My 7800GTX Explode!

Xer...is there any chance that perhaps your powersupply caused your video to go bad? If it was me, I would replace that PSU asap.

I don't trust OCZ.

Just a siggestion.

~FID

May I ask why you dont trust OCZ? I bought some RAM from them for this computer and initially got a bad kit... but I immediately got to their tech support, and they offered the best support I've experienced through a hardware company. I RMAed the kit, they sent me a brand new one, and it was perfect.

Sounds like it could also be a power supply problem.

Has to be one of the two. Like if the PSU is crapping out, because it cannot properly power the Video card anymore. It seems odd to me that your PSU shuts off, I would think even if the card was bad you would get some error codes or beeping. (Not necessarily true though).

What was causing the PSU to shut off was a short somewhere. I've seen it happen before. Hell, if you want to try it, its real easy with a set of cathodes... just take the metal parts of the switch that turns them on and off, and touch them to the case. The PSU shuts off, but theres still power there.

The video card was causing a short when it was plugged into the PCI-e slot, thats the only conclusion I can make based off of the behavior I've seen. I've had a PSU die a slow death on me on another computer, and the symptoms were completely different (lock ups, blue screens, strange noises coming from the PSU, hard drives powering down while the computer was on, etc.)

It was only when I removed the video card (nothing in the PCI-e slot) the computer was able to boot and get to POST, and then it would give me the beeps for missing/bad video card.

But since you were having issues with the video card (probably loose heatsink) I would also say that is most likely the problem.

Now that you mention that, the heatsink did seem a little looser than I remember it being when I installed it. Who knows what happened.

When your video card said the core was too hot, did you check the temperature? My 7800GT runs hotter than my CPU.

I realize that a GPU's threshold for temperatures is far greater than that of a CPU, but when I say "was running a little hot" I'm talking 115 degrees celcius.

Don't have an ancient PCI video card to try?

Well, right now I'm running the same computer with an 8800GTS 640mb. All systems seem operational, the temps look a lot better than my 7800gtx actually, and as far as I can tell everything is powered efficiently.

I admit I did not read this whole thread thoroughly, but thought to point out a funny thing. Anybody else remember a news that a 7800 card would seize to work after given hours of 3D stress. Thought of that immidiatialy after reading this threads topic :D

EVGA, if I'm not mistaken, was one of the main companies with the horrid 7800 random death problems (if not the only one with it). "same chip, pcb, and ram" indeed but they are not the same cards.

~Adam

EVGA, if I'm not mistaken, was one of the main companies with the horrid 7800 random death problems (if not the only one with it). "same chip, pcb, and ram" indeed but they are not the same cards.

~Adam
IIRC, that was a 7900GT/GTX problem, not 7800.

~Adam

ALL cards that have a nVidia GPU on them are all manufactured in the very same place by the very same people using the very same components.

A card with XFX on it, eVGA, BFG, PNY and etc all were made at the exact same place using the exact same components. These companies would be better called distributors instead of manufacturers.

I think you maybe stuck on eVGA because they were the first company to say "There is a problem, we know about it...etc" That in my book says that eVGA is a little ahead of the competition instead of the other way around.

Here is nVidia's current manufacturer: http://www.flextronics.com/en/default.aspx

my 520w modstream/2gb xtc are workin out pretty well for me. here's a vote for 'trust ocz'

:p

I think you maybe stuck on eVGA because they were the first company to say "There is a problem, we know about it...etc"

That might be a fair statement, also because I don't remember reading about any other "distributor" with the same problem.

~Adam

Xer...is there any chance that perhaps your powersupply caused your video to go bad? If it was me, I would replace that PSU asap.

I don't trust OCZ.

Just a siggestion.

~FID

hahah i love ocz and have never used that one but i have several modstreams and they have been working great for 4 years solid now..

Also you where using the stock cooler on a 7800gtx?? ive never used stock coolers since they usually idle 20C more than a zalman cooler.. might want to try a diff cooler or reseating it/ reapplying paste

I do not agree. Please link me to something that can explain or explain yourself, please.

Read some of the PSU reviews here, or at www.jonnyguru.com -- you'll see that all units have ripple, it's just a question of how much, as another said. There's in-spec ripple, and out of spec ripple. The GameXStream line have out of spec ripple close to their rated wattage output. They're built by FSP, their Epsilon platform, and it's a known problem.

hahah i love ocz and have never used that one but i have several modstreams and they have been working great for 4 years solid now..

Also you where using the stock cooler on a 7800gtx?? ive never used stock coolers since they usually idle 20C more than a zalman cooler.. might want to try a diff cooler or reseating it/ reapplying paste

Generally I dont mess around with video cards, so yes the stock cooler was on it. I've never had a problem with video card heat with stock coolers before, and I dont overclock video cards that much.

No pictures yet? Let me guess, your 7800GTX didn't really explode did it? :rolleyes:

Well I dont have a camera, and it wasnt that interesting of an explosion. It was more of an intense heat followed by immediate failure, with some melting of things.

Back