MW2 Sounds suck.

Dethred

2[H]4U
Yep, I've always said that. The guns in waw sound like airsoft guns. You'd think given the crowd it's targeted at they would try to make the weapons sound more powerful than they really do.

I like how the box slamming on the ground doesn't make the slightest hint of a sound. That was pretty impressive.

Generally bland sound design and lack of environmental effects make this pretty unappealing in the audio department. Not terrible visually speaking, though.

All the guns sound like paintball guns. There are old HL1 mods with better gun sounds than the ones in MW2.

I disagree completely

I was just thinking tonight that upon beating the game the sounds were really good!

I was walking on a slushy winter trail and when I was in the snow it sounded like snow, when i walked across slush the sound changed! That's some definate attention to detail and the orchestration of the game was fantastic...in fact I have no idea what you could possibly compare this game to --- that has better sound in the gaming world.

I agree the sounds really do suck.
Something about the gun sounds, that just sound fake and weak.
Even older games have better and more realistic gun sounds.
You think with their budget they could afford to do a better job on the sounds.

Also there is no 7.1 surround sound either, so i have to dumb down my system to 5.1.
So many other older games out there have much better surround sound.
For a game released in 2009 it should have 7.1, unfortunately it was designed primarily as a console game which would explain why its only 5.1

One question, does anyone know how to turn off the music?

The music is ok in campaign, however i would prefer to have it off for special opps so i can actually hear ppl around me etc..

I have no idea what you could possibly compare this game to --- that has better sound in the gaming world.
Thief: The Dark Project, BioShock, Prey, BF2, most of the NFS games post-Porsche Unleashed.

I disagree completely

I was just thinking tonight that upon beating the game the sounds were really good!

I was walking on a slushy winter trail and when I was in the snow it sounded like snow, when i walked across slush the sound changed! That's some definate attention to detail and the orchestration of the game was fantastic...in fact I have no idea what you could possibly compare this game to --- that has better sound in the gaming world.

Plenty of very old games do what you say and while the game has plenty of sounds, they are all of very poor quality, especially the gun sounds. Go play Insurgency and listen to the gun sounds in that, they sound about 1000x better than it's a HL2 mod. It's pathetic.

I figured out how to disable music.
just rename the miles folder and the game wont think theres any music to play.

This made all the difference in being able to complete a special ops map on hardened mode.
Now i could actually hear enemy footsteps, instead of music.

Hmm.. I haven't played a Battlefield game since Vietnam, but BC2 looks pretty freakin awesome. Just added to my list.

MW2 sounds like crap.

Can't wait for BC2, looks stunning.

No kidding this game is going to be one to wait for, looks very engaging.

On the sound note though, I have to agree. Those sounds are terrible in MW2, but its not alone, many games come out with bad sound effects. I think companies should put just as much into the sound as they do the graphics maybe even more, without good sound quality (for me) in a game it can really take you out of it. Thank god we have a modding community :)

I wonder if it's just the PC version that sounds bad? I played the 360 version with a pair of high dollar headphones today and thought it sounded great?! I've not tried the PC version.

It doesn't matter because the game was made for consoles and the majority of console players will have an earpiece on listening to low quality voice chat and can't tell the difference.

What I hate most is how quiet guns are and how they poorly depict claymore explosions and suppressed firearms.

Real claymore:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqzHUpcGE34

Real suppressed M16:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YTieIiZNN4

Since the game is made for consoles (especially in the Xbox 360 version) it supports Dolby Digital 5.1 sound. Don't be spreading garbage. The sound is incredible with all the channels used discreetly. Feel free to stop by my place and play it on my 92 inch screen and a 7.1 full speaker set up. You guys are all acting like a bunch of spoiled brats not getting your way. Feel free to make judgments about MW2 when you actually play the game on both systems.

I agree the sounds really do suck.
Something about the gun sounds, that just sound fake and weak.
Even older games have better and more realistic gun sounds.
You think with their budget they could afford to do a better job on the sounds.

Also there is no 7.1 surround sound either, so i have to dumb down my system to 5.1.
So many other older games out there have much better surround sound.
For a game released in 2009 it should have 7.1, unfortunately it was designed primarily as a console game which would explain why its only 5.1

One question, does anyone know how to turn off the music?

The music is ok in campaign, however i would prefer to have it off for special opps so i can actually hear ppl around me etc..

lol dude...there are barely any movie titles released in 7.1(including blu-ray). i own quite a few movies and probably less than 5% of them have 7.1 sound.

you can't really expect game makers to integrate 7.1 sounds into their games, can you? the amount of people with 7.1 sound systems are few and far between, especially the majority of gamers.

im waiting for lossless sound in games. i could care less about 2 more channels. the combination of great graphics and awesome sound would make a game that much more immersive. even if its two channel stereo lossless sound...

the guns sounded fine to me in MW2.. the ones that sounded like paintball guns were the silenced weapons.. the problem with them not sounding powerful enough is that they leveled out all the audio so an ak47 was just as loud as the SMG.. where the AK47 should of been way louder then the SMG..

COD4 had the same problem. When I posted about it here I was told my headphones were too crappy to understand how awesome the sounds are.

lol dude...there are barely any movie titles released in 7.1(including blu-ray). i own quite a few movies and probably less than 5% of them have 7.1 sound.

you can't really expect game makers to integrate 7.1 sounds into their games, can you? the amount of people with 7.1 sound systems are few and far between, especially the majority of gamers.

Why are you talking about movies? Who said anything about movies? :confused:

I can, and i will, expect PC game makers to integrate 7.1 sound into their games, especially since many other game studios already have, and continue to do so.
Even very old games have, and perform perfectly with 7.1 surround.

Creative Soundblaster cards for PC's have had 7.1 surround for several years now, so its nothing new or special.
I have had a 7.1 surround sound setup in my PC room for around 6 to 7 years.

The only reason this game does not have it is because its not a true PC game, instead it is a console port.

It is also not too much to ask from a company that just made about half a billion dollars in sales.
They should have enough money to fund the R&D required to add in 2 more channels.

Speaking of sounds: I haven't played the game yet but I expect that Hans Zimmer turned in a pretty damned good score for the game. I wonder if it'll get a soundtrack release?...

you can't really expect game makers to integrate 7.1 sounds into their games, can you?
There is no 'integration'. The XAudio 2 API supports 7.1 natively.

Generally speaking, the amount of effort that needs to be invested to support both 5.1 and 7.1 mixing is approximately zero minutes. The only exception would be with any content that is pre-mixed for 5.1, but pre-mixing is used sparingly. To my knowledge, the most recent game to leverage pre-mixed multichannel assets was Doom 3.

The sounds of the guns don't really express the power. Older games had better gun sounds.

I find it irritating there is only one volume slider. You can't adjust the music at all, nor turn it off. You're stuck with Michael Bay movie music the entire game. I usually like to play shooters with no music on replays.

The sound is pretty good. Positioning is good, I can still hear tangos behind me.

I still wish there wasa bit more impact when firing a large caliber weapon like the 50 cal.

But since I upgraded my sound system to a decent 7.1 system, I feel like I am in the game. :)

The sounds of the guns don't really express the power. Older games had better gun sounds.

It's a shame they never released Black for the PC. Great game, and it had awesome weapon sounds.

From Wikipedia:

Emphasising the game's action film heritage, sound effects for the weapons in the game were based on various sounds from movies. For example Bruce Willis' Heckler & Koch MP5 in Die Hard, Jack Bauer's pistol in 24 and Arnold Schwarzenegger's Uzi in True Lies.

Realising in the chaos of a heavy gun battle the heavy mix of sound and music would produce a cacophony of noise, the sound designers developed the "choir of guns" concept. Whereas, traditionally in a shooter game, each weapon model would be assigned a different sound, Black assigns each enemy their own "voice", similar to the way in which each member of a choir would have their own distinct voice. For example, there are three enemies firing, one would be assigned a low voice, another a medium voice, and the third a high voice. This allows all the weapons being fired in any particular scene to harmonise and deliver a distinct sound for the game. Black's sound was nominated for Best Audio at 2006 BAFTA Video Games Awards, and won Best Art & Sound jointly with Burnout Revenge at the 2006 Develop Industry Excellence Awards.

I find it irritating there is only one volume slider. You can't adjust the music at all, nor turn it off. You're stuck with Michael Bay movie music the entire game. I usually like to play shooters with no music on replays.

Me too.

Like i mentioned earlier, you can disable the music by re-naming the miles folder to something else ( like miles-off etc.)
Then when you want the music back on, just rename it back to miles.

worked so far for me, now i can play the special ops maps without music :)

Yeah they're pretty pathetic in MW2 and the original, they sound like guns fired by compressed air, a good sound for silenced weapons but not for all guns.

The most recent game to impress me with gun sounds was Far Cry 2 actually, firing that Dragunov for the first time made me weak at the knees, with the bass right up it's beautiful :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHAEQcIUHw8

And just listen to that grenade launcher at the end :)

i agree the m4 is not as powerfull sounding as in cod4. its sounds like a damn mp5. the sniper rifle sounds like a pistol

I have no idea what you could possibly compare this game to --- that has better sound in the gaming world.
Even Doom 3 had better sound.

Actually, that was one of Doom 3's best features; the ambiance was good with just stereo and amazing when you had surround sound.

I guess I don't really get too worked up about it, I would say that with everything going on in the game they basically leveled out the sounds so that the guns aren't overpowering everything else. They probably did so, so that the squad yelling commands and enemy locations, the surrounding battle noise, and the score would all come through somewhat equally.

One game I can say does have amazing sound and very realistic weapon noise, is Battlefield:Bad Company. In surround mode, it rocks. It very definitely blows MW2 out of the water soundwise, but to it's credit the single player in MW2 is much more engrossing and cinematic that the campaign was in BC.

It's a shame that so many PC gamers who owned consoles gave it the thumb to nose just because it was console only, because it really was an awesome game. It's also a shame they didn't release the first one on PC, because that would have been awesome.

I'm glad that everyone is excited for the sequel, because I think there will be a lot of pleasantly surprised people who didn't get in on the first one.

Back