using athena technologies speakers. Love them to bad they stopped making them. Some of the best sounding speakers unless you spend north of 2k. The screen works great. Looks just as good as any custom ordred screen. Reason I went with is because I have a 2 year old and cats. They can do whatever to it and not mess it up. Already had the cat try and attack it lol. Got about 180 bucks in it. If any one wants to build those stands I can link the guid I used. thanks for the complements.

That is genius!

I really enjoyed athenas, I ended up going PSB but you're right its a shame we won't get any new Athenas..

PSB is supposed to make some good speakers. Its coming out nice.

Yup I love mine!!

It was between Athenas, PSB and Paradigm. Found a deal I couldnt pass up on the PSBs so it forced my hand.... Good thing to, I would have spent months deciding between the three.

I would love to see your guide! thanks in advance

i love the use of your rack mount setup. I cant wait till i start on my man cave next year.

Back