My first build since 2008-2010!

Loiselle

n00b
I've just completed a much needed, and long overdue build of a new PC for myself. I got a lot of life and usage out of my old build, between 10-12 years worth. That build was comprised of an Asus P5Q Pro Turbo LGA 775 board, an Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400, 8GB of DDR2 800 memory, a GTX 1050 Ti, Cooler Master CMII case, and a few other things. Over the 6 to 12 months, however, it was REALLY starting to show its age. Programs were taking longer to open, haven't been able to play modern AAA titles for almost 3-4 years, really just general overall sluggishness.

So, in the last few weeks, I started to acquire the parts that would lead to this build. The funny thing is, it was MOSTLY unintentional. My original idea was to just get a new motherboard, CPU and memory. I would keep the existing GPU, PSU, SSD and HDD's, the case, and just put the new trio together. But as the parts started to arrive, I'd find a good deal here, and a good deal there. The next thing I know, it's a full blown overhaul of a new build. Well, these are the results.

If I could do ONE thing different in this build, it would be to get a new PSU for it, one that is totally modular, and get some custom sleeves for it. I think then I would be a lot happier, but until then, it's finished.

The components are listed in my signature.

3RXIZdn.jpg

t02AGIH.jpg

HY59zIx.jpg

Last edited:

Aegir

Limp Gawd
Heck yeeeeah 2060 KO Ultra!!

It's cheap, but not the cheapEST. =p

I've got one too.

Ready4Dis

[H]ard|Gawd
Nice, same case I got for my sons PC (Except his is black) which I just did basically your original plan to (new MB, CPU, RAM & 2nd hand GPU). Looks pretty good. Just out of curiosity, what is your airflow in there? Is the AIO in a PUSH/exhaust or PULL/intake config? What about your rear fans? We just put the original wraith RGB cooler on this 3700x for now, but I was debating whether to get a better air cooler or get a 280mm AIO.

somebrains

[H]ard|Gawd
Congrats, 10 years btw builds is a great way to save $.

Try reverse air flow with that case and post your before and after temps.
I was always kinda curious about NZXT recommending that if you used a front mounted aio.

I also picked up a 2060KO to see if DLSS and some of the scaling schemes like whatever Hyperscape uses worked. I have clips I haven't edited during the technical test if that 2060 pushing 100fps resolution locked at 1440p to 200fps+ at 75% resolution scaling. Seemed to hit every scaling level with a flat 25fps.

Loiselle

n00b
Nice, same case I got for my sons PC (Except his is black) which I just did basically your original plan to (new MB, CPU, RAM & 2nd hand GPU). Looks pretty good. Just out of curiosity, what is your airflow in there? Is the AIO in a PUSH/exhaust or PULL/intake config? What about your rear fans? We just put the original wraith RGB cooler on this 3700x for now, but I was debating whether to get a better air cooler or get a 280mm AIO.
Thanks! I haven't noticed anything negative in terms of airflow yet for temperatures sake. Even under full gaming load in game like Gears 5 and Halo MCC, I don't really hear the fans ramping up too much, and temps stay in line on the CPU between 60-70°c, depending on the settings I have dialed in. The frustrating part has been in just basic CPU monitoring, when watching the idle temps sitting anywhere from 28 to 32°c, and then jumping up to 42-46°c, then back down repeatedly. From what I'm reading, that's normal and common with Ryzen CPU's.

I have it set up in a PULL configuration. I would have preferred to go Push/Pull on it, but if I put 2 fans on the front of the radiator, there is next to no room to pull fresh air in from that side air intake.

The rear fans, both 120's, do a good job of exhausting air, but could be better. So, I'm swapping them out with some Corsair ML120 Pro RGB fans. In case you ask why I chose those fans, it's because I switched the AIO from the Cooler Master ML LE240 RGB to the Corsair H100i RGB Platinum 240mm AIO. I switched because the Cooler Master AIO was quite loud, even while at idle with a profile set to quiet. The fans that the AIO came with are the ML120 Pro RGB. They're insanely quiet, and do a very good job at pulling in fresh air. It was a noticeable difference right away... I could actually feel air being pulled into the case, whereas it wasn't as prevalent with the Cooler Master SickleFlow's. I figured it'd be smart to just replace those as well.

Congrats, 10 years btw builds is a great way to save $.

Try reverse air flow with that case and post your before and after temps.
I was always kinda curious about NZXT recommending that if you used a front mounted aio.

I also picked up a 2060KO to see if DLSS and some of the scaling schemes like whatever Hyperscape uses worked. I have clips I haven't edited during the technical test if that 2060 pushing 100fps resolution locked at 1440p to 200fps+ at 75% resolution scaling. Seemed to hit every scaling level with a flat 25fps.
I've never heard of, nor thought of trying reverse airflow. That might be worth a shot, and see what that really does. I mean, I get the notion behind it, it just never occurred to me.

TheHig

Gawd
Build looks great. Nice job!

I admire your discipline to get that kind of mileage out of your original build. 👍

Last edited:

Loiselle

n00b
Build looks great. Nice job!

I admire your discipline to get that kind of mileage out of your original build. 👍
I think I only got THAT much mileage out of it because I didn't feel like, didn't care to, or couldn't afford to do a full sail swap. In all honesty, it SHOULD have been done YEARS ago!

RazorWind

2[H]4U
It looks nice and clean.

That 2060 KO is a pretty neat card. They apparently used 2080 dies with parts of them disabled so that it plays games like a 2060, but they forgot to disable some other parts, so it does some work tasks more like a 2080.