• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

My build any suggestions?

Rouzuki

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 11, 2007
Messages
279
Will start with the basics :)
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Gaming
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
I'd like to stay within the ranges of my current build (cheaper or lets say like $30ish additional bucks per part)
3) Where do you live?
CT, USA
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
I do not need any additional parts than the ones listed below (just edits to those parts)
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
n/a
6) Will you be overclocking?
Either no or very lightly.
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
24" 19k x 10k
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Within 2 months of July 14th
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.
eSATA, Sata3+6, USB 3.0 are nearly mandatory unless I can get a sata6/usb3.0 pci card in there
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If so, what OS? 32bit or 64bit?
64bit Win7 Pro


Here is my build so far (not bought yet)
CPU: i7-930 ($200)
MOBO: Apparently I am silly and picked an incompatible mobo, so please any 150 dollarish i7-930 compat mobo suggestions would be appreciated($150)
Video: EVGA GTX 460 1GB or Radeon HD5830 (just 1 of either, I'm not sure which is best?) ($200)
PSU: 550w Corsair modular (reused, not too concerned about this part if my system needs more juice)
RAM: DDR3 1600 (insert reputable manufacturer here) 4GB for $60-80 or perhaps 6GB for $100-120
Case: Antec 902 - ($80)

The links are more for spec comparing/viewing, the prices I list may not not be what the link prices are but I will get them at or below the prices I have listed (in brand new condition) so just go off that price standpoint.
I guess if anyone can suggest a part such as a case that performs equally well at a better price or just works better in general with the rest of the build that would be quite helpful :)
 
Last edited:
Rouzuki,

I agree with lt_shiro. The CPU and motherboard are both physically incompatible with one another, which means than the CPU will not even fit the socket at all.

Also, no WD Raptor hard drive had ever been manufactured in an IDE version. All of them have SATA connectors but the early Raptors used IDE-to-SATA bridge chips and thus cannot take full advantage of modern SATA controllers.
 
You know I thought there was something fishy about the socket business. I thought perhaps for some reason the i7-930 is compat with both (despite knowing that a diff socket # usually means a diff shape/pin cpu if nothing else)

Well I'll change that to the appropriate socketed mobo then.

As far as my Raptor goes, I'm 100% sure it uses an IDE (or I guess PATA right?) connection and not a SATA. But I'm going on memory with this as I have not been home where my desktop is in over a year and a half. Perhaps its not a raptor but some other 10k RPM drive.

Or perhaps I'm just going crazy from being away from my desktop for so long. I just thought I remembered having a 10k RPM PATA drive with about 70ish GBs on it. I guess it must be SATA after all. In which case I can totally nix getting a board with a PATA interface so if nothing else hurray for that bit of knowledge.
 
Last edited:
You know I thought there was something fishy about the socket business. I thought perhaps for some reason the i7-930 is compat with both (despite knowing that a diff socket # usually means a diff shape/pin cpu if nothing else)

Well I'll change that to the appropriate socketed mobo then.

As far as my Raptor goes, I'm 100% sure it uses an IDE (or I guess PATA right?) connection and not a SATA. But I'm going on memory with this as I have not been home where my desktop is in over a year and a half. Perhaps its not a raptor but some other 10k RPM drive.

Or perhaps I'm just going crazy from being away from my desktop for so long. I just thought I remembered having a 10k RPM PATA drive with about 70ish GBs on it. I guess it must be SATA after all. In which case I can totally nix getting a board with a PATA interface so if nothing else hurray for that bit of knowledge.

You must be going delusional from being away from the innards of a desktop for so long. IIRC there has never been a 10k RPM hard drive with a PATA interface. The fastest-RPMs of hard drives that were ever released in PATA have been only 7.2k RPM.
 
You must be going delusional from being away from the innards of a desktop for so long. IIRC there has never been a 10k RPM hard drive with a PATA interface. The fastest-RPMs of hard drives that were ever released in PATA have been only 7.2k RPM.

I agree.. I Had the 1st generation raptor & it was only avail in sata 1.
 
GPU wise, your best bet is the GTX 460 at $200.

Case wise, ditch the Antec 902 and go with this roomier and equally cooling case for the same price:
$70 - Cooler Master CM690 II ATX Case

RAM wise, you can make do with 4GB of RAM with a X58 setup but not exactly the optimal. Some RAM recommendations:
$82 - G.Skill F3-10600CL9D-4GBNT 2 x 2GB DDR3 1333 RAM
$135 - G.Skill F3-10666CL9T-6GBNQ 3 x 2GB DDR3 1333 RAM

Mobo wise, this is probably the cheapest X58 mobo that I would use in a system:
$170 - MSI X58M Intel X58 mATX Motherboard

However your SATA 6Gb/s and USB 3.0 requirements pretty much means that this the cheapest but still good quality mobo that you can get:
$210 - Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Intel X58 ATX Motherboard
 
Back
Top