spacegravity4me
n00b
- Joined
- Jan 12, 2008
- Messages
- 14
Hey everybody. I'm starting to plan my first build. I've never really been a hardware guy until recently when I took apart my old desktop to try and see if I could upgrade it. It's got a Gigabyte GA-8SIMLH mb with a centrino processor and 512 mb of ddr ram. Needless to say it is SLOW. I'm running windows 7 on it and I've managed to get it to run pretty smoothly by disabling all the visual effects n such. That still doesn't stop the cpu from maxing out constantly but it's enough to stream music and stuff. I'm mainly trying to use it as an always on file server at the moment but I have so many other ideas. Long story short though is that it isn't going to cut it in the long run. You can't even look at youtube videos on it. I was just going to buy a cheap little mb/proc combo and use the current case till I can buy another and then I got to thinking why not go all the way. So I guess this will be my build thread of sorts. I won't have the money for a little while but I can tell you what I'd like to have so far.
Cases- Originally I was really wanting the Thermaltake Armor a90. It looks amazing. I'm a looks guy. It's also not expensive and out of all the cases I've looked at I really only liked it. But then I found what I really want! I found the Asus Vento 3600!!!! I almost died from shear happiness! Some of you may hate it and I know it's not new anymore but I am in love with it! I can't wait to get one. It fulfills my scifi fantasies!
Motherboard/Proc- Good question. I've decided that since I'm going to get a special case I might as well put something special in it. But this can't be too pricey, and when I say pricey i mean it really needs to be under 300 bucks. I know... Not great. But there's got to be something. I'll take any suggestions. To give you an idea of what might work I'll be using the pc for network file hosting, possible light server use, and who knows what else I can come up with. It will be more of an appliance. No gaming or anything extreme.
I always appreciate any input. Thanks guys. Let me know what you think.
Cases- Originally I was really wanting the Thermaltake Armor a90. It looks amazing. I'm a looks guy. It's also not expensive and out of all the cases I've looked at I really only liked it. But then I found what I really want! I found the Asus Vento 3600!!!! I almost died from shear happiness! Some of you may hate it and I know it's not new anymore but I am in love with it! I can't wait to get one. It fulfills my scifi fantasies!
Motherboard/Proc- Good question. I've decided that since I'm going to get a special case I might as well put something special in it. But this can't be too pricey, and when I say pricey i mean it really needs to be under 300 bucks. I know... Not great. But there's got to be something. I'll take any suggestions. To give you an idea of what might work I'll be using the pc for network file hosting, possible light server use, and who knows what else I can come up with. It will be more of an appliance. No gaming or anything extreme.
I always appreciate any input. Thanks guys. Let me know what you think.