My analogy if will...

Vaulter98c

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - October 2009
2FA
Joined
May 21, 2008
Messages
5,840
In the light of Tobit's recent anouncement, I feel the need to post this here. Now, it may seem out of context but the thread it was going to be in was closed. Anyways, don't turn this into a negative thread, we should use it as an inspiration for the rest of us. When Tobit anounced his plan to leave I felt like we lost a family member, but then I drew from past experiences and found out why Tobit will never really be gone. Here was the analogy I was gonna post in his thread that got closed.

While I don't share -EDIT'ed- enthusiasim, I will say that you don't have to leave. Saying that, even if you do, you won't really be gone to us, your here, your a part of the team, and more importantly your a part of the family. No matter what, you'll always be that much.

When in combat, a bond is formed between men that is still not understood, still studied to this day. When you are doing something that provides people you've never met anything they want, including the rights to your life and their rights to burn the flag you died for, you build a bond that is seldom ever broken, you become more than brothers, more than simple words can describe sometime. I feel that folding isthe same in some ways. Sure, were not jumping on grenades and avoiding mortars, but the sniper that is cancer and the insurgant that is diseases takes a few more people every day. Sure, most if them are just faces in the wind, but next thing you know, one of our own gets shot, and the fight becomes real for everyone in that AO.

Suddenly, it's not a statistic, is your brother who stould at your side and fought with you. This has happened several times here, some times it's a dirty wound, slowly killing off people over tens of years like myself and so many of us here have been diagnosed with. Sometimes it's more severe, a clean shot in the night that takes someone instantly, cancer stealing a loved one. Whatever it is, it's real, and it makes it real for everyone in that unit. Just ask MaxPC about Elena (sp), what you could call their own Plt. Sgt's daughter got hit, and look what it did to them. Now today it happens again to us. What does that mean to us? That means we drink water and drive on, because until this fight is done there will be more Tobit's, more Elena's (sp), and countless other faces on the wind. We push on and fight the good fight until the battle is won. We don't do it for the money, we don't do it for the fame, we're not trying to be heroes, were just trying to end a war that's been going on longer than any of us have.

I'm sorry if this is a bad analogy, but that's kind of how I see it. While I wish you wouldn't go, or atleast not sell your hardware, I know too well about fighting your demons, and too many time my demons won. After time they started effecting those around me and I was forced to seek help, a d that's all I can suggest to you, get help, because once your over this hurdle (that's all it is bro) you'll kick yourself for waiting so long.

Ask anyone at MPC, hell, go tell em, and I'm sure they'd come here and send you their wishes, because they understand what it's like to lose a squad member. From all of us here, and really from all folders, take care bro, keep frosty, watch your six, and remember, no one ever fights alone in this Unit. Well keep you in our thoughts and prayers until you've taken care of matters and won your own fight, at which time you better report back to duty and use that knowledge to lead the next generation of troopies.

Just remember, no one fights alone. In the Army, we fight only at 3:1 odds our side, and the same goes here, were here, and other medical professionals are available, it's never a bad idea to call for the Medic if you've been shot ;)
Posted via [H] Mobile Device
 
Don't muck up this thread, post to support Tobit and those like him that are currently losing the battle we fight, post to show that we are a squad, we are a family. Post because you want to, nit because I asked y'all to
Posted via [H] Mobile Device
 
Wow - this is a shock...I'm going to have to sit down and read more when I get off of work today. I don't know what to say.....

EDIT - Well said Vaulter. I was Army for close to 10 years before I got out, and I fully understood what you were trying to say there. We are a *TEAM*, and Tobit will always be a member of that team regardless. He's been a vaulable contribution to not just the science behind our project, but everything we do here.
 
Last edited:
This is a bond, a brotherhood.

Who best to know your pain and your sorrow's than your brothers in arms who, most of us, are fighting some sort of our own demons.

I agree with this post, and I hope for the best for Tobit and await his return to his brothers (and sister; Elledan).
 
I sent Tobit a PM and just offered my ears to him at any time because I've had my share of demons of all sorts (especially the mental/emotional kind). While none of us can truly know what anyone else is going through, I learned a long time ago sometimes the only thing you can do is reach out a hand and hopefully eventually that person will grab it when they're ready to. I wish him the best of luck and told him to take care and keep his head up... there is no doubt in my mind that life is a test, full of more tests and trials every day as we go on...and without question the motto "what doesn't kill us only makes us stronger" is the grade A certified truth, I can attest to that. I wouldn't be the person I am today if it hadn't been for the last 32 years of tests, hardships and struggles....interspersed with good times, laughter, and cheer. I would tell anyone else in the world the same thing, whether they were a part of our group or not...not just as Team 33, but as the Folding community as a whole. We are all fighting the good fight in the computer realm, but sometimes we have to step aside and fight the good fight on our homefront in our own backyard. That's all that Tobit is doing here and I (again) wish him the best of luck and hope things work out for the best. Godspeed.

I will only say one thing else and that is, Tobit, if you read this - if at any time you ever think you've hit the end of your rope and you start thinking about ending your life....please, do something about it. Get help. I don't really know you per se, and I don't know if those are the types of things going around in your mind or not...but I was a member of the Got|Apex forums for a long time and someone on there a few years ago who was a semi-active poster ended up having a fight with a girlfriend and committing suicide, which really messed up all the posters who had somewhat become attached to this person as a friend. Therefore I ask you as a friend - if you need help, get help. I may never meet you, but getting to that point in your life impacts more people than you think it does....and you are invaluable to your family and friends as well as the rest of us loons that just know you as "Tobit". Again - hang in there man.

Now, to end on sort of a bright note:
it's never a bad idea to call for the Medic if you've been shot ;)

Maybe I've played too much TF2, but this just made me chuckle. :)
(especially thinking of how each character calls out for the Medic...from the Heavy going "MEH-DIC!" to the Scout going "C'mon Doc!"
 
Hang in there bro. If there's ANYTHING you need, somebody here will find a way.
 
I just realized I screwed up the thread title, should say If you will...

That's what I get for doing all that on my phone

And yes, I think there is a lot of us here who would help out a folder, +1 with my name on that list :)
 
my prayers are with you tobit and wish you a speedy recovery. now as fare the the guy that screwed up tobits goodbye your a ass and have shown your true colors.
 
I just came home from work to find all this :( I don't know if I missed anything but I will say this:

Tobit, I'm going to miss you. If you think you need help please seek it. I will be around if you need someone to talk to, and that offer goes for anyone else as well. Try to stay strong and hang in there. I hope you can get everything sorted out and I eagerly await your return.

-Mike aka Cypher-
 
I've only been lurking for a couple of months but Tobit always seemed very sensible and knowledgeable. I'll miss him but it looks like if he sells his rigs were all going to have to push a little harder to keep ppd up.
 
Tobit, I understand why you felt the need to make your post but honestly you don't owe anyone here anything at all. You only have one life to live in this world and when it comes time for you to change direction, the only person you have to answer to in the end is yourself. You've made quite a name for yourself around here but from what I've seen it isn't because of your ppd or wu's, it's because of the person you are and how you treat everyone else on this forum. Every single time I've posted a question you've been one of the first to respond to me and your answers have been to the point, easy to follow and most of all right. Thanks for being there when I needed you, and you can count on me if you need anything I can provide.

Go now and take care of yourself. This place will not only still be here when and if you come back, but it will remember you whether you come back or not.
 
Tobit, if there's anything you need or just want someone to talk to, PM me.
 
If one of the team members needs to take a break and some time off we should all support them. Real life always has a way of banging into our efforts with the various D.C. projects we try and contribute to in one form or another. Let's give them our support in this effort like all the others. I sent my thoughts to Tobit via PM.
 
Tobit ---

I always enjoyed reading your posts. You are always welcome here. Hope to see you around soon.
 
If one of the team members needs to take a break and some time off we should all support them. Real life always has a way of banging into our efforts with the various D.C. projects we try and contribute to in one form or another. Let's give them our support in this effort like all the others. I sent my thoughts to Tobit via PM.

I'll second this.

My wife just had her broken wrist fixed for the second and hopefully the last time. That became my priority so I backed off on keeping track of my folding, doing some mods and put off all sorts of projects outside of DC as well. Now that things are getting a bit more stable I can jump back into the trenches and put up the "D" I was cranking out until recently.

Tobit, hang in there buddy.
 
DOOZER!!!

WTF man, been waiting for you, hope things got all squared away on your end, you've only got less than 2 months before I catch you lol
 
Thanks for the support guys. I'm still around, mostly lurking, and still folding. I just cut back a little bit to around 24K PpD. I'll ramp up again in the future, I just need to re-evaluate some priorities.

Currently doing 24K to 28K depending on which WU my 9600GSO is crunching -- http://www.teamtobit.net/stats
 
I've noticed you still around the last few days, and have been glad to see it! :D
 
Back
Top