My 2018 Linux Test

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by JSumrall, Jul 28, 2018.

1. B00nie

B00nie [H]ardness Supreme

99% of the time I managed to bork my linux installs was when I tried to force install a closed source graphics driver. It typically fails to boot to desktop on next restart if you used a driver that really wasn't working or compatible.

2. Zuul

Zuul Gawd

OK that did not help me 99% of the time.The point is Ubuntu worked 100% of the time

3. B00nie

B00nie [H]ardness Supreme

That might be because Ubuntu packages in the closed source drivers ready for you if you choose to.

4. JSumrall

JSumrall Limp Gawd

I had a machine bork out on me during a simple reboot of Ubuntu. No idea why it happened then. The machine had been running fine for 7 years.

5. JSumrall

JSumrall Limp Gawd

I installed X and Gnome but kept having a problem with nothing working inside of the shell. I was about to just wipe and start over when I discovered, for some reason, the locale.gen file didn't save for some reason when I created it earlier. So, I used the USB disc to boot up where I could modify the file, did a chroot, recreated the locale.gen file using nano instead of Vi, saved it, rebooted and viola! Things started working in gnome.