My friend Acer Laptop WIndows Boot error

My friend has the following Windows Boot error on his Acer 5750-6866 Laptop.

I'm not sure what is causing it though and it won't allow me to do selective startup to boot into safe mode or boot from optical disc's. It may allow me to boot from the recovery partition, but I don't know what key to press to access it, but I don't want to wipe out the data on his system without backing it up first. However, I'm also having a difficult time getting the hard drive to come out using minimal force because I don't want to break anything. Does anyone know why he's getting this boot error and if not do they know how I can get the hard drive out without breaking anything, so I can recover any data he might want to keep. In the mean time I'm going to try booting from my linux mint usb flash drive to recover any files using that and if that doesn't work I don't know what will.

Last edited:
I tried using linux mint, but I don't understand or like how testdisk recovers the partition because it seems like it writes the the same partiton its reading from. With that being said I think I'm going to use R-studio for linux when I get the time because I'm already using the machine with it for another data recovery process.

Also, if the hard drive is not coming out easily, something might still be screwed down.

you can boot off the Win7 disc, go to "Repair my computer," Advanced, and then get in to a command prompt and run a chkdsk

Back