My dual loop Lian Li PC-70 watercooling worklog.. lots of pics

F

fallguy

Ok, this has taken me about 4 months, and several hardware changes. I started out with a IC7 MAX3+3.0c and a 9800XT, then went to a 2.8E. Then changed completly to a Chaintech VNF-250 and a A64 3400+. Then to a MSI K8N Neo Plat. Then went to a X800 Pro, and finally a 6800 GT. As you can see, I show no bias in hardware. :) Ive posted the first dozen or so pics before, about 4 months ago, Im going to post them again to get all the pics in one thread.

And away we goooooo!

1.JPG

3.JPG

Stock buttons on my PC-70.

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

Bulgin vandal switches. You can see a slight ding where the drill got away from me. I am going to flatten that out with a pin hammer, you shouldnt be able to see it. The switches glow, blue on top for power, red for HD activity.

17.jpg

18.JPG

Radiator being cut out, and finished product.

21.JPG

22.JPG

23.JPG

24.JPG

Res hole marked, being cut out, and smoothing the edges. MUCH better than a puny dremel. :)

27.JPG

Pump placement.

35.JPG

Radiator with the cover off. I had to remove the rivets because I had to use bolts, not just screws with these fans.

38.JPG

71.JPG

72.JPG

66.JPG

You can see the "fountain" spout working, see the ripples? Its hard to capture in a still image, in motion its pretty neat.

89.JPG

92.JPG

93.JPG

94.JPG

95.JPG

--

96.JPG

97.JPG

98.JPG

99.JPG

100.JPG

101.JPG

104.JPG

Ok, thats enough with the old pics, here are the new ones. I added one piece at a time, first was the lower heatercore. Then the pump, and then the res. Over the span of months I added the parts in, leaving them just there, urging me to finish... I REALLY wanted a Aqua HD block to finish it off, but just didnt get it. So Ive added a Lian Li HD cooler for the time being. I will get that HD block yet, in due time. I have many more pics of the inbetween stuff, but Ill just skip to the finished product.

My Innovatek 6800 block, inside and out.

1.JPG

2.JPG

9.JPG

Was VERY close fitting. Actually had to trim the chipset block a little... not something I wanted to do.

NB1.JPG

As you can see, even the stock heatsink was tight. I actually had to cut off two fins from the heatsink to fit.

The Lian Li HD cooler.

154.JPG

Then opened up a little to give some more flow.

155.JPG

156.JPG

157.JPG

You can see the shroud I made for the PSU, and top radiator in that pic.

158.JPG

Closer up pic of the PSU shroud. Points the air downwards, and away from the shroud for the radiator just above it.

159.JPG

160.JPG

161.JPG

162.JPG

163.JPG

164.JPG

Ran the mobo and USB wires from the back. Keeps them from coming across the front of the mobo on the bottom of the case.

165.JPG

166.JPG

Forgot to turn Macro off on the camera.. pics are a bit blurry. :(

167.JPG

169.JPG

170.JPG

171.JPG

168.JPG

172.JPG

174.jpg

175.jpg

176.jpg

177.JPG

Ok, so thats it. Let me give you some specs.

MSI K8N Neo Platnium
A64 3400+
PC Power&Cooling 510 ATX Deluxe
2x512 HyperX PC4000
BFG 6800 GT OC
SB Audigy 2 ZS
36gig Raptor
Sony 8x DVD-ROM
Sony DRU530A Dual format DVD burner

For the watercooling I am using

Innovatek dual Rad
Innovatek 6800 GPU+ram block
Swiftech MCP600 Pump x2
Aqua Computer Res x2
Aqua Computer CPU block
Aqua Computer chipset block
D-tek 120JR Heatercore
Tygon 3/8" tubing

I have pushed the 3400+ to 2.6gig so far, for a 400Mhz overclock. The stepping on the CPU isnt that good, and thats about as far as I can push it. I run it normally at 2.55gig, just a tick under as far as I can, and its stable at that speed. The temp for it shows around 35c idle, and low 40's for load. Not so sure how accurate it is, because on my Chaintech board, with the exact same setup, it read it at 30c idle, and 37c load. Who knows.

My 6800GT load temps dropped over 25c, which is pretty good. I havent tested how far I can push it since I put the block on it. Before it topped out around 425Mhz core, and 1150Mhz mem.

Things I want to change are, the fan controller. I dont really like the one I have, and want the one with the switches and leds in a Lian Li panel. Ive had it before, and it would just match better. I would really like the Aqua version though.. so nice. I also want to get their HD block eventually.

I wish I had gotten the Aqua dual radiator, but snt was sold out.. but got more in the day after I ordered the Innovatek one. If only I had asked. :( I must give many thanks to Dan at snt for helping me thru the transition. When changing from P4 to A64, he didnt hesitate to swap out the parts I need for the CPU and Chipset to make it happen. All other places Ive delt with have a no money/trade deal on watercooling parts, but he went the extra effort. Just very pleasent to deal with.

**Disclaimer**
I didnt want 1/2", I wanted 3/8" and Aqua Computer. I think they are top quality, and look great, and it is what I wanted. If I wanted more cooling, I would have kept my Mach II. So if you want to debate if 1/2" is better than 3/8", and how Im a moron for not going that route, please do it elsewhere. :)

great work but that'd be waaaaay too much plumbing for me.

I could see myself having water all over the place with the way my luck has always been. :(

Really top notch work there!

I have been using the Innovatek Dual Rad now for over a year and I love it. Im using 4 120mm fans on mine (two on front and two on back) and my temps never get above 36c under full load. Its great. Great setup again man.

phas3d

ive always loved your work. everything looks really clean. wasnt this worklog also at ocforums?

The first part is, I havent updated it in months. I updated is as I went for a while, but just let it go finally.

Only things i could see being left to do with this are an aquero the sensors for it and a window possiably... Its very nice

How are the temps ?

Goodjob fallguy, its by far the best looking system i've seen in awhile and the thing is i didn't really like it when people put the reserveroirs in the 3.5" bays but it just looks amazing on your case!! Greatjob

Davey said:
Only things i could see being left to do with this are an aquero the sensors for it and a window possiably... Its very nice

How are the temps ?

Goodjob fallguy, its by far the best looking system i've seen in awhile and the thing is i didn't really like it when people put the reserveroirs in the 3.5" bays but it just looks amazing on your case!! Greatjob

Yeah, I want the Aquaero, but its $200. I want the ATi HDTV tuner more right now. :) I might put a window in, but Ill buy a seperate panel for it, and do some kind of design. Probably something to do with T:V, Im not the best with the dremel though...

Temps are in the last post with pics.

that's some fantastic work. truly top notch. I too have fallen in love with Aqua's gear. I don't think there's a company out there producing products that look as nice when installed. I couldn't determine flow path from pictures. Could you comment on the way your circuit(s) are laid out?

Also gotta agree with the general consensus. The aquaero is the end all be all of fan controllers in my book. I've yet to read a real review of them though. If anybody can point me at one I'd appreciate it.

Finally, I really like the way the box is incorporated into your workspace, but I'm a fan of smaller equipment. Any chance you've considered a slimmed down mkII in a smaller cabinet? Hell I might build one. Definitely single loop but the look you've put together is just too damn good.

excellent work.

Looks great. I really like the Res taking up the 3.5" bays.

Oh I want an Aquaero badly, but right now I just want ATi's HDTV tuner more. :) The new shows are about to start, and Im a huge CSI, and L&O fan. There are three CSI shows on now.. Vegas, Miami, and NY, plus three different L&O shows per week... Also like Crossing Jordan. Most of which are in HDTV. The old VCR isnt going to cut it anymore.

So for now, Im getting the tuner. Then I will eventually get the Aquaero and the Aqua block. It may take several months, but thats ok with me. Because there are many good games coming out as well, and thats what the PC is for, afterall. :)

Fallguy, the ATI HD tuner has been having alot of issues so I would say to stay away from it right now. A better card would be a Dvico Fusion 3 QAM version.

ATI's only grabs off-the-air broadcasts and can't do cable I think? Dunno, I had an old TV Wonder and it was great while I lived in a dorm but I've given up lately on using my PC as an HTPC (mostly 'cuz it's in my room and my TV is in the living room, I don't wanna build another one so I just got a TiVo/DVD-R :p).

Bitchin' mod tho, looks really awesome, the temps are pretty sweet too considering you're water-cooling the vid card and mobo chipset as well.

P.S. Does Lian-Li sell that 3.5" drive cage I see in your pics, sepparately I mean? The one with the rubber grommets that's sitting in the 5.25" bays.

Good work. I'd recommend some casters, since it must be pretty hefty with that much water/copper/alum.

ATI's only grabs off-the-air broadcasts and can't do cable I think?
The HD Wonder only tunes OTA signals for HD but it can do analog too like the TV Wonder cards. The Fusion 3 QAM version can tune basic HD channels over cable so no HBO or ESPN.

Very nice piece of engineering there, but you really need a window. That's like dating Pam Anderson but making her wear a pantsuit everyday and keeping her inside the house and never showing her off to anybody. :p

uclajd said:
Very nice piece of engineering there, but you really need a window. That's like dating Pam Anderson but making her wear a pantsuit everyday and keeping her inside the house and never showing her off to anybody. :p

Yeah I might have to agree there. Very nice clean work, though a window to show off some of it would be cool.

Almost brought tears to my eyes fallguy...

I got two words for ya (and a coupla punctuation marks)

AWE SOME !!

Edit: I got one more word for you, WINDOW. Those guys are right, in fact, I bet there's some kinda law against hiding such a thing of beauty. :)

Outstanding work! If only we all had the skills that you posess! That is amazing what you've done with that machine, case, and water cooling! Kudos to you man! :cool:

Ok, ok.. Ill do a window. Ill probably buy another panel, to do it in. Something to do with Tribes:VE probably.

If I wasnt getting that $200 TV tuner next week, I would get the Aquaero.. Ill get it soon enough, and the HD block to boot. :)

the intergration is clean. nice work :)

its really the CPU waterblock that has a mediocre performance... an MC1 or HV2 (HV3 looks like crap) would have been better on the processor...

so can you tell us the path that the water takes?

pump -> gpu -> cpu etc... for example.

LyCoS said:
the intergration is clean. nice work :)

its really the CPU waterblock that has a mediocre performance... an MC1 or HV2 (HV3 looks like crap) would have been better on the processor...

I know the block isnt the best there is. Even Aqua-Computers new block is better, and cheaper, but I didnt want it. If I wanted the best cooling, I would have kept my Mach II. Im willing to give up a few C in temps for the block I like the best.

sativa said:
so can you tell us the path that the water takes?

pump -> gpu -> cpu etc... for example.

First loop is: Radiator>CPU>Chipset>Res>Pump>Radiator.

Second loop is: Radiator>GPU block>Res>Pump>Radiator.

Eventually Im going to add the HD block from Aqua to the second loop, probably after the GPU block.

I love that case dude! So freaking sweet ;) Dual rads w00t! I really like that grill on the top. Those res's are awesome looking. If you put in a window, you should put in a UV light, and UV dye in the water :D

1 word. Sweet!

Any opinions on Aqua Computer's 6800 cooler?

6800_1_500.jpg

They have an optional light-up logo for those with windows.. hehe

6800_2_500.jpg

Awesome. I've never seen a Lian Li case look so greatly done save for that one guy with the 5 HDD's raided together! :)

Back