My first build

e_thorpe88

n00b
Hey guys I'm looking for some first time builder advice based on the things that ill be doing with it.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Really want it to be able to play fall out new Vegas and Dialog iii when it comes out. Also want itunes to run smooth and eventually be able to watch blue rays but ill add the blue ray drive later
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
Budget is around 800 plus whatever shipping is
3) Where do you live?
Reno NV
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
CPU motherboard RAM video card hard drive (thinking of getting an ocz revo for my OS and applications)
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
I have a cm storm scout case 700 watt silent pro psu and a cm v8 CPU cooler. Also have key board mouse and a 1080p monster
6) Will you be overclocking?
Yes
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
About 22 - 24 inches and I might get a second one but that's not part of my budget
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Between now and Christmas
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? etc.
Only the items that will allow me to accomplish what I need
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
I have a brand new copy of Windows 7 pro

Last edited:
Is there any way you can narrow down when exactly you're gonna build the PC? Whatever parts we recommend today may not be the best parts to buy in December or Christmas time. If the best you can say is "Between now and Christmas " then come back when you're about 1-2 weeks away from actual purchase.

What danny said.. Also you may want to budget in a new PSU.. That CM doesn't exactly have good reviews.

I'll run with the cm for now, if I have any issues then ill get a new psu. I think I might be breaking down and buying my parts this weekend

I'll run with the cm for now, if I have any issues then ill get a new psu. I think I might be breaking down and buying my parts this weekend

Yea thats it.. Run with a known low quality PSU for now & when it breaks down hope your only replacing it & not the rest of the new system your building too..

Its not worth gambling on a PSU. All other components if that component goes bad its probably just that component going bad.. with a PSU if it surges before it goes it can fry your motherboard, video card, & hard drives all in 1 shot.

Yeah speaking from experiance, I tried throwing together some used (aka cheap ass psu) with some new parts for my mothers build and thats what I ended up with. Pretty much fried the whole enchilada, junk.

Man if you were coming from a Good quality PSU we wouldnt be telling you to change it. But your not. I wouldnt use that CM in a new build when the PSU was new & since its now not your chances of it going bad are greatly incrased.

Yea thats it.. Run with a known low quality PSU for now & when it breaks down hope your only replacing it & not the rest of the new system your building too..

Its not worth gambling on a PSU. All other components if that component goes bad its probably just that component going bad.. with a PSU if it surges before it goes it can fry your motherboard, video card, & hard drives all in 1 shot.

+1 The PSU will make or Break you build. I wouldnt gamble that PSU.

Yeah speaking from experiance, I tried throwing together some used (aka cheap ass psu) with some new parts for my mothers build and thats what I ended up with. Pretty much fried the whole enchilada, junk.

Man if you were coming from a Good quality PSU we wouldnt be telling you to change it. But your not. I wouldnt use that CM in a new build when the PSU was new & since its now not your chances of it going bad are greatly incrased.

Guys, that PSU is of good quality. It's based on the same Enhance PSU platform as this Coolermaster Silent Pro 600W:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=134

No reason for the OP to replace his PSU unless his planned setup far exceeds in power requirement than what that PSU is capable of.

@ e_thorpe88
Are you absolutely sure that you'll be buying this weekend?

wow didnt realize it was that bad of a psu. i guess i will be looking into a new one then.
added note. This one is brand new never been used.

wow didnt realize it was that bad of a psu. i guess i will be looking into a new one then.
added note. This one is brand new never been used.

NO

It is not a bad PSU, The other guys are badly mistaken. The PSU you have now is perfectly fine and of good quality. Check the review I linked to. Your PSU is the same as that PSU but rated 100W higher. That's it.

To reiterate: YOU DO NOT NEED TO REPLACE YOUR PSU!

yes im sure ill be buying this weekend as long as i dont run into some unseen financial emergency

Yeah, all the reviews i saw seemed legit and i thought i had done my research. I am aware i am still new to the field of cpu building but living in an apt and going to school limits my automotive hobby to a minimum. So i thought id try somthing new

Prelim build then:
$268 - AMD Phenom II 1055T CPU + Asus M4A79XTD EVO AMD 790X AMD Motherboard Combo
$70 - G.Skill F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ 2 x 2GB DDR3 1600 RAM
$240 - Gigabyte GV-R687D5-1GD-B Radeon HD 6870 1GB PCI-E Video Card
$135 - OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTXE60G 2.5" 60GB SSD
$75 - Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
-----
$788 plus shipping

Actually, CoolerMaster PSUs, like those of Thermaltake, are on a model-by-model (or in this case, line-by-line) basis in terms of quality. Unfortunately for CoolerMaster (and Thermaltake), the mediocre to bad lines outnumber the good or even OK lines. The Silent Pro is one of the "good" lines from CoolerMaster (just like the Toughpower series is for Thermaltake).

Guys, that PSU is of good quality. It's based on the same Enhance PSU platform as this Coolermaster Silent Pro 600W:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=134

No reason for the OP to replace his PSU unless his planned setup far exceeds in power requirement than what that PSU is capable of.

@ e_thorpe88
Are you absolutely sure that you'll be buying this weekend?

OK I redid my research & came out with more good.. But this is what I dont like from the overclock3d.net review of the m700

Conclusion

With its single +12v rail, excellent modular cable system and a silicone gaskets to dampen vibrations, the Cooler Master Silent Pro 700w certainly looks like it has something for everyone, from overclockers to silent PC enthusiasts. However, as we've seen over on the previous page, the voltage stability of the unit is somewhat unusual, with both the +5v and +12v rails taking a roller-coaster ride depending on the distribution of load between them. While most of the time these voltages remained within ATX specifications and therefore shouldn't cause any issues, we can't help but wonder what kind of results a user would see with a configuration that exerts a very unbalanced load on the +5v and +12v rails (e.g a dual graphics card PC).

TBH though if Jonnyguru says its a go I cant argue with that since he is about as good as it comes to PSU's as far as I know.

Back