MW2, No Dedicated Servers, PB, 9v9 limit, leaning, etc etc

I'll be spending my $60 elsewhere (Borderlands anyone?), congrats on losing a loyal customer. It's almost remarkable how out of touch IW is with the PC community.

Guess profits from consoles are their main concern now.

I was really looking forward to a new tactical shooter on the PC. I played the shit out of BF2 and CSS. I got burned out on the genre after that and completely ignored MW1. In the meantime I've been really enjoying TF2. If you're a PC FPS gamer, you've simply got to be a Valve fanboy at this point, especially given this news.

My burnout has subsided and I was ready to jump back in with MW2. But now the game is DOA. Sure, the single player experience is fun, but it's also short and lacks replay value given its mega-scripted nature. If the main campaign included true co-op, that could add some replay value, but IW apparently can't figure out how to make true co-op work in their games.

Valve has all the right infrastructure and knowledge to make something good happen. They should release a multiplayer-only PC FPS based on the Source engine. Include the modern features that are needed and it would be a great thing for Valve and PC gamers. I think I will sell them this idea for a million bucks.

COD is, was, and never will be a tactical shooter. I do not know where you're getting the impression that it is.

And yay, another Valve online shooter based on a six-year-old graphics engine is exactly what PC gaming needs. :rolleyes:

As someone that games a lot on both the xbox360 and PC, matchmaking is a joke. I was hoping to see dedicated servers make there way to the console more. Instead we get the opposite. Lag, host advantage, quitters and host abusers are terrible on P2P connections. And I don't see why a quick join feature can't be added to dedicated servers, much like matchmaking, where it picks the server for you based on ping, and your skill level for novice players.

Sad day for PC gaming. Add me to the list of never purchasing this game.

I happen to think opf2 is about 5 times more fun and smoother running than that abortion arma2.

One thing I don't get, how does playing on a listen server with matchmaking change anything for cheaters, exactly?

One thing I don't get, how does playing on a listen server with matchmaking change anything for cheaters, exactly?

I think, what IW is doing is saying that PB sucked and look, now we have VAC for an anticheat software. Aslo, I think that dedicated servers, if they wanted to could turn off PB or just cheat on their own server by whatever means and when noobs cme in they got destroyed and wondered why.

IW are saying everyone will play under the same umbrella of anticheat.

Lol. The amount of people mad over this game, in this thread...is awesome. Amazing how a PC game developer can make a small group people get so mad...and then get even more mad by claiming said developer doesnt care about you guys. Lol. Id say vote with your wallet, but you whiners are such an insignificant percentage compared to how many people will buy this game.

Ill be buying it...likely for 360 and PC, and ill be enjoying it on both.

Comapnies don't need an excuse to stop making games for the PC. They can do so anytime they please. IW did not even have to make MW2 for the PC. Ya it stinks they got rid of dedicated servers but what do you expect from a company that now favors consoles.

I expect to buy fewer of their products.

I could care less about the dedicated servers, I've always played CoD games for their single player anyway. I'm simply tired of PC gamers being an after thought.

I think, what IW is doing is saying that PB sucked and look, now we have VAC for an anticheat software. Aslo, I think that dedicated servers, if they wanted to could turn off PB or just cheat on their own server by whatever means and when noobs cme in they got destroyed and wondered why.

IW are saying everyone will play under the same umbrella of anticheat.

It is freaking easy to fix with deticated servers. RANKED SERVER FROM TRUSTED GSP! Just like, gasp! BF2! Or hell if you mod the server it is not listed on the matchmaker. It is not that hard to fit everything they want with everything we want. But yet they do not.. why? DLC

It is freaking easy to fix with deticated servers. RANKED SERVER FROM TRUSTED GSP! Just like, gasp! BF2! Or hell if you mod the server it is not listed on the matchmaker. It is not that hard to fit everything they want with everything we want. But yet they do not.. why? DLC

that doesnt make sense unless they plan on actually charging for the DLC (pc) this time around. The same DLC that people on xbox and ps3 had to pay for, was free w/a patch for the PC community

that doesnt make sense unless they plan on actually charging for the DLC (pc) this time around. The same DLC that people on xbox and ps3 had to pay for, was free w/a patch for the PC community

They do plan for charging for PC DLC, they have unashamedly stated this numerous times now.

but yes, Fry's did refund my friend's cash ..

I suppose everyone has a right to get a refund since the game has fundamentally changed within 3 weeks of release. When I think about it IW / Activision have been very sly in keeping this quiet so long.

I am not a COD fan, but Grant Collier is the type of guy I want making my games damnit.

Maybe it got lost in all the signal-to-noise I skimmed through, but: has anybody at Infinity Ward said anything specific with regards to the matchmaking system they want/intend to implement apart from "Dedicated servers bad! P2P pretty!"? (Not bashing, asking seriously: maybe I've just been looking in the wrong places, but I haven't seen anything from them about exactly what the heck they're doing.)

Last edited:
Collier talking more sense in this interview. http://www.gamespot.com/pages/news/story.php?sid=6172634&part=rss&subj=6172634

GS AU: Call of Duty 4 is coming out for the 360 and for PCs. Why did you decide not to include Live cross-platform functionality?

GC: We got a call from Microsoft who said they want us to do Live Anywhere for CoD 4. They just left a message--we didn’t actually get the phone call. We talked about it, and really feel that we worked really hard on the Xbox 360 version, and there’s a lot of things that we do that we didn’t do for the PC because of the control you have with a mouse and keyboard which allows you to have a higher level of precision. When you are on the 360, you have auto-aim, and you have a movement compensator so when you’re getting close to the edge of the screen it moves really quickly, but when you’re in the middle of the screen it slows down so you can target. We don’t do that on the PC.

When someone is playing on the Xbox against another player, he knows that they have the same hardware and the same controller--the only advantage is skill. On the PC side, you never know what the guy is playing with. He can have an archaic machine, or he could set his settings low, or he could be using the lowest form of DirectX. He can have all of the graphic bells and whistles turned off, or can have a dual core machine, or a quad core, multiple video cards--he can have a lot of advantages, and there’s not an equal playing field.

I think Live Anywhere is great for certain games, like Poker or Tetris or something. But, realistically, for first-person shooters or real-time strategy games, trying to pit those two people together is inherently imbalanced. Anytime someone playing an RTS can click and drag and choose a whole bunch of units and select one of your buildings to blow it up, and you’re sitting there with a controller, you’re not going to have the same reaction time. So why pit those two against each other?

I think Live is a great idea and it’s good for certain games, but Call of Duty isn’t one of those games.

Making a level playing field...yeah right. They want us to pay for DLC. That's the bottom line.

Makes sense to me. If I had the 360 version, I wouldn't like getting owned by people on PC, and if I had PC, I wouldn't want all the console targeting changes that had to be put in. Plus, this statement makes it pretty clear they consider MW2 a console game first. People just need to accept this fact. It's not a PC shooter anymore, it's a console port.

Still, there are people on 360 using auto-fire controllers, wired controllers, and that new MW2 licensed controller which has buttons on the udnerside so you don't have to take your thumbs off the sticks to reload.

Maybe it got lost in all the signal-to-noise I skimmed through, but: has anybody at Infinity Ward said anything specific with regards to the matchmaking system they want/intend to implement apart from "Dedicated servers bad! P2P pretty!"?
http://www.fourzerotwo.com/?p=745#respond

It's all rubbish PR-speak though, ignoring the key point that games will be hosted on one guy's crappy internet connection, leading to the typical P2P problems of host advantage, host abuse, laggy games, variable latency, host quitting, no user content, no mods, forced to pay for maps/DLC, no clan-servers, no 20man servers, killing competitive play/promods etc etc. Their "advantages" of their matchmaking system just not PR-speak, but almost all inaccurate.

That interview is from CoD4, before IW sold their soul. There's a lot of interviews from back then where IW demonstrates its common sense when developing for PC.

Considering they are now under new management (all orders probably coming straight from Bobby Satan Kotick himself), those interviews are pretty much irrelevant towards the current situation today.

Thank you, Drexion.

<reads> Yeah, the little tidbit of who actually hosts what is completely missing from that--no real details on what this IW.net actually does, apart from (in theory) the matchmaking itself. So there's still no honest-to-God "See, we saw it do this!" stuff from anybody out there in reviewer-userland, I imagine (and with only three weeks to go until release, that's not reassuring at all)?

Should I just finally go buy CoD4 (yup, never did) and wait until the review dust settles?

Cheat / Hack Free Games: Translation for the slow..

The biggest benefit of using IWnet, is that we will make millions on DLC, we made $45 million from PS3/xbox dlc on WAW, imagine how big the corporate bonus will be from this one.

In this NPD analysis, part of our monthly extended look at U.S. console retail sales, Gamasutra examines DLC for Activision's Call Of Duty: World At War, calculating that the average WaW game owner has spent $9 on DLC, taking average sales per customer to $65.

Including sales since August 2009, we expect that World at War map packs have now reached nearly 7 million units worldwide. Assuming that 65% of those sales were inside the U.S. at $10 each, we estimate that Activision Blizzard could have realized an additional $45 million in revenue on top of retail sales of Call of Duty: World at War on just the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=25743

I think the funniest/most sad thing about this game is that its going to use VAC.

Even if there were dedicated servers IDK if I would play it due to that garbage

after what happened with demi-god i understand any move any or steps a publishe or devloper takes to combat piracy, no matter how annoying.
Making the game require steam is the only measure needed. Sorry but you failed.

after what happened with demi-god i understand any move any or steps a publishe or devloper takes to combat piracy, no matter how annoying.
Except most "casual" people who whine about hackers are complaining about players with skill and who they have no comprehension of anyone being that much better than them. I played CS for like 8 years, trust me i saw this constantly.

And they are using VAC, that service is DEFINITELY awesome at stopping hackers. Yup thats it.

Sad day for PC gaming. Add me to the list of never purchasing this game.
Its not a sad day, really. It more or less leave an open market for someone to develop a shooter, probably a company that cares more about its fanbase than IW does.

Making a level playing field...yeah right. They want us to pay for DLC. That's the bottom line.

How does eliminating dedicated servers relate to having to pay for DLC? If the server has DLC in the form of maps and you don't, you don't get to play on that server. With guns and such it should be less of a problem.

I have a feeling there's going to be a lot of waiting around for games to start with MW2.

This game is starting to stink of console port. Buyer beware.

Why not mention Riddick Dark Athena, it had great anti-piracy protection. It was so good not even people who bought the game could play. Is that what you want?

Notice Stardock hasn't changed their position on piracy. And everything is working fine now.

How's Dark Athena doing nowadays?

Besides this isn't going to stop Modern Warfare 2 from being pirated. It will however cost them at least 100,000 sales or more. And the long term sales benefits from having an active community of clans and modders. Notice how COD4 is still selling for $39.99 after almost two years because it's still a popular game. Modern Warfare 2 won't be able to keep it's price as high. I expect to see it in the bargain bin long before that.

Notice Stardock hasn't changed their position on piracy. And everything is working fine now.
Their games have been best sellers on PC for 2 months straight and make continuous sales years afterwards, piracy is NOT a problem with PC gaming unless you make garbage that you quickly abandon after release.

I'm still buying, mostly because I don't care at ALL about dedicated servers. I buy the COD games for SP. The only MP I've ever played was Nazi Zombies on PC, and not having a ded. server works best for that anyway.

except this is a different developer than WAW so it probably wont have anyhting like nazi zombies

Who buys COD for SP? You pay $60 for a bad dolph lundgren B movie that lasts no more than 30 minutes?

except this is a different developer than WAW so it probably wont have anyhting like nazi zombies

Who buys COD for SP? You pay $60 for a bad dolph lundgren B movie that lasts no more than 30 minutes?

Yep. It's fun, has a neat experience, and I get to shoot things for 4-6 hours and complete something, then try again on the hardest difficulty for a challenge. Get done and put it down, and move on to the next game. It's my couch game, as I play on 360.

I played COD4 to death. In single player. I played MP twice, and was bored to tears.

If I'm playing MP, I play TF2 or L4D or NZ, or DOW2.

I played COD4 to death. In single player. I played MP twice, and was bored to tears.

Given how poor the MP experience is on console I can't blame you.

How does eliminating dedicated servers relate to having to pay for DLC? If the server has DLC in the form of maps and you don't, you don't get to play on that server. With guns and such it should be less of a problem.

It relates because you don't get to pick which server to play on, and all the servers are belong to IW, which means they will update them all with a DLC, then where are you doing to go? there are no servers..... so if you want to play online you will be forced to pay up.

Right now, if they release a DLC you can buy it OR if you don't want to you can just hit "refresh" on the servers list and connect to a server of your game version. Right now the DLC and all the updates are in the hands of admins and the community, if they like it, they will upgrade to it, in MW2, IW will have the ball all the time and do whatever they want with it.

It relates because you don't get to pick which server to play on, and all the servers are belong to IW, which means they will update them all with a DLC, then where are you doing to go? there are no servers..... so if you want to play online you will be forced to pay up.
you are making the assumption that this will work like dedicated servers.

This will more or less work like left 4 dead, so you will play with people whose maps owned is the same as yours.

The whole concept that you know of as servers doesn't apply to this.

Back