My AVADirect Experience

I have been a long time reader of this forum and I find the information provided on this website to be highly beneficial and informative. This is my first post and I feel that is now my obligation to provide my experience with AVADirect to help others.
I purchased my computer from AVADirect in August and received the computer in late August. The computer was speced as follows.
INTEL, Core™ 2 Quad Q9450, XIGMATEK HDT-S1283, ARCTIC COOLING MX-2 for heatsink, ASUS P5Q Deluxe, G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) PC2-6400 DDR2 800MHz CL4 (4-4-4-12), VISIONTEK, Radeon® HD 4870, CREATIVE, Sound Blaster® X-Fi XtremeGamer, WD6400AAKS x2, THERMALTAKE Toughpower 80 PLUS® 750W, Vista 64.

The ordering process was pretty smooth and took about 1 month to receive the system. I was in contact with Misha several times during the build and he was prompt to respond to emails. The one hiccup during the ordering process was the incompatiblity of the wireless card I had ordered with Vista 64. To reduce the wait for my system I decided to delete the card from my build.

When I received the computer it was well packed in a double box and the internals were held in place by pieces of styrofoam during shipping. The wiring and internals were very well done and I was honestly pretty impressed by the system.
I started having problems with the system in the middle of November when the computer started to crash in games, then crashed during normal use such as internet then wouldn't boot to windows at all. The problem seemed to remedy itself when I reinstalled the OS but the problem continued to occur several times, only working for several days at a time. I thought the problem was the harddrive so I installed the OS on the other drive with similar results. To make a long story short I ended up RMAing one of the drives to see if I had 2 defective ones and continued to have problems. With after semester break I finally decided I needed to contact technical support. I first contacted technical support around January 25. I eventually talked with Chris Mundy over the phone who suggested I try each stick of ram in the first DIMM slot by themselves and call him back. I never received a call back and continued to try to get a hold of him over the phone but never did talk to him. Eventually over e-mail he suggested I send the videocard in for RMA. I sent the video card back to AVADirect on February 6th. I continually asked when my card could be expected to be shipped back to me. On February 26th I received this message from Chris Mundy

"David, We are not the manufacture of the card we are only the system builder and we do not stock parts unfortunately. We also do not have any control over how long it takes the manufacture to replace a defective item. We are waiting for the replacement item to return. I apologize for the delay and thank you for your cooperation and patience."
After still not receiving any notification that they had shipped my card out, I sent this e-mail to the company on March 6.
Am writing to inform you of the course of action I will be taking based on the unsatisfactory level of technical support I have received to fix my computer. Starting this weekend I will be starting a detailed thread on [H]ardforum documenting my experiences and opinions of the purchase, ownership, and level of support I have received with my purchase from AVADirect. I will keep this thread updated regularly until the problems with my system are fully resolved and to my liking. I will make this thread as balanced as possible and it will not be a rant against AVADirect on my part and I will try to avoid it becoming that by other forum members. I am however very disappointed in my purchase from your company and this will be reflected in this thread. Once my problems have been completely solved I will also be drafting a detailed review on Resellerrating.com to elaborate on my experiences.
I find myself left with few other options then to share my frustrations and experiences with other members of the online community because I have not received satisfactory support from your company. I have had a $2300 computer system that has been non-functional since the middle of November. I tried to resolve these issues myself previously and will not fault your company for the time period the computer was not functioning before I contacted you for service. I did however contact your company for support starting January 27th and it is now more then 1 month later and I am still left with a non-functioning computer. During this time period I was only able to talk on the phone with tech support (Chris Mundy) very briefly one time despite several attempts to get someone to talk to. Very minimal and vague directions were given on how to solve the problem and if I didn’t know something about the internals of a computer I would have been completely lost with the guidance provided. A large reason I went with your company is because of the positive reviews you have received for the accessibility of your technical support after having issues with Dell in the past. But I will say that when a problem with a Dell occurred in the past, it was always resolved within 1 week or less and I never had to wait over a month to receive a simple replacement part.
This very expensive computer I purchased from you should have been impeccable but I understand when hardware failures occur. As the system builder and the people from who I purchased the computer from however, the functioning of my computer ultimately resides with you and blame can not simply be shifted to other parties, ie the manufacturer. It is your responsibility to make your customers happy and provide the service that they paid for. The computer you built for me has been so unreliable and has now been without a video card for 1 month, I was forced to buy a laptop because I can not go without a computer for my work at college for so long. This is money I should never have had to spend.
I have been as patient as possible with your support towards the resolution of this problem, but at this point I have felt like I have been done a disservice by your company. I wish this letter to be seen by a manager at your company and I expect an equal or better video card to the one that was sent out for RMA to be at my residence in one week. I will be posting updates for this problem on [H]ardforum under Porsche997RS as stated earlier.

This email elicited a prompt response and they eventually sent me an EVGA GTX260 216 SC as a replacement card as I had requested. I received this card on March 10 and installed it the same day. The computer had been running fine for several days but again today crashed and will not boot to windows. This is the e-mail I sent to AVADirect tonight.

"I am writing regretfully to inform you that my computer has again stopped working after working properly for about 4 days. While playing a game the computer again froze and then would not post or boot to windows on restart after multiple attempts. The BIOS is set to default except for the manufacturer's rated timings and voltages for the ram (4-4-4-12 at 2.1V). At this point I am left with no choice but to ask for a refund on this computer. I have had a non-functioning computer for 4 and 1/2 months, a month and 1/2 which has been under your technical support. I have invested countless time and additional personal money on this system that continues to disappoint me and I can not see a resolution for the problem in any reasonable time frame. I had hoped to not have to post on [H]ardforum but at this point I feel I need to inform other consumers about my experience with AVADirect. Please bring this to the attention of Misha and I hope for a prompt resolution and refund on this system so I can spend my money on a system that will actually function. The resolution you choose to pursue will be noted in my thread on [H]ardforum. Thank you."

I currently don't know what else to do but I felt I needed to share my experiences with others who are debating the difficult decision about where to buy their computer from. I understand when problems go wrong with a computer but it's how a company responds to these problems is that shows their real dedication to the customer. I took a lot of time with this post so I hope it was informative and I will post and update with the companies response tomorrow.

I had thought they might be improving since their ratings were starting to go up for a while,but your experience is unfortunately not an isolated incident,since they're starting to drop once more.My overall impression is that if a system works the first time around they're great,but if a problem develops that can't be solved with a quick fix,it turns into a long nightmare.It seems their support is severely lacking,and judging by some past statements and actions by their techs their actual expertise in working on systems is poor as well.

I don't understand them, you'd think a company that big would just give him his money back after troubleshooting the crap out of his PC for god knows how long.

If it was me id spend the extra and just build one at Puget, im not a fanboy but ive dealt with them before and i didn't get any negative vibes at all. It just goes to show that the cheapest or biggest company is not always the best :D

Good luck, but I highy doubt you being the 100th person to drag them through the mud around here is much of a threat.

If you want some advice, the next time you want a home-made computer, do it yourself or buy a computer from the likes of HP, Dell, Lenovo, etc.

Go for a refund as they clearly have not tried to troubleshoot properly and have neglected you.
They do not deserve the cash you paid them.

Go for a refund as they clearly have not tried to troubleshoot properly and have neglected you.
They do not deserve the cash you paid them.

+10!

When I have some time, I'll throw my $ 2249.19 regret in here.

LOl you WILL NOT get a refund... Your money is GONE... Unfortunately you most likely wont get a working computer now either..... The dont like it when you post negative about them. Actually posting this as a review on resellerratings.com might get you somewhere as they actually do respond there since they are required under the program they are in to respond.

Wow this sucks to hear. Was hoping that AVA was actually trying to turn their image around, but as Kodan says you most likely won't get your money back. But you never know....they actually came through for another person here lately...maybe they'll come through for you as well. Doubt it though...but good luck anyway man.

Just to provide an update Chris Mundy got back to me and they said they usually don't do this but they are going to give me a refund minus a 15% restocking fee and shipping (both ways) once they get the system back and disassembled. I wasn't thrilled about loosing over $400 from this transaction for a computer that gave me this many problems but at this point I don't want to deal with this computer or company anymore and I definitely feel I need to cut my looses. I have the computer and all the software and cables boxed up and ready to return tomorrow. I will keep you guys informed about how the refund process goes.
Dave

You know what really burns me up about the AVA thing and all the crap they have pulled... Is after all this time Resellerratings.com has done NOTHING to them... In fact their fabricated review is STILL up on resellerratings.com... To me thats worse than AVA being crap is a company thats supposed to be a review/consumer advocasy and protection site isnt doing anything to deal with it.... Not like I didnt provide them with numerous emails proving AVA was being shady....

Guess its more important to have AVA paying for their services than it is to be a consumer protector and advocate.

I find it funny that new members pop up right in the middle of a hate thread, defending the company that's being ripped apart, then to a month later post their positive experience with said company.

I can tell you right now if there was a 20 pg thread about how shitty some company is, I wouldn't go out and buy a PC or part from them just to test for myself. Wouldn't be worth the risk considering how many reputable companies there are.

HOLY shit someone call an ambulance I think I just had a heart attack(joking).... :D Someone got a refund from AVA... Satan must be wondering where the hell the blizzard came from.

At least you got a refund.

Didn't that last incident involve someone's games crashing, and then internet, and then the whole computer? And AVA also recommended replacing the video card and/or RAM?

Holy crap another AVA thread...sorry about your experience...but I've seen other members on here posting the same dissatisfaction....

but they are going to give me a refund minus a 15% restocking fee and shipping (both ways) once they get the system back and disassembled. I wasn't thrilled about loosing over $400 from this transaction for a computer that gave me this many problems but at this point I don't want to deal with this computer or company anymore and I definitely feel I need to cut my looses.

I feel bad for you Dave of not only the scenario you described in your first post, but the fact of losing out of $400 or so due to them not refunding you completely.

Think we understand your feeling of not wanting to deal with the computer or company anymore. We have had members in a bad predicament of horrible situations with the company.

Dave, do hope you go with another company now or even buy the parts via Newegg or another site and maybe DIY.

HOLY shit someone call an ambulance I think I just had a heart attack(joking).... :D Someone got a refund from AVA... Satan must be wondering where the hell the blizzard came from.

Some refund,how can they charge a $400 restocking fee for a system supposedly under warranty that's clearly defective? If that's not fraud,I don't know what is.AVA has officially degenerated into another Monarch.

wow have the times changed, they used to be regarded as one of the best out there.

wow have the times changed, they used to be regarded as one of the best out there.
Agreed.

Down to recession and downtrodden/over worked/underqualified (cheaper) staff sadly.
But if that is the result, they will suffer even worse.
Someone does not have their eye on the ball or isnt making enough effort at AVA.
Now more than ever extra effort is needed, not the other way round.

It takes an effing long time to build a decent reputation.
They are fools for treating it with such contempt.

Some refund,how can they charge a $400 restocking fee for a system supposedly under warranty that's clearly defective? If that's not fraud,I don't know what is.AVA has officially degenerated into another Monarch.

And what do you want to bet that at least some of those parts might make their way into someone elses "new" computer.

LOL restocking fee my ass. Yeah, restock right into some other poor, unexpecting bastards machine.

Restock what, exactly? They don't stock parts, or I suppose he meant they don't stock new and working parts.

I bet most of the AVA guys are smart enough to not buy from AVA.... Bet they all have Dells.

Just updating my thread with another e-mail I just sent to AVADirect
"I just shipped out my computer with all manuals and software as stated in your previous e-mail through UPS. The price for this came out to $207. I don't feel that it is fair for me to have to incur the full amount for these charges. I have already incurred $400 in fees I will not get back from you for a computer that was fully operational for less than half the time I had it and was unable to be fixed by your company. I will continue to update my thread on [H]ardforum with your resolution and decisions about my order. I look forward to a reasonable decision on this matter."
We'll see what they come back with and I'll let you guys know.
Dave

And what do you want to bet that at least some of those parts might make their way into someone elses "new" computer.

LOL restocking fee my ass. Yeah, restock right into some other poor, unexpecting bastards machine.

Couldn't have been said any better.

I'm actually surprised that they still have the award link to this site on the main page...surely they know that people are going to click on that and have the common sense to look around these forums.... Or maybe they just could care less enough to not bother taking it off.

On February 26th I received this message from Chris Mundy

"David, We are not the manufacture of the card we are only the system builder and we do not stock parts unfortunately. We also do not have any control over how long it takes the manufacture to replace a defective item.
What kind of a joke of a manufacturer doesn't stock spare parts? Oh, I guess this thread demonstrates it...

Im curious, is there a benefit to getting a rig made for you at a mark up from what you could build it for? It has never crossed my mind to buy a pc in a box because of the mark up.. and now because of the service.

They don't stock parts because they could easily lose money on unused components, and parts are constantly being updated and replaced. Most of the custom system builders don't stock much. The OP said it took about a month to receive his machine.

Update:
Still haven't received any information back from the e-mail I sent yesterday about refunding my $207 shipping charge. I've noticed when dealing with AVADirect that they usually e-mail me back within one hour of sending out an e-mail but they have blown my e-mails off a few times. I'm just hoping to get my refund from them fairly quickly so I can spend my money on a functioning system. UPS said they should receive my computer on Thursday so it hopefully won't be to long after that. One thing that still is amazing to me is that I've only talked to the company on the phone one time the whole time during this process. You would think if someone was having so many problems with their machine at least a quick call from customer or techincal support could more easily resolve problems than a constant string of e-mails. Thanks for your guys options and I will continue with the updates until I receive satisfaction with the resolution from AVA.
Dave

You would think they'd take care of you from the beginning. Since that's out the window, you can't expect anything now.

An aside: it's threads like these that have directly and negatively impacted my view of AVA Direct. Where I had once intended to buy my next, somewhat modest computer from them, now I'm looking at more expensive and reliable boutiques.

Update:
Still haven't received any information back from the e-mail I sent yesterday about refunding my $207 shipping charge. I've noticed when dealing with AVADirect that they usually e-mail me back within one hour of sending out an e-mail but they have blown my e-mails off a few times. I'm just hoping to get my refund from them fairly quickly so I can spend my money on a functioning system. UPS said they should receive my computer on Thursday so it hopefully won't be to long after that. One thing that still is amazing to me is that I've only talked to the company on the phone one time the whole time during this process. You would think if someone was having so many problems with their machine at least a quick call from customer or techincal support could more easily resolve problems than a constant string of e-mails. Thanks for your guys options and I will continue with the updates until I receive satisfaction with the resolution from AVA.
Dave

How sad to the bolded. Would say hope all goes well, but that looks slim. :(

An aside: it's threads like these that have directly and negatively impacted my view of AVA Direct. Where I had once intended to buy my next, somewhat modest computer from them, now I'm looking at more expensive and reliable boutiques.

I like these three companies,

Maingear - http://www.maingear.com

Puget - http://www.pugetsystems.com

Soildwave - http://www.mysolidwavepc.com/

Boy.
A number of people have just been shit on by this company.
Sad thing is.......this was not a complicated build, and was based on a pretty solid mainboard.

You'd think AVA would have been all over this to help fix it and restore this guy's confidence.

AVA has really fallen from grace.

wow, dont even remember making this post but it turns out it was agains the rules, sorry folks :)

Last edited:
Back