My 360 Died!

hkhawk

Limp Gawd
So I get home from work last night and trun on my 360 from launch and all I see are the three red lights. This seriously sucks, it was a launch unit and now its out of warranty. Seriously, WTF is up with MS quality control, they have some serious problems. I camped with two other guys at launch who are on their fifth and third 360s respectively. I thought I had lucked out. So is this going to cost me $140? I am so pissed! I really want to get an Elite anyway and hope that somehow MS has addressed this problem but I don't count on it - another friend of mine bought a 360 in January that was manufactured in December and his has already kicked the bucket. MS clearly has no idea what they're doing!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

This is the only reason for me holding out on purchasing the X360... I hope that the HDMI version has a bit more quality built into it..

Sorry it had to happen to you.. :(

That sucks. I thought Microsoft said they'd fix any consoles purchased before a specific date, free of charge. If you have a launch unit I'm sure that'd qualify. Unless I'm wrong about their announcing of that.

So I get home from work last night and trun on my 360 from launch and all I see are the three red lights. This seriously sucks, it was a launch unit and now its out of warranty. Seriously, WTF is up with MS quality control, they have some serious problems. I camped with two other guys at launch who are on their fifth and third 360s respectively. I thought I had lucked out. So is this going to cost me $140? I am so pissed! I really want to get an Elite anyway and hope that somehow MS has addressed this problem but I don't count on it - another friend of mine bought a 360 in January that was manufactured in December and his has already kicked the bucket. MS clearly has no idea what they're doing!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

If you decide not to fix that one for whatever reason let me know. I could use a dvd drive for mine(not an ms fault, drunk got hit it and messed it up some)

This discourages me a little bit because I just bought a 360 premium off of ebay.

It was a kickin deal though, a premium with the works and two wireless controllers, Perfect Dark Zero, and free shipping all for $355. The guy said he got it only 40 days ago from Sears and only played it twice.

I just got tired of waiting for this elite bs although the HDMI could have been a benefit for me because the monitor I will get will support it.

I'm sorry that happened to you though, maybe if you show MS the date of purchase they will fix it for you at no cost.

I believe launch units have a lifetime warranty with them as they had the highest failure rates.

That sucks. I thought Microsoft said they'd fix any consoles purchased before a specific date, free of charge. If you have a launch unit I'm sure that'd qualify. Unless I'm wrong about their announcing of that.

Wow! I'm going to call them tomorrow (Monday) and see what happens.

I believe launch units have a lifetime warranty with them as they had the highest failure rates.
They don't. Microsoft extended the 90 day warranty to 1 year, but launch units are now out of warranty. Mine was purchased december 2005, and died 2 weeks ago. I had to pay $140 to get it replaced.

I'm on my second...although it's actually the same unit, just with a supposedly "fixed" dvd drive that I now have to send back a second time since they "fixed" it and actually did nothing.

They don't. Microsoft extended the 90 day warranty to 1 year, but launch units are now out of warranty. Mine was purchased december 2005, and died 2 weeks ago. I had to pay $140 to get it replaced.

That’s not entirely true.
While it is true that any console made before January 2006 was covered with a fix/replacement until MS changed things to a 1 year warranty.
They now say they won’t replace these units, but that is BS.
I know 3 guys in the last 2 months that have got theirs replaced at no cost, all you have to do is bitch enough.

Personally I feel we have a right to bitch, these consoles are put together shitty as hell; I have had 3 of them myself.
My third system that I rarely even play anymore; locked up twice on me last night.
Where it sits there is nothing around it and the room is cool, so it can't have overheated from the ambient environment.

And, before you go flaming me blah, blah, I understand that new technology is tricky and failures will happen; but this system does indeed have issues, a lot of issues.

Wow! I'm going to call them tomorrow (Monday) and see what happens.

Yea see what they will do. As I said if they will not fix it and you would rather get a new one or wait for a "elite" or whatever let me know as I could use the dvd drive off it.

I too lost my original X360 to the lights of death, It was only 3 or 4 weeks after the system launch to boot. The X360 has the highest failure rate I have seen on a console, almost everyone I know who has one had it break.

im waiting for my 360 to die aswell im getting dirty disc errors and it freezes during games and stuff. Seems like it has been getting worse lately. After all the horror stories i've read im dreading the fact that i'll probably be sending mine in soon.

I am on my second 360 too. :mad: The last one cost me 130 bucks to get fixed. BUT, after some digging around I found that the a lot of times the three red lights is nothing more than a bad fan.
I did check my fans before sending it out and one was not running. I still sent it since I had already talked to customer service. When I got it back both fans were running.
130 bucks to fix a 2 dollar fan. From here on in I am taking ti apart myself and trying to fix it.

Hey man. I have some info for you, because that EXACT same thing JUST happened to me. Mine was a launch system too, and unfortunately you're gonna have to spend exactly $139.90 to get it fixed. I just sent out mine in the mail last monday. But, good news is, when you get your system back, you get a 90 day warranty, but if you want you can spend $25 for a year warranty, per year, for up to two years. So, for $50 you get a 2 year warranty (which is really good if you think about it. Also, I had mine sicne launch day, and only now did something happen, so that's pretty good for almost a year and a half. So, nothing you can do really, just call them up and submit a repair order, and of course have $139.90 handy. Good luck...:cool:

P.S. When I took my 360 to the UPS store to have them bubble wrap it, and pack it away nicely, the girl asked me if that is one of the new Xboxes, and I said yeah. She said, she gets at least 2 in every week!!! That really surprised me.

Oh... if you want, you can hold your $139.90, and wait for the new 360 to come out if you want to do that instead of spending money to get your current one fixed. Just a suggestion...

Wow... no problems here still. I am myself wondering if I just have good luck, or if fate is going to strike its deadly blow... same console since launch...

Not had the red lights yet but have had the disk drive fail on two of them now, currently awaiting my third 360.

Probably just going to get an elite at this rate, with the quiet disk drive and cooler running maybe it'll be less likely to fail.

Wonder if the !!!!!!s will calculate repair costs when doing the PS3 price comparison :D

So make a thread about it.

Seriously, its OUT OF WARRANTY. Why are you complaining ? :confused:

Wonder if the !!!!!!s will calculate repair costs when doing the PS3 price comparison :D

I'll start off by saying that I think my PS3 > current version of X360. I'm gonna wait a month or 2 after the release of the X362 to see if it holds up well enough to purchase. :p

Wow... no problems here still. I am myself wondering if I just have good luck, or if fate is going to strike its deadly blow... same console since launch...

Same here. Mine is a launch day console and has been running perfectly. It has only locked up twice on me since I got it.

Sorry to hear =/

Mine died about 3 weeks ago - its killing me not to be able to watch quality DVDs anymore.

Mine was a launch unit - picked it up from my brother after it or one like it got sent back for failing the second time - he bought a new one I bought the return... well.. while he's trying to return it another time (not holding much hope for this) I'm left deciding what to do.

I'll buy another I'm sure but... I of course want to wait for the supposed 'elite' but if Microsoft hasn't said anything on it it could be a long time yet if it all. Then there's the fact that while my Westy supports HDMI - my entertainment center doesn't so it'd depend if they put an optical output on the HDMI cord. I already bought the VGA cord and am (was) viewing in 1080p - so probably not any video quality jump. So am I really holding out on an ethereal device for... black paint and more storage? (Theoretical anyway)

So when I look at the $140 repair bill I have to wonder if it wouldn't be a better idea to simply grab one of those useless cores and put a warranty on it. I've still got the HDD from the old premium... headsets galore.. wired and wireless.. controlers.. hd unit, remote... games... I have everything but the working core so I really have to wonder - wouldn't it be better to just get a core at this point?

I'd just get a core and buy the warranty if I were you, and try to sell the broken one. I see requests to buy them on craigslist and such for 100-150 bucks all the time, or get it fixed and sell it off.

I'm not regretting my 360 purchase, but I would be in a seriously angry place if I hadn't sprung for the 2 year extended warranty.

I'm going to complain and see what happens. I just feel like the $140 is almost extortion. I mean, I feel like MS should regard me (and all launch owners) as an excellent customer. I mean, after all, I waited out in the cold for hours to buy the thing and have bought loads of games, even a few of the really crappy launch ones.:)

I've also basically made up my mind that whatever happens I'm going to upgrade to an Elite when they come out... and get an extended warranty on it ;)

Well I heard on if I remembered correctly engadget (I know its spelled wrong) or somewhere else that m$ will just make like 1000 of them(limited edition 360's) but again this is most likely a rumor and we won't know until m$ releases the official info on them. On the ring of death, I saw a vid on youtube that a person had a 360 with the ring of death and just gave the 360 a squeeze(360 was off) and turned it back on and it fixed the problem.

edit found video, for all you 360owners when the ring of death happens again video here

Well I heard on if I remembered correctly engadget (I know its spelled wrong) or somewhere else that m$ will just make like 1000 of them(limited edition 360's) but again this is most likely a rumor and we won't know until m$ releases the official info on them. On the ring of death, I saw a vid on youtube that a person had a 360 with the ring of death and just gave the 360 a squeeze(360 was off) and turned it back on and it fixed the problem.

edit found video, for all you 360owners when the ring of death happens again video here

I've also seen someone fix the ring of death by shaking his 360 like a crying baby. It only worked a couple of times though. :(

Dont they? thats weird my mate in the US who had a launch machine has had his replaced/fixed many times and its been well over a year. I swear he said that the launch machines were lifetime covered....maybe im in the wrong. Either way my console was made just at the end of 06 so im sure its ok for a good while.

Dont they? thats weird my mate in the US who had a launch machine has had his replaced/fixed many times and its been well over a year. I swear he said that the launch machines were lifetime covered....maybe im in the wrong. Either way my console was made just at the end of 06 so im sure its ok for a good while.

I believe the replacement consoles come with 90 day or 1 year warranties. If you had a launch machine that failed within a year and then that one failed within the new warranty period, you could get it replaced a bunch of times at no cost.

For me the 360 is the first gaming system to ever break down on me after 2 months of just buying it. This was last Dec. and died on me in the first week of Feb. Then MS decides to send me a refurbished one instead of fixing the original one that I bought! Scared to see how long this one will last me. If it breaks down again then I'm just going to stop buying MS crap. I should of just waited for a PS3 or a Wii! The original Xbox didn't break down at all and still works to this day.

i swear i read that all 2005 consoles get a lifetime and pretty much you just get a new one. I know my friend sent his 05 in couple months ago out of warrenty and got a new one free and bought 2 more years from MS.

Im on my first one that i bought from a friend that sent it in twice. I just bought another year though since i get dirty disk alot on vegas.

i see a trend...

well mine just died. It was manufactured in Dec 05. It lasted a decent amount of time... *tear

I was to lazy to argue the warranty issue on the phone since the operator was such a nice guy

now to wait for my replacement one. hopefully they actually fix it and not just pick one out of a crap pile and send it. *prays

i swear i read that all 2005 consoles get a lifetime and pretty much you just get a new one.

That's what I thought as well. I could have sworn I read an announcement saying that if your console was manufactured before a certain date, and it broke, it would be replaced free of charge. This was around the same time they also announced the new 1 year warrenty.

Anyway, let us know how it goes.

now to wait for my replacement one. hopefully they actually fix it and not just pick one out of a crap pile and send it. *prays
They fixed mine, but they cracked the case in the process.

That's what I thought as well. I could have sworn I read an announcement saying that if your console was manufactured before a certain date, and it broke, it would be replaced free of charge. This was around the same time they also announced the new 1 year warrenty
I'd like to see this announcement if anyone can find it. If this is true microsoft owes me some money.

i think this is what your looking for.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6163599.html

After continued reports of Xbox 360 owners experiencing hardware problems, Microsoft in September acknowledged that its original batch of systems was experiencing a higher than normal rate of failure. It also committed to repairing for free any system made before January 1, 2006, and to providing refunds for "the small group of customers who have already paid for repairs."

After continued reports of Xbox 360 owners experiencing hardware problems, Microsoft in September acknowledged that its original batch of systems was experiencing a higher than normal rate of failure. It also committed to repairing for free any system made before January 1, 2006, and to providing refunds for "the small group of customers who have already paid for repairs."

That'd be it. Thanks for finding it.

I'm now on my 6th xbox 360. My first was manufactured in jan of 06, died of dvd-rom failure approx six months later. I exchanged it for another premium at Best Buy (prp) , but it had a broken power button out of the box. Upon further inspection I found that the system was a refurb (it had a obviously tampered with geniune MS logo sticker on the chassis) after much arguing with the BB manager they replaced it the next day with another off the shelf unit. My third lasted around 4 months then it locked up while listening to Ice-T (powering it on and off resulted in red lights). I contacted MS , you know the drill I sent mine back in a coffin , they sent me a refurb, with a broken power button.

So I call back I tell them politely that I'm losing my patience, this is rediculous etc. They are very polite, they offer me Viva Pinata for free (its actually pretty cool btw) and send me another coffin. So I wait another 3ish weeks and I get the same refurbish system back again, this time they broke the eject button (didn't actually fix the powerbutton either). So I call back again, they set me up with a sexy sounding black gal as my "special representative". She is very conciderate of my circumstance and she says I'm getting a new system this time (although when asked if its a new non breaking version she says "Sorry we're still working out the kinks") and a free wireless controller. I have had it back for almost a week and so far so good. Even the powre button works.

I guess I'll try to contact them to get my money back since I just paid for this three weeks ago.

Back