My eyes straining, are these good options to reduce it ?

Subzerok11

Gawd
I’m getting older now a little over forty and I wanted to make sure I’ve ticked all the right boxes to lessen eye strain. My current monitor is the BenQ GW2470H and I got the brightness set at 30%. Before this monitor I had a bigger monitor the BenQ GW2760HS and it gave me more headaches and eyestrain. I got the BenQ GW2470H cause it was smaller and better for me at arms length. Now I don’t think there’s anything wrong with my monitor I think it’s a great all around monitor. I’m kinda just now looking for tips to minimize eye strain and headaches which aren’t really that bad it’s just I’m getting older and I feel that these problems are more frequent. I’m fine for a hour here and there it’s when I use my PC like 3-6 hours. I got my eyes checked and they said that my vision is still good and I can wait probably a couple more years before I need glasses.

From what I can see the options left for me to try is to further reduce brightness lower then 30% but I’m not sure about this. I wished you would have reviewed this monitor, it’s difficult to find a good/PRO review for it. The next option is increase text through my Firefox browser so everything is bigger on the internet. Last option would use windows settings in ‘Appearance and Personalization’ in windows 7 and make things bigger instead of the default small.

Question: is the last two options I mentioned about making things bigger will that mostly be the best and only options I have ?

Thanks

Check to make sure it isn't PWM flicker that is your real problem.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Check to make sure it isn't PWM flicker that is your real problem.

This.

I'd check ClearType settings as well. Different monitor, should probably have updated your ClearType settings anyway.

I've never liked Segoe or Calibri anyway...Ubuntu's font faces are much easier on the eyes at all sizes, their font pack is FOSS and free.

The GW2470H has no PWM.

Some people have issues with blue light output, you could try the monitor's low blue light mode.
Alternatively you could reduce blue light via f.lux (software level) or ScreenBright (hardware level)

If you're using it in a dark/dim room, a bias light can help with eyestrain.

If you notice eyestrain only with dark colours, then it is probably the VA gamma shift causing it.

White crush can also cause some eyestrain
White saturation - Lagom LCD test

The standard eye health supplements you can buy at most supermarkets also helps some people.

Last edited:
Before trying clear-type shouldn't I try the following two options ?

What about these two options is increase text through my Firefox browser so everything is bigger on the internet. Last option would use windows settings in ‘Appearance and Personalization’ in windows 7 and make things bigger instead of the default small.

Thanks

I bought a bias lighting strip and placed it behind the monitor, it is literally night and day difference, it's cheap so you have no excuses not to try it.

Besides the Antec Halo 6 LED Bias Lighting that Comixbooks suggested - I use it too and it makes a big difference - I'd suggest using f.lux when you work at night (f.lux). It'll tint your screen yellowish upon sunset and it makes reading at night so, so much better for my eyes. I grade a lot on my computer so staring at Word documents at 8, 9, 10pm was killing me (and not letting me sleep well). Bias light + f.lux has made life much easier for my also aging eyes.

https://www.amazon.com/Antec-Halo-L...TF8&qid=1470507095&sr=8-2&keywords=antec+bias

works great might want to increase size of desktop to 125% or move away from the monitor get a bigger desk.

You can get generic LED tape powered by USB or its own wallwart for the same price....that will cover panels 32" minimum. IIRC 5M rolls of LED tape with power supply are only $15USD. Being LED tape, you can cut it down to length as wanted.

In that light $12 Prime for only 24" panels is punk

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If you are unhappy with the GW2470H, you shoudl look for calibration and cleartype settings, because this monitor is about as good as it gets for reading: PWM-free, VA panel with. 4x more contrast than IPS. The next best thing pricewise is a VA panel with high refresf rate. or go broke and pick an OLED TV.

If you are unhappy with the GW2470H, you shoudl look for calibration and cleartype settings, because this monitor is about as good as it gets for reading: PWM-free, VA panel with. 4x more contrast than IPS. The next best thing pricewise is a VA panel with high refresf rate. or go broke and pick an OLED TV.

I'm really happy with my monitor GW2470H, I'm just making sure I have all my ducks lined up for the best experience.

I've been playing around this this Darn Samsung that had oodles of positive reviews my eye have been straining all day.
I adjusted the height by using a book turned down the Brightness and Contrast to very low levels at one point at had it at 10 Brightness and 5 Contrast
plus lowering it in Nvidia control panel on top of it.

I figured it out finally...

It was the Damn Sharpness was too high which was defaulted at 60%
So I lowered it to 27% still look good I guess the pixels were just playing with my eyes to the point where everything on the screen was catching my eyes and brain at the same time.
I feel alot better since lowering that and here I thought this monitor being flicker free would solve everything in a Heartbeat. I'll tell you Monitors haven't come very far in the past 5 years. Except gaming wise with faster refresh rates and G-Sync everything and higher Rezes it's basically the same.

Back