My first mod: Alienware

Moddest Mouse

Limp Gawd
I bought an alienware 2 years ago as my first computer. Only 1 piece of the original computer is still in there; the 120mm fan.

you can see i cut the sides of the case (the black plastic) and added modder's mesh so that i have better airflow. The vent in the back of the case is for exhaust from The Wall
848483720_cce3dda7b7.jpg

I call this the Wall of Fans.
848483792_92276f5788.jpg

The Wall with the lights on (and off)
847686149_55f0aed378.jpg

The top vent
848511214_17c8339761.jpg

i did the whole thing free hand with my dremel. it's not perfect, but this is just about as good as its going to get. I'm working on a new project I'm calling Parepin which will be up in a few days.

yikes thats a lot of fans. i need something like that to pull more air out of my AC vent lol

Wow 6300 at 3100 with those temps? Sounds like hurricane much? Why don't you just get a Vigor Gaming Electric CPU Cooler?

Wow 6300 at 3100 with those temps? Sounds like hurricane much? Why don't you just get a Vigor Gaming Electric CPU Cooler?

Meh, My e6300 @ 2.8ghz only hits around 34c playing games and 40c is the highest I have ever seen it with a very high room temp (orthos). I'm only running very basic water cooling with Nexus fans and it's bloody quiet.

Sorry OP but as a bit of a silence freak that looks terrible to me :(

Ugh... my friend had an Alienware in a case just like yours, always overheating, just horrible case, and even worse customer service; but he didn't want to risk his warranty.

So once the warranty passed by we moved the system to my old PC-65B as I had moved to this Shuttle SD32G2B.

He's had no problems since, and the PC-65B is much better looking and has much better airflow; that huge plastic hunk on top of the *real* case beneath on those Alienware's is just horrible... and no amount of modding can fix it... good try though... just my opinion.

So ya spent 50,000 two years ago for the Alienware bundle of plastic and then another ???? to update it. Now ya have a ??? PC that sounds like a jet taking off.
J/K. :D nice system.

I love all those fans!! The only thing I might do is change the placement of the lighted ones; possibly a diagonal going from the front top fan to the bottom rear fan or vise-versa. I am in the process of building a new computer and I am going to be replacing the stock fans that the tj-07 comes with, with some high cfm fans from sidewindercomputers.com I like air movement!! Anyways good job on the first time modding!!

You need to hook an A/C up in there now, besides, it might have been cheaper than all those fans. :eek:

Nice rig BTW.

I love all those fans!! The only thing I might do is change the placement of the lighted ones; possibly a diagonal going from the front top fan to the bottom rear fan or vise-versa.

i have the red fans like that because they are the exhaust fans.

847611173_fb54f00a90.jpg

the vent there is for all of the exhaust and it glows really nicely with all the red fans.

I'm sure you worked hard on this and everything but honestly those fans are a joke. They are completely unneeded and are probably doing more harm than good. Keep an eye on your power rails because with that many fans you risk killing your HDD from power fluctuations unless you have an amazing PSU but chances are you still have the stock one from Alienware.

I'm sure you worked hard on this and everything but honestly those fans are a joke. They are completely unneeded and are probably doing more harm than good. Keep an eye on your power rails because with that many fans you risk killing your HDD from power fluctuations unless you have an amazing PSU but chances are you still have the stock one from Alienware.

hey... not only are you completely wrong, but i already explained how very wrong you are. i said in the first post that i had only one original part from alienware, the fan. the fans lower my temps by 8c with my overclock. its a hiper power supply and i checked all my volts so my fluctuation is tiny. and considering they cost about 36 dollars total... yeah, you couldnt be more wrong. nice try though:D

Meh, My e6300 @ 2.8ghz only hits around 34c playing games and 40c is the highest I have ever seen it with a very high room temp (orthos). I'm only running very basic water cooling with Nexus fans and it's bloody quiet.

Sorry OP but as a bit of a silence freak that looks terrible to me :(

My E6300 @ 3.45GHz hits around 60c under Intel TAT 100% load under water cooling. Bloody quiet too. :)

I like your array of 12 fans, I am now going to buy a foot long screw, and do that on my radiator.

Umm why destroy that case when they sell for between 200 and 400 bux on ebay second hand, you should of fleabayed it and bought another case.

Just my opinion.

He's lying they go for that much for buy it now. I doubt anyone would buy them though.

Where is the faliure?

Did you miss the part about:

-Wall of 80mm fans
-No justifiable setup
-80mm...
-Alienware
-Should of bought a new case, heatsinks, or both

I'm a little worried about you.

Did you miss the part about:

-Wall of 80mm fans
-No justifiable setup
-80mm...
-Alienware
-Should of bought a new case, heatsinks, or both

I'm a little worried about you.

In the ghetto mod thread, this rig WINS
:rolleyes:

Its his case, he can do what he wants. Why all the crying? :rolleyes:

Maybe he had all the fans lying around unused or couldn't afford more hardware?

If it lowers temps, then great.

what the hell?! it looks as if u cut the stuff out with both hands tied on your back and blindfolded =/ do me a favor and never EVER touch a dremel again! if u can't do it good, then dont do it at al! geez...

as for the fans... a bit overkill huh? might lower the temp but is ugly as hell

Crazy shit.

That must have taken a bunch of bits to cut through the steel below the plastic.

I cant say I'm crazy about it, but its beauty is in your time and effort.

All in all, it just another fan in the wall.:D

This is definitely a very unfriendly place. No reason to be so negative because the OP shared his case mod ... even if you don't like it, no reason to be so rude. :(

Yeah, even though some people don't like it, that case still has a lot of fans.
Don't mind the naysayers; they're just blowing a lot of hot air.

(I'm here all night, folks... :D)

Dude don't let them get you down. Keep modding and improving your skills. I want to see what you guys (the crap talkers) have done that is so great. You put up your best, then I will. Otherwise leave the kid alone or at least don't be such jerks about it.

I should get Q-Tip in here to own you guys as well. If he were to critique a build I would listen since he is established. Until you prove otherwise, you are a bunch of hacks.

Oh, my modded Alienware is still awesome. No matter what other rigs I build I will keep it (it is truly a one-of-a-kind work of art). Shaz's latest build can surely biatch slap most of you as well.

To the op:
Nice work, that is hilariously cool in a ghetto sort of way :D! I almost want to do that, could be fun :). Good work and keep modding.

For the haters: if you have nothing nice to say, stfu. Seriously. There's nothing wrong with constructive criticism but if you got nothing but rude ass, unconstructive crap to say then shut your damn mouth. If you dont like his mod then make your own or gtfo.

To the op:
Nice work, that is hilariously cool in a ghetto sort of way :D! I almost want to do that, could be fun :). Good work and keep modding.

For the haters: if you have nothing nice to say, stfu. Seriously. There's nothing wrong with constructive criticism but if you got nothing but rude ass, unconstructive crap to say then shut your damn mouth. If you dont like his mod then make your own or gtfo.

Hey now!!!! bit rude much???

If those people hate their own sad pathetic lives so much that the only enjoyment they can get is to rip the f*ck out of other people's shit (out of the kind of people that have put their own hard work, time and effort etc into something that they're proud of, the kind of people who want to share with all of us and help keep any kind of community spirit going on in here), without displaying any form constructive critisism et al, then who are we to judge???

Yes, I'm being sarcastic.... above poster QFT

You have the money to blow on this overpriced PC... At least blow couple more dough for more effective and practical solution.

If this was for shit and giggle... I would laugh about it but you are serious about this solution...

FAIL!

My rig A64 3000+ 1.8ghz at 2.54ghz all air. Dead quiet and practical.
Interior.jpg

Wrong.

See, you have a really nice rig, did a very good job of putting everything together, cable management is beautiful, and a respectable o/c as well, but........Explain how you consider that machine a "mod".... not to be an asshole or anything, but your machine required nothing more than money and patience.... and enough brains to hit a stable o/c... but I don't see where you put any imagination or creativity into that box.....

How about one of you that chose to bash the OP post up some pics of your killer mods.. and I mean mods that required more than a phillips screwdriver to complete...And honestly, why do you all care if it's loud or not? I doubt any of you can hear it from your house... sooooo.....

OP.. my first mod was an old Dell, ripped the side off and painted it, added a few fans, a hsf and some ccfl's and it is still my favorite mod... I like what you've done and I look forward to seeing your next project....

Back