My Basement Datacenter.......... Kinda :p

sovs said:
yea still a lot of space in that rack
heh, that's the point my friend;)

Icidic said:
I hope not, that'd be awefully slow and painful with 15 Virtual PCs - when they're all using the network...

Well, 15 was a steep estimate:p . In actual reality its probably going to be around 6-8 or so running constantly. My only bottleneck is my RAM, and that's not even that bad as long as you tune things properly. Also, the NICs are gigabit(pretty much spot on for my needs) and if I really wanted to beef things up, (hint hint: its going to happen:D ) idd get a nice managed gigabit switch and run an etherchannel w/ NIC teaming on the ESX box.

cleric_retribution said:
ps, what happened to all the cisco stuff? sold?
Nah, still there until im finished with the IE.

I have run GSX on top of Windows 2003 server with 2-3 VM's running at the same time (2 of which would be other Windows 2003 servers), with only 2GB of RAM. The windows VM's were a bit slow, since I statically allocated them 512MB of RAM.

I would imagine that ESX would be better since it runs as the OS (instead of on top of another OS), and should be able to handle memory better.

Right, the dynamic resource allocation for ESX is incredible. I have, right now, 6 machines running(haven't gotten a chance to really open up on her yet;) )

3x Win2k3 Server R2 boxes @ 768Mb
1x Asterisk @ 256
2x Fedora boxes @ 512Mb

even though i'm almost at my max, I can absolutely over allocate because of the memory ballooning.

Now you guys may be wondering why the hell I havne't even thouched this machine until today really, well....... this is why..

DSC_0066.jpg

and that's not even all of the labs im doing/have done. Like I said before, BSCI test... scheduled for next friday. Im doing well more than what's required for the BSCI but hey.... Im not stopping till the IE. Ugh..... time to get back to studying....

PS. I would like to publicly retract any bashing I have done regarding dynamips, on a VM with dual v-procs and with *correct* idlepc values set.... its an amazing tool for labbing. I used to recommend hardware to everyone that asked(because 99% of simulators are complete shit) but Dynamips is def a great tool. I guess that's what you get when you used to use it when it first came out and then never really touched it again:p

Gotta Love CCNP....

I take my 821 in a few weeks. I'm pretty sure I'm ready for 801, but I'll take baby steps.

The way I have my lab setup in the basement, I don't know why I didn't ever think of putting a white board in my basement. I have and use one at work.....geeezzz...

What's your take on the IS-IS protocol? Is it really used in the real world?

Gotta Love CCNP....

I take my 821 in a few weeks. I'm pretty sure I'm ready for 801, but I'll take baby steps.

The way I have my lab setup in the basement, I don't know why I didn't ever think of putting a white board in my basement. I have and use one at work.....geeezzz...

What's your take on the IS-IS protocol? Is it really used in the real world?

You taking the 640-801(CCNA) or did you mean the 642-901(BSCI)?

My take on the IS-IS protocol is this, its kind of a grandfather routing protocol so im going to respect it(hell it was developed before IP was large!). I think that its very scalable and much faster than any other routing protocols(yes, even OSPF), so its got my best convergence vote. The simplicity of the protocol is the most appealing, though CLNS can be a bit confusing if you're only used to IP(which I was) but once you get it down its like subnetting... second nature.

Is it used in the real word? hmmmm....I never worked for an ISP and I would assume that this would be a prime place where you would find it deployed or perhaps some large network in the commercial market..Im still wondering one thing though, whenever I used to call up an ISP and report a down T1/T3 line they would refer to the line as a circuit(hence the circuit ID) and IS-IS is the only routing protocol I know of that calls interfaces circuits. This makes me wonder, maybe some of the ISPs I have worked with are deploying IS-IS on the edge, if not its OSPF.

PS. Guys, the white board was like 30 bucks at staples.... get one... hahaha

My take on the IS-IS protocol is this, its kind of a grandfather routing protocol so im going to respect it(hell it was developed before IP was large!). I think that its very scalable and much faster than any other routing protocols(yes, even OSPF), so its got my best convergence vote. The simplicity of the protocol is the most appealing, though CLNS can be a bit confusing if you're only used to IP(which I was) but once you get it down its like subnetting... second nature.

Is it used in the real word? hmmmm....I never worked for an ISP and I would assume that this would be a prime place where you would find it deployed or perhaps some large network in the commercial market..Im still wondering one thing though, whenever I used to call up an ISP and report a down T1/T3 line they would refer to the line as a circuit(hence the circuit ID) and IS-IS is the only routing protocol I know of that calls interfaces circuits. This makes me wonder, maybe some of the ISPs I have worked with are deploying IS-IS on the edge, if not its OSPF.

Nah, you're much further ahead of me. I'm only on the 640-801(821). That's interesting that you say that about the circuit ID's. I always thought the Circuit ID was their way of identifying us for billing purposes. I'll have to play around IS-IS a little. RIP is so damn chatty and OSPF does take "some, even though it's minimal" time to converge.

Thanks for the heads up.

There are different types of "circuits" depending on what you are using it for. In a phone network they call things circuits because your copper/fiber traffic goes between 2 points. A switched circuit is a POTS line or ISDN, something that goes through a phone switch. Dedicated Circuits, private lines or leased lines are dedicated point to point connections. Circuit ID's give all sorts of information, varies by company but usually it tells you the ratecenter, cable pair, bundle, cable type and all sorts of other information.

There are different types of "circuits" depending on what you are using it for. In a phone network they call things circuits because your copper/fiber traffic goes between 2 points. A switched circuit is a POTS line or ISDN, something that goes through a phone switch. Dedicated Circuits, private lines or leased lines are dedicated point to point connections. Circuit ID's give all sorts of information, varies by company but usually it tells you the ratecenter, cable pair, bundle, cable type and all sorts of other information.

Right, I didn't even consider the naming convention referred to the fact that the line was either a PVC or SVC, good point though. I thought that perhaps they brought the naming convention up one more level and for clarities sake referred to the interfaces on their edge routers as circuits, then correlated that with ISIS being the only routing protocol that refers to the physical interface as a circuit.:p

I wish I had the money to add on to my lab. I'm still in the process of putting mine back together and moving things around since I now have my house to myself.

Ok, I finally have to ask, how'd you get ESX? Did you have to pay for it? I need to be able to build a virtual linux machine with networking support (test webserver), and Virtual Server won't play nice with linux.

Oh, and that's a nice setup man!

Hey xphil3, nice setup and smart idea on going virtualization to keep the power bill low, but my question is are you up in Northern Jersey or Southern Jersey?

Ok, I finally have to ask, how'd you get ESX? Did you have to pay for it? I need to be able to build a virtual linux machine with networking support (test webserver), and Virtual Server won't play nice with linux.

Oh, and that's a nice setup man!
I acquired my license for testing purposes through a licensed reseller( i can pretty much do what I like with it). If you want a linux box with virtualization you should check into Xen which I think is hardware hypervisor based virtualization vs. paravirtualization. If you want to stick with para-based you can always use Virtual Box, I know quite a bit of people that like it. If you are set on running ESX, call them up... tell them that you work for a large company that is looking into providing virtualization solutions for your customers and that you need a full license to try out their software(this actually goes for every company that requires licensing). I cant even beging to tell you how many companies will GIVE away their software when you give that exact line and im not talking eval stuff(microsoft, adobe, etc, etc). Thanks for the compliment

Sparkyy said:
Hey xphil3, nice setup and smart idea on going virtualization to keep the power bill low, but my question is are you up in Northern Jersey or Southern Jersey?
Thanks. I consider where Im from the be Central Jersey, though some say that doesn't exist:p Near exit 81

Thanks. I consider where Im from the be Central Jersey, though some say that doesn't exist:p Near exit 81

Ha ha, exit 81 of the parkway? Wow to me that is Southern Jersey :p Since you're pretty much past all the shores. :rolleyes:

Ha ha, exit 81 of the parkway? Wow to me that is Southern Jersey :p Since you're pretty much past all the shores. :rolleyes:

hahahah, shores.... you benny! Ill probably head up to north jersey myself though when I get back from RTP.

I liked in Warwick. Went to school at NEIT.

Why is it so hard to understand why my parents are letting me do this, computers don't suck up that much electricity :( . My friend and I tested 12 computers and all my networking geat running for a solid month in RI and the electric bill went up 120 bucks(and this was in the summer with the AC). Ill let everyone know how much electric is up here when I do see the first electric bill. But anyway, my parents know I use it for education and probably expect me to buy them a lexus or something down the road sometime :p

btw ubergeek: I see that you work in best buy. Is this the one in west warwick? If so do you remember the 5 or so kids that came in with flyers for free RAM around a year or so ago and your *bitch* manager tryed to kick them out and they still got the RAM by calling corporate.... lol.... good times, good times. ;)

yay for off topic but i went to NEIT! too.... when i lived in RI :(

i miss RI... i live in crappy florida now

How can you even suggest RI over florida? That is a statement I thought I would never hear in my lifetime.

Texas Here BTW.

i mean expensive is fbdimm
just that
well. like I said they are fully buffered and they *were* expensive a year ago. a 2GB module is only 75 bucks now :D. So when I max this out its going to be at 12GB, which isn't too bad... by that time I will probably have added another host to the cluster and use vmotion.

Back