My Intel 510s Arrived

ToddW2

2[H]4U
Wooho :D

1 is for my desktop storage and minor mysql. I'm tired of slow slow access times of my "storage" (WD Black) drive.

1 is for my MacbookPro.

Questions regarding using in MBP-
1. Should I do anything to update/upgrade prior to installing the new drive, and OSX ?

2. Anything to configure/change when booting into OSX the first time with SSD?

I`m stoked... the MBP should have new life with this SSD and new 8gig ram :)

R both ur PCs Apples? I would check with Intel for any firmware updates for the SSDs, just in case updating the firmware, after OS install causes any problems.

It's pretty easy, personally, I used a clean install of OSX (what the heck while I'm at it kinda thing), then just restored off of a time machine backup.

Otherwise, nope, not really aware of anything special for setup. Though you might want to run the Groth's Trim Enabler tool if you are running 10.6.7.

Oh, and if you don't need the Optical drive (cause really, who does) I'd get an optibay and install the original boot drive there as storage.

No and no. Although I've had two out of four G2s die in my Macs. I was most likely just unlucky.
It seems to me that TRIM is not necessary on OS X. I benchmarked an 80gig G2 and after filling it 10 times with a good mix of data under OS X, I found no slowdown at all. Comparably, under Windows 7 (Boot Camp) with TRIM disabled, slowdown started at four fills and after seven it'd lost nearly half the original speed...

Although I've had two out of four G2s die in my Macs. I was most likely just unlucky
You weren't unlucky.

I've RMAd 3 Intel SSDs but I would still call them a great product.

I have to ask how they failed. Did it happen in a similar manner on all of the drives?
Yup. Wake Mac from sleep, everything seems fine, but it quickly becomes apparent that something is horribly wrong. Unable to save anything. Cannot reboot, have to force power off. The drive now thinks it is 8MB...
(one 160Gig and one 80Gig, both G2s, one in a Mac Pro (early 2008), one in an MacBook Pro (early 2007))

Sounds like the MBP is killing drives :confused: maybe ???

I've had my G2 Intel in my desktop Win7 for probably 12months+ running daily 12hrs of actual usage per-day almost every day since.

I have installed 2 others for friends 12mo+ and no issue either, all win7.

I can def. tell my win7 is slower than 12 months ago though! That's 1 reason I got the 2nd 510, for my windows files. I may end-up re-installing win7 on the 510, and use my G2 80gig for file-storage.

Pretty much.

They just started failing to be recognized at times until they wouldn't work at all.

Thanks, thats what I figured that you would say. I guess that it's somewhat common. It's amazing what I find out after buying a ssd. ;)

Thanks, thats what I figured that you would say. I guess that it's somewhat common. It's amazing what I find out after buying a ssd. ;)

Somewhat common :rolleyes:

Check out the stats on the RMA / Drive failures Intel is the lowest, and well known as most reliable SSD on the market ATM.

Somewhat common :rolleyes:

Check out the stats on the RMA / Drive failures Intel is the lowest, and well known as most reliable SSD on the market ATM.

You got those statistics from where?

That seems to be the most common way for these drives to fail. I'm not calling them unreliable.

Page 16 of this Intel IDF 2011 presentation has some statistics on Intel SSD reliability and return rates:

https://intel.wingateweb.com/bj11/s...FEBB95DE718A9052CAECAEF3E3B3D86AB8835269E2E7D

If that link does not work, you can get to the PDF file by going to this page, searching for SSD in the title, and clicking on the PDF icon of the "SSDs in client applications" presentation.

https://intel.wingateweb.com/bj11/scheduler/catalog.do

Code:
ARR = annual return rate
AFR = annual failure rate
-----------------------------------
Group          #SSDs    ARR     AFR
===================================
Intel IT       >45K    1.06%  0.61%
ZT Systems    >100K    0.46%  0.26%
Resellers &
Distributors  >500K    0.77%  0.40%
-----------------------------------