MW2, No Dedicated Servers, PB, 9v9 limit, leaning, etc etc

How does eliminating dedicated servers relate to having to pay for DLC? If the server has DLC in the form of maps and you don't, you don't get to play on that server. With guns and such it should be less of a problem.

I have a feeling there's going to be a lot of waiting around for games to start with MW2.

This game is starting to stink of console port. Buyer beware.

Dedicated servers can run any maps, hacks, mods and configurations that they want to. Which means that if IW/Activision releases a DLC map pack, users could re-create those maps and run them and distribute them for free on private servers. Which means that no one would ever buy DLC from IW/Activision.

Now that their netcode is a P2P design, there's no way you can run/host a game without a map/mod supplied by IW/Activision, so IW/Activision has exclusive control on what game content you are allowed to play. IF you want to pay $10 for 3 maps that hundreds of modders are willing to make for free, then be my guest, most of us expect developers to align with the status quo of PC gaming.

Well if you guys are boycotting please please please don't go around insulting/questioning people for not boycotting and/or advocating piracy.

Advocating piracy is against the rules. Bans have already been handed out in this threads for it.

Please report any posts you see that are encouraging or admitting to piracy

you are making the assumption that this will work like dedicated servers.

This will more or less work like left 4 dead, so you will play with people whose maps owned is the same as yours.

The whole concept that you know of as servers doesn't apply to this.

Well then expect to be kicked out of the server constantly for not having a map.

thats not how matchmaking works. you are still thinking its exactly like a dedicated server with custom maps, its not.

Im not buying the game as well so i wont be kicked out of anything.

COD is, was, and never will be a tactical shooter. I do not know where you're getting the impression that it is.

And yay, another Valve online shooter based on a six-year-old graphics engine is exactly what PC gaming needs. :rolleyes:

Oh alright, let's debate semantics. I don't like realism in video games, let me just put that out there. But I do like modern weapons. So, I'd like a FPS with modern weapons. If that's not tactical enough for you, that's fine. But I'd rather use one word to describe what I want than six. I'm sure everyone else knows what I'm talking about when I say "tactical".

Oh, and gameplay > graphics. Source looks good to my eyes.

I'm sorry that you don't want the same game I do, but judging by this here petition, there's a market void for a modern shooter. CoD4 on the PC was apparently tremendously popular and now there's no sequel.

BRB, ordering some tactical cargo pants...

Well then expect to be kicked out of the server constantly for not having a map.

no..

and no its not like L4D..

L4D is dedicated server with lobby system.. it automatic assign people to free-dedicated server when match begin..

but for IW.NET is way different, which is entirely player hosted server with p2p..

where it end up NO CUSTOM MAP, NO MOD, NO ADMIN, AND LAG LIKE SHITS..

maybe kids yelling around...perhaps...:p

no..

and no its not like L4D..

L4D is dedicated server with lobby system.. it automatic assign people to free-dedicated server when match begin..

but for IW.NET is way different, which is entirely player hosted server with p2p..

where it end up NO CUSTOM MAP, NO MOD, NO ADMIN, AND LAG LIKE SHITS..

maybe kids yelling around...perhaps...:p

Yea, sort of like L4D Demo Verison.

So is LAN play gone to? If not will we have to authenticate online before we start up a game?

So badly do I wish they would answer our questions. Like how many people can play in a server. Is it really p2p? I just can't imagine p2p for a game that was suppose to be huge. What's the big deal with custom maps?

I'm afraid their silence is an indication of iwnet being as bad as most of us expect. Why are they not trying to calm us down? Instead, I feel like they are attacking us with some of the comments they have said.

Although I am slightly ticked off, I think we should just all settle down.

It's just a product. It's like the cabbage patch doll craze all over again! lol

it's a product just like toothpaste or a brand of clothing or a video card company. And we are going this crazy over a product?

I think they should charge 200 for the game. That way it would at least start to come close to the passion we have.

Well the Q&A session is coming up. If a good portion of the boycotters hold their rage in and refrain from blasting the devs during questioning we'll probably get some answers to the pressing questions.

Of course thats assuming if the IW staff present for the Q&A actually give concrete answers.

Although I am slightly ticked off, I think we should just all settle down.

It's just a product. It's like the cabbage patch doll craze all over again! lol

it's a product just like toothpaste or a brand of clothing or a video card company. And we are going this crazy over a product?

I think they should charge 200 for the game. That way it would at least start to come close to the passion we have.

I'm pretty sure if that asshole ceo of activison/blizzard (what's his name kotick? Kotprick?) had his way they would charge that for every game.

Last edited:
Well the Q&A session is coming up. If a good portion of the boycotters hold their rage in and refrain from blasting the devs during questioning we'll probably get some answers to the pressing questions.

Of course thats assuming if the IW staff present for the Q&A actually give concrete answers.
No amount of "explanation" will help. Either
(1) The game supports dedicated servers
or
(2) The game does not support dedicated servers.

It's that simple. There is no acceptable solution for a high population per server multiplayer FPS game that does not include dedicated servers. (P2P/matchmaking is fairly ok for low population per server, like in co-op games with 3-4 people.)

No amount of 'explanations' (ie PR speak) is going to fix the fact that P2P hosting is absolutely horrible for a high pop multiplayer FPS shooter game. No amount of magical miraculous coding on their part for IWnet will fix any of those issues, as multiplayer gaming is based upon network infrastructure supporting the internet that is out of IW's hands.

If it matters, I think all this uproar has forced Wal-Mart and Amazon to offer 20 dollar credits or gift cards. I don't know if this is normal for Wal-Mart to offer 20 dollar gift card for a pre-order of what could be the blockbuster game of the year. Amazon is supposedly offering 20 credits to people trying to cancel their pre-orders.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=11332037

If it matters, I think all this uproar has forced Wal-Mart and Amazon to offer 20 dollar credits or gift cards. I don't know if this is normal for Wal-Mart to offer 20 dollar gift card for a pre-order of what could be the blockbuster game of the year. Amazon is supposedly offering 20 credits to people trying to cancel their pre-orders.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=11332037

lol it's working. I think the powerful money hogs of the world have proof people are canceling orders and are now trying to buy them back with some of their crappy store shit.

We are seeing where this could end... Imagine no custom maps for your favorite FPS. Imagine having to always pay for more content (maps/weapons).

The Activision Douche in Chief has gone on record as wanting to exploit every IP on a yearly or bi-yearly basis. His wet dream is to kill the modding community and force everyone to buy DLC.

402 state that including both p2p and dedicated servers would bifurcate the community, but they are doing something even worse: turning pc gamers against console gamers and vice versa. I laugh every time I read a console gamer's asinine opinions about this not being a big deal or to suck it up and buy a console. They have no ideal how shitty their console FPSers are.

Last edited:
back in the day, when COD2 was released, it didn't have any anti-cheat program. So, there was a massive threat of shutting down servers by a group called CCA. I'll never forget that. They wanted an anticheat NOW.

People were buting and moaning and crying and all that. The same group is still around, but todays events don't need that group to lead for this is just instince as we kow as gamers the dedicated servers are freedom.

Last edited:
I've read some of the stuff that Kotick had to say earlier this year about his love of WoW because of its DLC and some of the things about MW2 multiplayer, in gerneral, I'd be a little concerned about excessive DLC on MW2 and CODs to come. Talk of being able to "upgrade" a perk for multiplayer (on all platforms) is just an example. I'm also wonder if the pc patches will be linked to the map packs like they have in the past and you would need to pay for the DLC to be able to get the patch.

Obviously, time will tell. At this venture though, I'd prefer to wait, regardless the platform, to see how things come out. Console users are used to paying for DLC, so I would think they might be easier to nickel and dime to death when it comes to an "upgradeable" perk. While I don't have a problem with paying for good DLC, I also regardless of platform don't want to pay for part of the game and then need to pay $5 or so here and there for things that inhibit the ranking up of my profile. I mean, they have already stripped any kind of LAN gameplay from all platforms. Sounds to me like they either want you to pay for an expensive singleplayer and if you want to play with your friend(s), its going to cost you.

It just reminds me of that survey from a few months ago on this forum from some university. One of the questions was something about paying something like $10 for the initial game and then buying the rest of the game in parts. I feel like that is where the companies are trying to push things with all gaming platforms. Sell me a demo and then make me pay 10x the initial cost to get full gameplay access.

I've been playing pc video games off and on for the past 13 years or so and even longer for consoles. I'm having a hard time right now quantifying this into a statement, and maybe some of you will know what I mean. I just feel like the definition of a game (console or pc) is in the process of changing into them being about the money and the game is only the ends to said means. :(

Steam forums are down as the pre order advert comes up for mw2.

http://store.steampowered.com/forums/

Steam forums are down. It's 10-22-09 at 11:06 eastern. All we see when we sign on Steam is this:

mmmqp.jpg

10:31 pm. Still plenty of people that don't know what happened to the pc version, buying mw2 off of STEAM with the forums down but want to check for advice but can't since the forums are shut off.

10:31 pm. Still plenty of people that don't know what happened to the pc version, buying mw2 off of STEAM with the forums down but want to check for advice but can't since the forums are shut off.

Heh, that wouldn't suprise me if that was done purposely. Afterall, this probably represents alot of money to Valve as well.

I've read some of the stuff that Kotick had to say earlier this year about his love of WoW because of its DLC and some of the things about MW2 multiplayer, in gerneral, I'd be a little concerned about excessive DLC on MW2 and CODs to come. Talk of being able to "upgrade" a perk for multiplayer (on all platforms) is just an example. I'm also wonder if the pc patches will be linked to the map packs like they have in the past and you would need to pay for the DLC to be able to get the patch.

Obviously, time will tell. At this venture though, I'd prefer to wait, regardless the platform, to see how things come out. Console users are used to paying for DLC, so I would think they might be easier to nickel and dime to death when it comes to an "upgradeable" perk. While I don't have a problem with paying for good DLC, I also regardless of platform don't want to pay for part of the game and then need to pay $5 or so here and there for things that inhibit the ranking up of my profile. I mean, they have already stripped any kind of LAN gameplay from all platforms. Sounds to me like they either want you to pay for an expensive singleplayer and if you want to play with your friend(s), its going to cost you.

It just reminds me of that survey from a few months ago on this forum from some university. One of the questions was something about paying something like $10 for the initial game and then buying the rest of the game in parts. I feel like that is where the companies are trying to push things with all gaming platforms. Sell me a demo and then make me pay 10x the initial cost to get full gameplay access.

I've been playing pc video games off and on for the past 13 years or so and even longer for consoles. I'm having a hard time right now quantifying this into a statement, and maybe some of you will know what I mean. I just feel like the definition of a game (console or pc) is in the process of changing into them being about the money and the game is only the ends to said means. :(

Yes dude, it's simple, this is the same sort of thing the RIAA was trying to do a few years back. With the whole rent a song concept. You buy the rights to use same item and not actually own anything. This is one of the reason I don't like to buy games through a DD. You don't own anything tangible. You can't seem a DD game which the devs/pubs love. i think it's every industries wet dream to use the so called rental concept and add as you go. Nickle and dime you to death like the shitty asian MMO's. In the end they have you on a fucking merry go round buyng so much little shit over the span of months/years you lost track of how much you have invested and you actually own nothing. Not even a lousy box with cover art and a dvd. Vote with your wallets people. Let them know this kind of shit won't fly. Do not buy this game untill or if they add dedi server support. Period the end.

[H] member boycott is down as well. Activision has deep pockets, they can bend any site to their will.

Speak with your wallets, it's just that simple.

Oh and
iwpcgamers.png

lol

How can you speak with your wallet if you don't know what's going on. You have to spread the word. Couple of big gaming review sites like ign.com has articles out though, so that's good.

[H] member boycott is down as well. Activision has deep pockets, they can bend any site to their will.

Im sure Kyle and Activision had a nice talk about how they can shut down a thread on a forum.

Diabolic bastards! :rolleyes:

Steam put a post on Facebook about the MW2 being available for pre-purchase So far there are 227 comments and 90% of those are from people stating they are going to boycott the PC version.

I've been watching the financial news hoping that maybe this will end up there. If investers start to get worried, maybe their stock will drop then they will listen. The money train works going the other way too.

Yes dude, it's simple, this is the same sort of thing the RIAA was trying to do a few years back. With the whole rent a song concept. You buy the rights to use same item and not actually own anything. This is one of the reason I don't like to buy games through a DD. You don't own anything tangible. You can't seem a DD game which the devs/pubs love. i think it's every industries wet dream to use the so called rental concept and add as you go. Nickle and dime you to death like the shitty asian MMO's. In the end they have you on a fucking merry go round buyng so much little shit over the span of months/years you lost track of how much you have invested and you actually own nothing. Not even a lousy box with cover art and a dvd. Vote with your wallets people. Let them know this kind of shit won't fly. Do not buy this game untill or if they add dedi server support. Period the end.

Yea, I've always thought that the download thing was cool. Maybe since I come from the older part of the generation that grew up on computers, I have a hard time not having a physical copy of a game/music though.

Good thing valve said that if steam goes down they will send out a physical copy of the games you own.

Steam put a post on Facebook about the MW2 being available for pre-purchase So far there are 227 comments and 90% of those are from people stating they are going to boycott the PC version.

People should be boycotting every version. A lot of people are making a big deal about the dedicated server files, and that is a BIG reason people are pissed off. I'm more annoyed with them trying to herd me into a proprietary service that will try to pry cash out of my pocket at every turn. The game is already overpriced, but they still want to rape my wallet for inane Gun skins, Cheesy Perks, and map packs that will be overpriced.

If only the console fans would wake the F up and realize that PC gaming was a free and open platform and that truly is why we get annoyed and angry when stuff like this happens. They are too busy laughing at PC gamers to realize how F'ed up the industry is right now with DLC. I can't even finish a game these days without some sort of DLC for a game I'm playing being announced. We're always chasing the carrot. For once can't we just buy the stinking carrot, eat it, and be full for a little while.

I don't think a lot of them know lan play is gone from the console. I've seen a few pissed about that already.

Lol on steam the preorder for mw2 is 89.99USD in Australia. It's like the really don't want us to buy their game

Lol on steam the preorder for mw2 is 89.99USD in Australia. It's like the really don't want us to buy their game

Ouch! That calculates as £50 or $83 US Dollars. Terrible rip off.

£35 here in the UK on Steam, which is a lot of money for a single player campaign. More chance of hell freezing over than me buying this one.

Wow this is truly a tragedy in every possible way. I stopped being a Call of Duty fan after the second one, but to see things that we had come to grow and love in the PC Gaming arena just vanish like this from a big title with nothing more than a professional F-U... Is just very upsetting. :(

Back