My 24" LCD Monitor Quest

oozish

[H]ard|Gawd
o.k., so I've been researching the entire front page of the hard "DISPLAY" threads for a monitor; and that's a lot to learn...

I don't really need one as I run 2 19" ATM and that works fine, but I do want to get ready for true HD and like the resolution of 1900x1200 (I think it's 1080p, you know...) and have a huge monitor that looks better than what I have. I have an XBox 360 but it uses component cables with my other TV, but it would be nice to switch to a central/computer area. I'm fine with a TN monitor.

3 days later I feel that while I'd want to buy the BenQ G2400W, the only place I can get it is online and I really don't want to risk buying online and having the cost of RMA'ing back and forth for all the possible problems a monitor can have.

So I'm surprised that by the reviews, the HP w2408h looks like it really kicks some butt, has a wide color gamut, good response times, and great blacks for movies etc.... if you don't mind the reflective surface and lack of DVI-D port (What the heck!). So I resign to buy one at the local best buy and get a hdmi to dvi cable as an added cost.

I get to best buy and immediately the guy there starts trying to talk me into the SAmsung 2493hm, and tells me I'm crazy to be looking at the HP for the money. He also smugly tells me I'd have to buy a cable anyway since no monitors come with DVI/VGA cables (I'm just staying quiet, guys like this aren't worth arguing with). By the time he's done with me I'm just confused enough to re-research the Samsung line and I'm thinking somethings wrong with the HP somehow. Yes, his constant babbling worked.

So I go to circuit city and talk to a customer and a employee about the HP and they're all about the Samsung with 2ms response...of course not the 24", a model coming out soon, but a 22".

Since I'm going to have to buy another cable anyway and they don't stock one at a reasonable price (frys has a HDMI to DVI for 20-40 bucks), I just give up and start thinking about ordering the 'virtually pre-calibrated G2400W' again and taking the risk.

Actually, my real attitude by now is I think I'll just wait until something else comes along with DVI & Hdmi outputs, a good color gamut of 90+, and is local...I'm tired of this. I don't even know why I'm posting maybe cause I've been lurking unseen so steadily I feel like I know alot of you already and wanted to let you know I've been here....lol.

Which monitor given one can be bought in town and one has to be ordered (the G2400W vs. the HP or anything else BEst buy stocks) should I get or should I wait patiently for a clear victor?

Any thoughts and thanks!

Wow, trust me, don't get the FHD2400. The 360 looks like crap on the component and vga inputs of that monitor.

I already had the gateway at 400 bucks after price matching at Best Buy and I'm not interested in that. I love the connection options but too many bad reviews on blacks & color problems when there are better monitors out there.

Thanks, anyone else on the prospects I've mentioned?

10e, I know you've had experience with this; would you still recommend the G2400W over the HP even with shipping vs. local?

A friend of mine has HP w2408h and is absolutelly happy with it. I'd not touch a glossy screen with a 4m long stick, but he likes it :) Just has to use DVI-HDMI cable, that's all. But you got to respect the local buying options :)

I stay away from recommending "online" monitor purchases except from NCIX because they offer a pixel warranty, meaning you won't pay for back shipping a monitor to them if it is because of dead pixels.

Granted that, other problems could arise (BLB, clouding, non-uniform backlight, etc...) which are not covered, but at least the major issue is dealt with.

So any online retailer offering a pixel warranty is a good thing. It's worth the money. G2400W monitors come in tiny boxes that offer little to no protection, so they need to "repack" it in another box. I bought mine retail at Tiger Direct. It's a bit expensive, but their service has been very good.

Alternatively, the W2408H is nice but the 1 year warranty relative to the price bothers me. Retailers generally make close to $100.00 selling each and every one of those monitors. High gamut panel with "popping" and vibrant colors. I don't like glossy but if you do, it's a good choice. Good stand. Viewing angles worse than BenQ, but the high-impact screen makes a "strong" impression.

If you can grab one from Best Buy I would check it out because they always give at least 14 days. If you want to keep it, pay a bit more to extend the warranty.

The Samsung is nice if you aren't using consoles over HDMI or VGA. You will have to use 1280x768 over VGA with this screen in order to get close to 16:10 with no stretching on that monitor.

Regards,

10e

Oh, I forgot in the USA the warranty may differ. In Europe it should be at least two years.
Btw, how many monitors do you actually own, 10e? :)

Thanks guys, now I'm also thinking about the samsung 2232GW or BW; maybe the HP 2207 but I think the Samsung has it beat. Maybe I don't need the 24" after all, heh. Ah yes, this is going to take a while....

:)

I stay away from recommending "online" monitor purchases except from NCIX because they offer a pixel warranty, meaning you won't pay for back shipping a monitor to them if it is because of dead pixels.

I was poking around NCIX just now but couldn't really find it - is the pixel warranty something you add during checkout? Or is this an inherent part of any monitor purchase at NCIX?

<< Thinking of getting a DS 26" there :D

If you can grab one from Best Buy I would check it out because they always give at least 14 days. If you want to keep it, pay a bit more to extend the warranty.
When buying an LCD at Best Buy recently I was told that there would be a 15% restocking fee if I returned the item after opening it. Looking at their return policy online (link resizes your browser), it looks like there isn't. Can anyone verify?
Restocking Fee
A 15% restocking fee will be charged on opened notebook computers, projectors, camcorders, digital cameras, radar detectors, GPS/navigation and in-car video systems. A 25% restocking fee will be charged on special order products, including appliances. These fees apply unless the item is defective or damaged, you receive the wrong item, or the fee is prohibited by law.

To the OP, I'd stick with the original monitor that you researched yourself. If you find that you don't like it, you could possibly return or exchange it. Chances are, it will be good enough for you to keep.

I can testify that BB doesn't charge you a 15% restocking fee if you return it (they told me) within 30 days. I did take back 1 monitor the other day (the gateway) on the same day I bought it and there was no problem returning it sans restocking fee.

As I'm thinking, it looks like the Samsung 2232GW can be had for 349 plus a 50 dollar rebate at Frys; That panel looks pretty good but I don't like the lack of options (no usb).

RE: hp2207; if I get Frys to Pricematch Best buy they'll tack on an additional 10% discount that would bring the hp2207 to under 300 bucks, but now I'm thinking that panel isn't a Samsung like the 24" ver. and it's probably inferior to the Samsung 2ms model above. Plus, with HDMI only, I'd have to buy a cable for another 40 bucks and I don't even need HDMI or anticiapte I'll use that in the future.

Either way, it seems to me maybe the 22" is a better way to go price/performance wise if not buying online.

It may be part of the ExpressRMA warranty. I know that warranty gives you free return shipping and advanced RMA cross shipping (where they send it to you before you send back), but I'm not 100% sure if it also covers dead pixels. You may want to call their customer support line and find out.

I do believe it's an option you add after you put the unit in your cart.

I would also add the heavy duty shipping box, because it only adds $5.00 or $6.00 and it really protects the product.

The DS is very nice. Same panel as my NEC 26" which is incredible.

Regards,

10e

I was poking around NCIX just now but couldn't really find it - is the pixel warranty something you add during checkout? Or is this an inherent part of any monitor purchase at NCIX?

<< Thinking of getting a DS 26" there :D

Back