My first corporate phone. Which to pick?

What Verizon Phone to pick as of May 1st.

• Galaxy Nexus

Votes: 17 54.8%
  • Droid Razr Maxx

Votes: 12 38.7%
  • HTC Rezound

Votes: 2 6.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FerraraZ

Gawd
I'm getting a Verizon phone starting in the month of May from my company (MDM company IT admins PM me if your interested for more info). Either way, I'm having a hard time deciding which is the better phone for the next year before I can upgrade. I always switch phones so I need to find something I will love. Let me know your feelings about the phones listed in the poll.

Galaxy Nexus. It's an awesome, full featured Android phone. It can easily be rooted and unlocked without voiding the warranty because it's a genuine Google phone.

Get the Droid Maxx, I have had a corporate phone for the past 6 years and there are times when i would give anything for extended battery life than some unwanted features.

Tough call, but it's definitely between the Maxx and Galaxy Nexus. The only reason you would get the Maxx over the Nexus is if you prioritize battery life above everything else, because the Nexus is the superior phone in all other categories except maybe signal strength. But I haven't had any signal issues on my Nexus. I have comparable signal everywhere my wife does on her Rezound and about the same as my old OG Droid did before I upgraded.

The Rezound is a good phone (like I said, my wife has one), but the battery life on it is marginal (a bit worse than my Nexus from what I can tell) and despite its CPU running 300 MHz faster than the Nexus, it's noticeably slower, esp. when scrolling anywhere or browsing the web in general. I'm hoping the ICS update will make the Rezound run better, because using her phone, then using mine makes hers seem like a lagfest. ICS lets you force hardware acceleration on everything though, so that may be why. The screen is actually a tad better than the Nexus, IMO though. I think the Rezound still has the highest PPI of any phone on the market right now (720p @ 4.3".). The Razr phones look atrocious compared to the other two. Seriously, go to the store and look at them side by side, you'll see jaggies and off-color tones on the Razr, esp. on text when browsing the web. I would be very annoyed by that display if I had to stare at it every day. Pentile is somewhat noticeable at 720p on the Nexus, but at qHD, it's just horrible.

Tough call, but it's definitely between the Maxx and Galaxy Nexus. The only reason you would get the Maxx over the Nexus is if you prioritize battery life above everything else, because the Nexus is the superior phone in all other categories except maybe signal strength. But I haven't had any signal issues on my Nexus. I have comparable signal everywhere my wife does on her Rezound and about the same as my old OG Droid did before I upgraded.

The Rezound is a good phone (like I said, my wife has one), but the battery life on it is marginal (a bit worse than my Nexus from what I can tell) and despite its CPU running 300 MHz faster than the Nexus, it's noticeably slower, esp. when scrolling anywhere or browsing the web in general. I'm hoping the ICS update will make the Rezound run better, because using her phone, then using mine makes hers seem like a lagfest. ICS lets you force hardware acceleration on everything though, so that may be why. The screen is actually a tad better than the Nexus, IMO though. I think the Rezound still has the highest PPI of any phone on the market right now (720p @ 4.3".). The Razr phones look atrocious compared to the other two. Seriously, go to the store and look at them side by side, you'll see jaggies and off-color tones on the Razr, esp. on text when browsing the web. I would be very annoyed by that display if I had to stare at it every day. Pentile is somewhat noticeable at 720p on the Nexus, but at qHD, it's just horrible.

The Rezound uses a Qualcomm S3 (Snapdragon architecture) chip, so its 1.5GHz is not as fast in pure CPU speed vs a 1.2GHz Cortex A9 based design. That being said, the Adreno 220 GPU is rather competitive.

Galaxy nexus is a great toy...but not the best business tool.

In terms of build quality, radio quality, and battery life, the MAXX slaughters the nexus...and those are the most 3 important things when it comes to business. I doubt you will be loading custom roms on a business phone.

In terms of build quality, radio quality, and battery life, the MAXX slaughters the nexus...and those are the most 3 important things when it comes to business. I doubt you will be loading custom roms on a business phone.

This was exactly how I was viewing it even though I love rom'ing the hell out of my GS2 Skyrocket. I never wanna be in a situation where I couldnt plug my phone in all day and at 3 am when I def need it, I'll be tethered.

The Rezound uses a Qualcomm S3 (Snapdragon architecture) chip, so its 1.5GHz is not as fast in pure CPU speed vs a 1.2GHz Cortex A9 based design. That being said, the Adreno 220 GPU is rather competitive.

Indeed. I knew this but didn't care to elaborate on it. I'm pretty sure the Adreno 220 can't keep up with the SGX 540 in most benches or games though. Esp. if you have the 540 clocked to 512 MHz as opposed to 384 MHz in the OMAP 4430 devices (RAZR phones, Droid 3/4, Bionic) or 200 MHz in the Galaxy S variants (Hummingbird SoC).

I have the Verizon Nexus and love it, but...for a workday / business it sucks on battery life and network connection.

For a solid hardworking phone the Droid-MAXX is the smart choice. Will last all day easily, and Motorola makes the best radios for solid network connection.

So yeah the Nexus is a more fun and cooler phone, but for a professional guy that needs long lasting battery + stability, the MAXX no question.

Last edited:
that is a highly opinionated suggestion, IMO it would be the G.nexus with its stock one, but again its all preference......If there is a mail app on the market you prefer, any of them can use that as well

We use Exchange pushing ActiveSync and native android mail clients dont always play nice with that so we use Touchdown as a median for the Android platform. I know all this because I work for an MDM vendor :D

Don't most corps only support their own mail apps?

Unless you are working for a small company maybe that just uses standard exchange or IMAP

For business use you gotta go droid razr maxx imo. The battery life is incredible, Unless you really want to root and put roms on a work phone.

I would think security should rank pretty highly on that list, and the Nexus wins by a landslide there. You'll get patches the quickest, it's definitely going to have the longest support life, and there has been recent news that the vast majority of root exploits are due to carrier/OEM modifications and skins and are not in stock Android.

I also don't see how build quality enters the picture here. The GN is a very solid device, it's build quality is good. The carbon-whatever the MAXX has is a style thing and has no impact on business needs.

I see the fight being MAXX with battery life vs. GN with security. Unless someone has actual data that the radio quality on the MAXX is better, that's a tie based off of Anandtech's investigation: http://www.anandtech.com/show/5254/investigating-the-galaxy-nexus-lte-signal-issue and http://www.anandtech.com/show/5509/cdmalte-galaxy-nexus-404-update-changes-signal-reporting

I would think security should rank pretty highly on that list, and the Nexus wins by a landslide there. You'll get patches the quickest, it's definitely going to have the longest support life, and there has been recent news that the vast majority of root exploits are due to carrier/OEM modifications and skins and are not in stock Android.

I also don't see how build quality enters the picture here. The GN is a very solid device, it's build quality is good. The carbon-whatever the MAXX has is a style thing and has no impact on business needs.

I see the fight being MAXX with battery life vs. GN with security. Unless someone has actual data that the radio quality on the MAXX is better, that's a tie based off of Anandtech's investigation: http://www.anandtech.com/show/5254/investigating-the-galaxy-nexus-lte-signal-issue and http://www.anandtech.com/show/5509/cdmalte-galaxy-nexus-404-update-changes-signal-reporting
The data issues with the nexus don't have to do with signal itself but the ability to acquire/maintain 4G/3G in fringe areas. You can see the reviews mentioning it everywhere:

http://wireless.amazon.com/customerreviews/B0061R2A1S/ref=cr_detail_histogram_top

There are other issues as well - low speaker volume and that dreaded "plasticy" feeling that you won't get with the Razr.

As far as security - as long as you keep the phone encrypted, don't root, and don't install any sketchy/bad apps, I don't think you'll have an issue with either phone.

Back