My Custom Aluminum Desk

Talton

n00b
I had a few people asking questions about my desk and then someone suggested I start a thread. When I started thinking about my move I began to look around at desks online. I knew there was an Ikea opening close enough so I looked there as well. Nothing fit what I was looking for and one day while in Sears I noticed how close workbenches were to what I had in mind.
I started looking for fabricators with a wishlist of material and specs: at least 6' long, 30" high tabletop, solid back for mounting monitors and hiding cables, and simple to break down. The first fabricator said aluminum was out of the question because of price and even what I wanted would start at $1k and go up from there most likely. Then I remembered a guy I had found online (Bruce with SIC Metals) that I wanted to build shelves for me (before Ikea was built). Called him up and he said no problem and would build an 8' desk with matching printer/scanner stand for $700 shipped.
Here is the final schematic he sent me before I sent my deposit:
JohnComputerDesk3.jpg

The final product:
DSCN0863.jpg

In my office:
DSC_1579.jpg

DSC_1573.jpg

DSC_1557.jpg

Feel free to ask any questions.

The desk looks pretty slick, from the pictures it seems you have a computer shelf on the left side. Is this foldable because it looks like the desk is tucked against the wall in the office photo.

Edit: Nice Batman artwork on the wall, where are those from?

Last edited:
talton how long is that desk, looks awesome!!! plus ya where you get that batman artwork

Thanks so much for posting this thread! I take it there's a few reinforcement ribs running underneath the desk surface? Can you post some pics of the underside of the desk?

I totally thought this was a plywood build with a sheet metal skinning due to cost and strength but I guess I was quite wrong!!

what is it coated with? because if not clear coated it will start to turn in short order, better get a tub of mothers polish if its not coated, you'll need it

i like it, but it looks high maintenance

The desk looks pretty slick, from the pictures it seems you have a computer shelf on the left side. Is this foldable because it looks like the desk is tucked against the wall in the office photo.

Edit: Nice Batman artwork on the wall, where are those from?

The shelf could not be used because the only wall in my office that did not have a window was not wide enough to include it.

The Batman artwork is by this guy: http://myworld.ebay.com/mattfox2/ I can't recommend him enough, packaged well and very inexpensive.

Thanks so much for posting this thread! I take it there's a few reinforcement ribs running underneath the desk surface? Can you post some pics of the underside of the desk?

I totally thought this was a plywood build with a sheet metal skinning due to cost and strength but I guess I was quite wrong!!
Yes, there are reinforced ribs underneath the work surface. I can take pics and post them later.

what is it coated with? because if not clear coated it will start to turn in short order, better get a tub of mothers polish if its not coated, you'll need it

i like it, but it looks high maintenance

The fabricator didn't mention that I needed anything to protect it. I believe it is anodized but I could be wrong.

As far as being high maintenance, I just wipe it down with window cleaner occasionally but the satin finish hides most scratches. The best thing about it is I can always get a new sheet of aluminum and screw it in and have a brand new workspace. There is enough of a bevel from the framework to allow for another sheet.

yeah, being anodized will help, i just know what aluminum does over time, it will turn white and start to turn, it looks nice no doubt

If it's anodized, it's good to go.

Not to be a hater, but the plain aluminum looks ugly to me! Stainless steel on the other hand would've looked great.

Great project and I'm glad you like it!

Oh man, that would make a great heatsink with the right case :)

If it's anodized, it's good to go.

Not to be a hater, but the plain aluminum looks ugly to me! Stainless steel on the other hand would've looked great.

Great project and I'm glad you like it!

Stainless steel would have been too heavy. When I get tired of the way it looks, I'm thinking of having it powdercoated. I know it looks plain in the pictures but in person it really does look better.

Looks amazing. Bruce did a great job. Bruce Wayne perhaps?

What did you have there before?
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Awesome desk! Great price on a fully custom, handbuilt piece like that

I got this stainless setup from Ikea and it was around $500 with the extra shelves. Been contemplating geting a solid wook or even Granite! top for it from Room & Boad though...

DSC00130.jpg

this desk is $9k away from being good... pfff

jk cool desk actually looks pretty sharp

Awesome desk. Looks great. Maybe now you can try to find a heater which you can attach to your desk to warm it up. Lol.

Looks cool, but there is no keyboard tray. Not very ergonomic to use your keyboard/mouse on top of a desk.

Small office with plenty of electronics, the metal table is a welcomed cool surface.

looks slick, but it must be really cold using that desk.. or hot, depending on the weather

Does it bends in the middle?

The bend you see in the photo is from wide angle distortion. It is braced pretty well underneath but I'm not against putting a support there if it shows any sagging in the future.

I don't see any mounting points for the monitors. How do your monitors mount on the aluminum wall?

Also, I think you should have gone for this instead
batmanh.jpg

I don't see any mounting points for the monitors. How do your monitors mount on the aluminum wall?

I use the most basic flat mount brackets from Monoprice and a hole saw for the cables. Hopefully by the end of the year I can replace the monitors (tv is fine). I'm currently thinking about a 22/32/22/32 setup.

Wonder how it would look with the top being anodized black or something, and leaving the edging aluminum? Need a piece of steel behind the wall panel so you can use magnets to hold stuff. Would be pretty neat. Or even under the table top for the same reason if needed.

What size are the monitors now? Definitely need them to match when you buy new ones.

Wonder how it would look with the top being anodized black or something, and leaving the edging aluminum? Need a piece of steel behind the wall panel so you can use magnets to hold stuff. Would be pretty neat. Or even under the table top for the same reason if needed.

What size are the monitors now? Definitely need them to match when you buy new ones.

I have thought about powdercoating if the surface gets scratched too bad. The magnetic idea has been tossed about too.

I am keeping the 32" Panasonic (720p) as my tv on the far right. My plans are to get a Panasonic 32" 1080p for my main monitor and use Dell or Hp monitors for the portrait sides.

Very nice, and it didn't even come close to $10k!

...and they said it couldn't be done, pssh!

Where did you get the batmobile blueprints used from batman returns. I have never seen that before done in real print. I must have!

Where did you get the batmobile blueprints used from batman returns. I have never seen that before done in real print. I must have!

That is a canvas I ordered from a seller in the UK off Ebay. I had it shipped rolled up because it was cheaper to have it stretched locally.

Back