My first strike against Windows 8 finally!

FrEaKy

[H] Movie and TV Show Review Guy
I have been a major advocate for Windows 8 since its release, I really think under the hood its a great operating system if you spend some time with it, tweak some stuff here and there, it really is a nice OS.

Well, I have it running on my Dell Vostro 3550, and for the fun of it I was messing around with Neverwinter and was having a good time, but realized my graphics settings were TERRIBLE. Checked in the troubleshooting section of the video options to find it was only seeing the Intel 3000 HD graphics adapter. Odd. So I open up System, checking Device Manager and see the nice exclamation point besides my 6650M adapter. Okay, check the info, error 43. Okay, seen this before, stupid device signatures don't match. No biggie.

Grab newest AMD drivers, get it underway, get it finished, reset system. Nothing, same effect. No switching between the two adapters, cant select it, don't even see it.

Check around a bit, realized the Intel HD 3000 drivers are version 9.17 which Intel confirmed don't have switchable graphics option enabled anymore.

Okay, do some more checking, looked in Device settings, realized I had the same error for the AMD graphics adapter again as well.

Fine, whatever.

Grab the Windows 7 64-bit driver for AMD that has the Intel Embedded adapter drivers as well for the Vostro 3550 and install those, boom, Intel drivers are good (8.59 or something like that) and it recognizes my AMD, but as a generic AMD. Thats fine. Grab the 7650 drivers since its just a re-labeled 6650, graphics show up properly.

Nice

Go to run Configure Switchable graphics on the desktop right click menu. Nothing. It just sits.

Okay, reboot just incase.

Retry

Nothing.

Okay, fine, load ccc.exe

Nothing.

just sits.

Stare at it for a minute, go grab the latest CCC from ATI's site (http://www.ati.com/products/catalystcontrolcenter/index.html) and try again. Nothing.

Try compatibility and drop it down to Windows 7, nothing, drop it down to XP, nothing, run as admin, nothing.

Pull hair out

Finally have enough of this and finally give Windows 8 its first red mark in my book. This is a major pain in the ass!

For shens, I went ahead and deleted dotnet4.0 from the system and reinstalled dotnet, than deleted CCC (since CCC runs off dotnot) and reinstalled.

After doing so ccc comes up

trying to play with it now.

Interesting as I am having a simliar problem with this game.
Windows 8 Asus laptop Intel HD4000 and M660ti with i5. Can not get the 660 to stay engaged during game play on wall power.
Not sure if it's the same problem, but let alone a problem for sure...

That isn't a Windows 8 problem. As you mentioned you tried all the OS's. That is AMD's shitty Catalyst Driver. While I love my processor, I have always and will still keep hating on their video drivers.

That isn't a Windows 8 problem. As you mentioned you tried all the OS's. That is AMD's shitty Catalyst Driver. While I love my processor, I have always and will still keep hating on their video drivers.

Yeah, had I waited at least 10 more minutes this would have been a "Strike against AMD" thread.

It ended up being a mix of dotnet and CCC. After doing all that good stuff, Neverwinter is now running maxed settings and running smooth as silk.

don't pay attention to this guy

Go to Dell's site and install their driver

I had the same issue when I reinstalled Windows 7 on my 3450 and installing the Dell driver first and that resolve it. I was then able to update my driver.

This is how I did my install

1. Install OS
2. Instal lINF files
3. Installed Dell video driver and updated to latest catalyst
4. Installed remaining system drives
5/. Windows Update

Back