• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

My first build doesn't post.

gkg101

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 4, 2007
Messages
422
This my first build for a co-worker friend, this will be her first computer.
Based on advice given on this forum this is what I've got installed ready to go.

Biostar TA785G3HD
AMD Athlon II X2 250
1 x G.SKILL DDR3 1333 Model F3 - 10600CL9S-2GBNT
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F4 HD322GJ/U 320GB 7200 RPM

I powered up for the first time, and great, everything seems to be running mechanically, but no post! No beeps at all and no signal going to the monitor.

This motherboard has on-board LED indicators and they show "Memory Error" from the pattern of the first LED being lit and second one not.
I've tried reseating the RAM in another slot but no difference. Any ideas? Is it simply a bad stick of RAM?
 
I can't help but think I did something wrong. Is this a fairly common experience - a bad stick of RAM?
 
It should atleast beep to you have if the motherbaord speaker hooked up. With the type of beep if you look at the manual it will tell you what it means.
 
It should atleast beep to you have if the motherbaord speaker hooked up. With the type of beep if you look at the manual it will tell you what it means.

No beeps and no PWR LED light although the front panel headers are connected and the system turns on with the case switch. Could this condition be consistent with bad RAM? Note that the motherboard has on-board LED indicators which seem to show a "memory error"
 
Last edited:
before you decide it's bad stick of ram i suggest taking out and reseating RAM/video card (on my first build i didn't set the RAM properly and created problem) and power plug it. since it's no beep i would say it might be the Mo Bo
 
A power on (fans and lights), but w/ no post (no beep, no video), usually mean the bios cannot resolve one or more of your bios settings. If you have a lot on auto, my first suspect is always ram, and you should try and input some conservative numbers (timing and voltage) for your ram.........this assumes that your cable connections are good, you're not overclocking, etc.

.
 
Last edited:
A power on (fans and lights), but w/ no post (no beep, no video), usually mean the bios cannot resolve one or more of your bios settings. If you have a lo on auto, my first suspect is always ram, and you should try and input some conservative numbers (timing and voltage) for your ram.........this assumes that your cable connections are good, you're not overclocking, etc.

.

Can't access the BIOS.
@scbjmshpv
Already tried reseating the RAM to another slot
 
is it in a case? do you get any beeps if you turn it on without ram or video plugged in?
 
be careful with that board I just got done building a Rig for myself using that Same board. Biostar TA785G3HD I had to RMA the board.

I was getting a Stupid memory error ph1_d1 led. I ended up getting a different board (ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO) and its working now. Ive never owned Biostar until now & I wont get another biostar board again.
 
Last edited:
Moral of the story then is stay away from Biostar? I've seen their stuff randomly but never heard any bad or good about them (except this). Figured they're probably some "it'll get the job done" kind of product maker; nothing exceptional, but it'll at least work most of the time.
 
Moral of the story then is stay away from Biostar? I've seen their stuff randomly but never heard any bad or good about them (except this). Figured they're probably some "it'll get the job done" kind of product maker; nothing exceptional, but it'll at least work most of the time.

I wonder what percentage of boards leave the factory defective, and if there are major differences in quality control among manufactures.
 
Biostar has put out some good boards and everyone sends out a bad board from time to time. I have put together 2 computers for friends with biostar boards and had no issues. My media server actually has a biostar board in it and runs 24/7 for over a year now with no problem.
 
Biostar has put out some good boards and everyone sends out a bad board from time to time. I have put together 2 computers for friends with biostar boards and had no issues. My media server actually has a biostar board in it and runs 24/7 for over a year now with no problem.

I'm going to try the same board again, and see.
 
Did you do a minimal install outside the box? No HDD with just the one stick of ram in the right slot for that configuration? Did you check the case connectors for proper orientation to pin one? Don't depend on the labels, look for the embossed triangle on the connector.
 
Sorry to have bothered you good people. I forgot to plug in the ATX plug, that square plug from the PSU. Now it post. I remember making the same mistake before when I changed out a motherboard on my current rig. I'm an idiot...a real idiot...especially because it happened before.
 
LOL!

Even the best of us will forget the simple things :D
 
Back
Top