My $2.50 GPU Sag Solution.

I just added an Aplhacool NexXxos GPX waterblock to my 970. The Twin Frozr V was hardly lightweight, but with that giant aluminum heatsink and backplate, my GPU is now a PCI slot-torquing nightmare.

After pulling my hair out looking for a solution, finding the PowerColor PowerJack had been out of production of years, finding PCI-slot brackets to be lacking, and not wanting to put fishing line in my computer case, I went to the hardware store.

UEftx8k.jpg

Two "well nuts" make the base and platform. These are made of rubber, with threaded brass inserts, and run about a buck apiece. Add to that one 3" machine screw, lop off the head with a dremel, and you have a nice, simple, adjustable, and IMO not-too-shabby-looking GPU support.

Buy the machine screw in whatever length gives you a good range of adjustment for your case. Mine's a shorty because of the faux floor in my Phanteks Evolv ATX.

Hope this helps!

great idea but howsabout a pic of this in use please ?
I'll upload one soon. I'm not quite done with that watercooling project, so my GPU isn't in my case yet.

I get my rad tonight, so I'll be test fitting to build a fittings list. I'll try and remember to snap a pic while I've got the GPU in temporarily! =)

Much better looking than the multiple zip ties I've been using. ;)

I almost wish I had these types of problems. It would be a perfect excuse for me to buy a 3d printer

I'll upload one soon. I'm not quite done with that watercooling project, so my GPU isn't in my case yet.

I get my rad tonight, so I'll be test fitting to build a fittings list. I'll try and remember to snap a pic while I've got the GPU in temporarily! =)
Here you go!

790KrTI.jpg

It hides nicely behind the power cables.

Time to order fittings...

Great idea!

Love that case. Wish I had bought a D5/tube res combo instead of the EK D5 dbay res combo. Case selection is limited :(

Interesting

Right now I have a drywall anchor in mine. Raising the card up dramatically increased the temperature reading. Asus Strix 980. With no support and full load (F@H) - about 70C and 50-60% fan speed - what I'm used to seeing with this card. Lifting the card up by the shround - either with the jack or with my hand - 100% fan speed, 80-90C.

I have been having a problem with this computer full restarting on occasion - maybe this is part of that. Is that typical change in temperature?

No. I've been propping up heavy GPUs for years and there's usually no change in temperature. Did you accidentally/unwittingly partially dislodge the heatsink from the die?

It's entirely possible. The card has been sagging a bit since it's installation about a year and a half ago - but seemingly has run fine (apart from the computer random reboots, which just started a couple of months ago and do not appear to be related to this particular video card).

It runs without crashing under full load both supported and unsupported, and I'm on just the shroud, not directly on the heatsink or obstructing the fan, it's just the large change in temperature/fan speed. I'll see if I can get a picture later.

Interesting

Right now I have a drywall anchor in mine. Raising the card up dramatically increased the temperature reading. Asus Strix 980. With no support and full load (F@H) - about 70C and 50-60% fan speed - what I'm used to seeing with this card. Lifting the card up by the shround - either with the jack or with my hand - 100% fan speed, 80-90C.

I have been having a problem with this computer full restarting on occasion - maybe this is part of that. Is that typical change in temperature?

Definitely sounds like the cooler isn't properly attached to the card. The shroud is attached to the cooler so putting pressure on the shroud could affect the heatsink. If you are feeling adventurous, flip the PC upside down and see what it does.

Not intending to hijack this thread - but yeah, all data points to cooler not quite mounted right. Thanks for the feedback everyone!

My current solution is a zip tie going from a hole in a 5.25" bay then wrapping around the power cables. I've also used string in the past from the power cables to the top of the case.

I know this is an ancient thread, but I came across something today that I think is relevant (maybe they didn't exist when this thread was started).

Search for "gpu support bracket" on Amazon. There are a bunch of options for adding support for a GPU. Like this:

A1X%2BEXeoBuL._SL1500_.jpg

I know this is an ancient thread, but I came across something today that I think is relevant (maybe they didn't exist when this thread was started).

Search for "gpu support bracket" on Amazon. There are a bunch of options for adding support for a GPU. Like this:

A1X%2BEXeoBuL._SL1500_.jpg
Looks like a rip of MNPCTech's beautiful brackets. It definitely didn't exist when I made mine.

necro yes, but man, VanGoghComplex that is a really gorgeous, clean build.

I really like the $3 solution you came up with, and something about it works well with the piping for your cooling loop. Like, it's all plumbing and pipes and steel beams or something. Idunno. It looks good, is what I'm saying.

necro yes, but man, VanGoghComplex that is a really gorgeous, clean build.

I really like the $3 solution you came up with, and something about it works well with the piping for your cooling loop. Like, it's all plumbing and pipes and steel beams or something. Idunno. It looks good, is what I'm saying.
Thanks!

The funny thing is that this post is necro'd enough... The case is the only part of that build that's still a part of that build, at this point. XD

I'm not sure if this would work in all cases I know for a fact it wouldn't

Back