My CPU Bottleneck?

haitu

Limp Gawd
im running a e6400 core 2 duo @ 2.13 (stock) and i just got a gtx 280. i was wondering if my cpu is bottlenecking and if i needed to overclock it.

im running a e6400 core 2 duo @ 2.13 (stock) and i just got a gtx 280. i was wondering if my cpu is bottlenecking and if i needed to overclock it.

Yes, it is bottlenecking badly. You should overclock it. Fortunately your CPU can usually overclock like crazy, even with stock air cooling and default voltages. What motherboard do you have?

Yeah. You should invest in a good air cooler like a Xigmatek 1283 or an OCZ Vendetta2. You should be able to get 3.4 out of that chip. You'll see a huge difference!

Even if you hit 3.4 it will barely enough for that video card. Get either Thermalright ultra 120, thermalright true cooper, sunbeam core contact, or Xigmatek 1283. Sunbeam is the best choice unless you use 2 fan push-pull on other fans. And it is $29 after $10 MIR

arlight. i just ordered a xigmatek 1283.

what exact speed is enough for the 280?

another question: lets say i bought a quad 2 core that ran at 2.5, would i than also need to overclock that to 3.4+ or does it get an exception because its quad core?

Even if you hit 3.4 it will barely enough for that video card. Get either Thermalright ultra 120, thermalright true cooper, sunbeam core contact, or Xigmatek 1283. Sunbeam is the best choice unless you use 2 fan push-pull on other fans. And it is $29 after $10 MIR

that's bs, 3.4 is fine for a GTX 280.

another question: lets say i bought a quad 2 core that ran at 2.5, would i than also need to overclock that to 3.4+ or does it get an exception because its quad core?

No exception. Still need to overclock it.

What are you whacked?

3.0GHz is more than needed for the 280 gtx and to play games at max settings.

Op OC the CPU to 3.2GHz, (FSB400x8multy) RAM set 1:1,and you will be golden! :D

What are you whacked?

3ghz is enough, it but the higher cpu frequency the better that graphic card will perform.

What are you whacked?

Im going to have to counter this by saying that my GTX280 sees benefit when I OCd(more) my E7200 from my normal overclock of 3.6ghz to slightly more extreme 3.8ghz.

Im going to have to counter this by saying that my GTX280 sees benefit when I OCd(more) my E7200 from my normal overclock of 3.6ghz to slightly more extreme 3.8ghz.

Thats what i am talking about

+1

For a newbie overclocker he should probably try to get a few hundred at a time while watching temps, as he eases himself into overclocking. Check out the Overclocking forumns

For a newbie overclocker he should probably try to get a few hundred at a time while watching temps, as he eases himself into overclocking. Check out the Overclocking forumns

Exactly. A lot of people who have been overclocking for awhile take it for granted. You can kill your CPU (dead, nada, non-functioning, muerto, etc) if you don't learn what your doing. Remember, they are giving you advise on YOUR machine, there not out the money if it dies.

Having said that I overclock every CPU I own. If you decide to, read up on it. Start slowly and watch your temps. Make sure your power supply is adequate.

What are you whacked?

I would have to disagree. My E6600 @ 3.3GHz was bottlenecking my 8800GTS 512. I'd get 100% CPU usage in Left 4 Dead, and don't even get me started on more CPU intensive games like SupCom. Of course, the bottleneck wasn't very big, but still. Now keep in mind that a GTX280 is at least twice as powerful as a 8800GTS 512...

to the op

i have a stock clock q9300 [2.5ghz]

i played around with it from stock up to an even 3ghz

ive tested a range of video cards with it - from a single 4850 512mb up to the 4870x2

with the x2 i was playing crysis @ 1920x1200 with optimal settings [all high]

3 of my cores were busy, 1 was obviously on vacation...

my total cpu usage was between 50 and 79% - the 3 active working cores never pegged at the top but flexed through a normal working range

im not saying you shouldnt oc your current chip - at this point yes, it is indeed a bottleneck to your 280

but i can say with conviction and proof, that a c2quad at 2.5ghz is not a bottleneck to the highend video cards when playing - crysis or dead space or the two newest cod games

those were the only few i got to test before i had to give the videocards back to their rightful owners :)

I would have to disagree. My E6600 @ 3.3GHz was bottlenecking my 8800GTS 512. I'd get 100% CPU usage in Left 4 Dead, and don't even get me started on more CPU intensive games like SupCom. Of course, the bottleneck wasn't very big, but still. Now keep in mind that a GTX280 is at least twice as powerful as a 8800GTS 512...

there's something to be said for the rest of the system config then - in the system in my sig im no where near a cpu bottleneck in left for dead

granted im running a quad vs your two - but you're pushing 800 more mhz than i am?

odd...

left for dead is another game that uses all 4 cores though - this is in windows beta 7 with a licensed copy of l4d via steam

The fact that you're getting 100% cpu usage in L4D doesn't mean your CPU is bottlenecking anything. It may just be the way the game is coded. For example, I still play Jedi Knight 2 (JediOutcast) and that game says 100% cpu usage even though my AthlonXP 1800 ran it perfectly fine back in the day. I find it hard to believe that an E6600 at 3.3 would bottleneck a GTS 512. Would an E6600 at 3.6 show some improvement with the same card? Yes, a few FPS here and there but nothing monumental.

As for bottlenecks, there will always be bottlenecking of some sort. In order for there not to be any, all elements of hardware communication would have to be on a 1:1 basis. What I mean is that for every instruction that the GPU sends, the CPU is able to process it at the exact same speed. But since GPU's and CPU's vary, one or the other is always lagging behind.

Sometimes I wonder if people understand how quadcores appear to work in double threaded applications.........

You can use core temp, with logging enabled, and just review the log, that is one way.

The fact that you're getting 100% cpu usage in L4D doesn't mean your CPU is bottlenecking anything. It may just be the way the game is coded. For example, I still play Jedi Knight 2 (JediOutcast) and that game says 100% cpu usage even though my AthlonXP 1800 ran it perfectly fine back in the day. I find it hard to believe that an E6600 at 3.3 would bottleneck a GTS 512. Would an E6600 at 3.6 show some improvement with the same card? Yes, a few FPS here and there but nothing monumental.

As for bottlenecks, there will always be bottlenecking of some sort. In order for there not to be any, all elements of hardware communication would have to be on a 1:1 basis. What I mean is that for every instruction that the GPU sends, the CPU is able to process it at the exact same speed. But since GPU's and CPU's vary, one or the other is always lagging behind.

Nah, I would get CPU lag in Left4Dead and SupCom. It wouldn't be anything too terrible, but you could definitely feel it. I use G15 keyboard to monitor CPU/RAM usage.

I also think that 3 Ghz overclock should be enough for the 280 depending on the game and other factors like resolution and AA.

Back