MW2, No Dedicated Servers, PB, 9v9 limit, leaning, etc etc

Here is a link to sign a petition, if you want:

http://www.petitiononline.com/...rl...titiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?dedis4mw

Everyone should, in the gaming community should take a stance against this issue. Just because nothing is effecting the console player today, does not mean that something will not happen in the future to you. All of us should stand against this issue together.

Please don’t be short sighted and sign the petition, its always about the money.

Nice article:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=225744&site=pcg

Thanks

Petition has broken the 100,000 mark already. Quite an amazing response

I just got back from gamestop, canceled my 360 ultimate edition thingy preorder. Paid off Forza 3 with the refund.

Gotta hit them in the pocketbook, petitions only do so much.

I just got back from gamestop, canceled my 360 ultimate edition thingy preorder. Paid off Forza 3 with the refund.

Gotta hit them in the pocketbook, petitions only do so much.

That is a big chunk of change to lose ( part in bold ).

man... 100k is a lot...

it means 100 000 people understand what is going on. Make it 50% of those who actually boycott the game.

50000 x 50$ = 2 500 000$

thats a shitload of money

I planned on getting this game around release but now I think I will probably wait and see how things unfold. I would much rather wait and see how the game turns out after a couple of patches/updates. There are other games coming out the same time as MW2 so they now become a higher priority.

I planned on getting this game around release but now I think I will probably wait and see how things unfold. I would much rather wait and see how the game turns out after a couple of patches/updates. There are other games coming out the same time as MW2 so they now become a higher priority.

Im in the same exact boat as you. Borderlands has taken over in that area.

man... 100k is a lot...

it means 100 000 people understand what is going on. Make it 50% of those who actually boycott the game.

50000 x 50$ = 2 500 000$

thats a shitload of money
You forget 2 things.

First, the game is $60, not $50. $10 difference adds up to a lot multiplied by thousands, if not millions of people.

Second, people tell their friends, who tell their friends, and so on. Based on that, I'm willing to bet that pre-order cancellations is greater than or equal to the amount of people who signed that petition. There's an old sales motto that says for every good customer experience, you might gain 2 more customers, but for every bad experience you will lose 10. IW has to look at it that way to conceptualize the worst case scenario.

So based on that logic, IW is losing > $6 million dollars in potential revenue and counting.

You forget 2 things.

First, the game is $60, not $50. $10 difference adds up to a lot multiplied by thousands, if not millions of people.

Second, people tell their friends, who tell their friends, and so on. Based on that, I'm willing to bet that pre-order cancellations is greater than or equal to the amount of people who signed that petition. There's an old sales motto that says for every good customer experience, you might gain 2 more customers, but for every bad experience you will lose 10. IW has to look at it that way to conceptualize the worst case scenario.

So based on that logic, IW is losing > $6 million dollars in potential revenue and counting.

yeah... i went for a price based on deals at the release.

i wanted to be ''safe'' in my estimation like a good accountant i am

So, given that Activision/IW doesn't change their decision on this now or with the next release, anyone with me thinking this is the end of the COD series?

So, given that Activision/IW doesn't change their decision on this now or with the next release, anyone with me thinking this is the end of the COD series?

Nope.

Activision will milk the shit out of this franchise you can be sure

Has this been posted? IW's official response:
gameinformer said:
Modern Warfare fansite bashandslash.com recently reported that Infinity Ward is removing dedicated server functionality from Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. With dedicated servers and the server browser that comes with them replaced with custom-built matchmaking, PC gamers will have an online experience functionally identical to console players. Among other things, this means that clans can't run their own servers with their own mods and rulesets for their own private (or public, if they feel like crushing some scrubs for giggles) use.

Predictably, nerds across world took to the Internet with a wailing and a gnashing of teeth that would make the Left 4 Dead community proud. An online petition to bring back dedicated servers at the time of this writing stands at 100,000+ signatures. However -- and this may shock some gamers with advanced persecution complexes -- this move was not made to tweak the noses of the PC community. Infinity Ward heads Jason West and Vince Zampella explain the decision as a conscious effort to improve their game for the vast majority of their players.

"We're just prioritizing the player experience above the modders and the tuners," says West. He points toward the mounting feedback IW has received from PC fans of Modern Warfare who couldn't find a decent server to play on between all of the cheaters, the insular communities, and huge skill level disparities that the original game's community fractured into. "We thought maybe it would be cool if the fans could play the game," he laughs.

IW says that gameplay concerns for the majority of MW2 players are the overriding reasons for the decision. Zampella downplays the obvious piracy prevention angle (IW has cited numbers of people online playing illegal copies of Modern Warfare up to 60 percent). "The Steam stuff helps with the piracy. I don't know that the matchmaking stuff does," he notes. West takes a shot at the motives behind some of the outrage, noting that there's money to made by selling dedicates servers and adspace on them: "It's a little dubious. Some of the people complaining are complaining with their pocketbook."

Again and again during our conversation, West and Zampella hammer the point that hardcore PC players lose very little to this change relative to the returns that casual to moderate fans will see. Clans can set up private matches to do their training or what have you; all they lose is the ability to customize the game on a deeper level with mods and such. Infinity Ward sees the addition of solid matchmaking and community support like IW-run tournaments to the PC as a huge win, and not something that could be done under the old system.

Why not have both? West does not want to include dedicated servers alongside the custom-built backend, stating that it would just "bifurcate the community."

I'm suprised iw hasn't changed their stance. I'm pretty sure at some point soon we'll here them say they are adding server support. I mean really at this point they have a lot to gain by doing so with very little downside. The customer is always right and these customers want dedicated servers. So wtf is the problem?

I still don't understand why they can't implement both the matchmaking service and dedicated servers. IW doesn't even have to host any dedicated servers, that would all be taken care of by fans.

All they have to do is implement 2 different menu options, and the code for the server browser from COD4. NOT THAT FRICKIN HARD. They could have the dedicated server download package done in a couple short weeks.

I still don't understand why they can't implement both the matchmaking service and dedicated servers. IW doesn't even have to host any dedicated servers, that would all be taken care of by fans.

All they have to do is implement 2 different menu options, and the code for the server browser from COD4. NOT THAT FRICKIN HARD. They could have the dedicated server download package done in a couple short weeks.

I agree with you and IW could have done this. I think the reason they don't want dedicated servers is because they want to charge people for extra content. If there's a million private servers running a million different mods,user created maps, and various hacks, then theres no reason people will pay for DLC. They haven't said this is the reason why they did it, and I doubt they ever will. Just consider that Activision has a history of using very aggressive marketing designs in games and I think IW is under enormous pressure to make their publisher happy.

This right here. I don't understand why iw doesn't want to implement both. I mean all of a sidden they are worried about the gameplay experience for the casual player? Que? Their casual players are playing on the Lolconsoles. How about the lag and shitty pings their players will experience? This smells like bullshit to me.

Not sure if this was posted:

http://www.fourzerotwo.com/?p=745

fourzerotwo said:
I recently broke news on a PC community member’s podcast that Modern Warfare 2 would be introducing a completely new backend infastructure called IWNET that would allow matchmaking for multiplayer games on PC. The news, by default, means no more browsing through a Server List for a server with the settings / ping you want among other things, and sent shockwaves through the hardcore PC community, leading to many more questions than answers as to ‘HOW’ this would work, and if it would really be better for the PC community as a whole.

Questions, assumptions, and speculation I intend to dispel.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 is actually the biggest investment Infinity Ward has ever made into the PC version of our games. It’s also the most feature-rich PC version we’ve ever made. IWNET takes the benefits of dedicated servers and allows them to be utilized and accessed by every player, out of the box, while removing the barrier to entry for players unaware of how to maintain a server on their own.

How does it do this?

Matchmaking & Smoother Gameplay: When you want to player a multiplayer game on PC, in the past. You’d have to scroll through a Server Browser which listed every available server which was hosted by individual server admins. Each had their own private rules, mods, or ways of playing the game. Most players would also use the server browser to find just the best quality game (based on PING). With IWNET matchmaking, it takes all that into account for you. All you have to do is select the playlist (pre-set gametypes with custom rules) that fits the style of play you are in the mood for. When you do, it will automatically find you a game with the best performance, ping, and preferences based on your location and individual connection as well as matching you with players of your same SKILL. So you’re always guaranteed the best game performance for where you are and what connection you’re playing on as well as an equal game with other players of your same skill level, not rank, but skill level. It doesn’t mean you’ll just be thrown into a random game! It will put you in the game that will give you the smoothest gameplay possible without you having to manually find a server with the best ping.

Playlists and Private Matches: As I described above, Playlists are pre-set game modes and gametypes for public games. If you just want to jump into a public game of Search and Destroy or Hardcore Search and Destroy and you don’t care about fully customizing it, then you can utilize playlists to do that quickly for you. However, say you’re in a clan and you want to play a Clan match with another team, or you want to practice for an upcoming tournament that has specific rules in a private game. Then you can start a Private Match (which is essentially like running your own private server) where you have complete control over the rules, who can join, boot players you don’t want, and essentially control the entire game or tweak it to your liking. Once the rules are set, you can invite the other team in or just start it up with your clan to practice with the custom rules before the match. This now allows you to play custom games out of the box without the need to install mods, find a modded server with the rules you like, or worry about not being in control of the match.

Party System and Friendslist: Modern Warfare 2 on PC also makes it much easier if you want to party up with your friends, or again, with your clan for a match. You can utilize the friendslist to see when your friends are online, and invite them to your Party. A Party allows you to move from game to game as a group. It’s great for clan matches, because you can party of with your clan and move from public game to public game together. Or if you’re doing a scrim, party up and invite the other clan (who is in a party) and they’ll all join at once. Set up a private match together and play. It makes setting up scrims or games with friends easier and hassle free.

Cheat / Hack Free Games: The biggest benefit of using IWnet by far is the fact that you don’t have to worry about joining a server full of aim-bots, wallhacks, or cheaters. Or relying on the server admin of the server to constantly be monitoring, banning, and policing it. Modern Warfare 2 on PC allows us to control the quality of the game much more than ever before as well as utilizing the VAC (Valve-Anti-Cheat) system to keep games clean of hackers and cheaters.

All in all, IWNET adds a load of new features that the PC version of our games have never had before and allows us an infrastructure to continue to update and improve on the game post-launch.

Who wants to bet that IGN still gives the PC version a 9.5 review and carbon copies the PR bullshit IW is spouting? (All while running huge banners and ads for the game all over the site)

I wouldn't call that thier "Official response". It's more like a quick answer to a media writer's question. Its a quick quote in a GI blog with no citation or reference.

FourZeroTwo said on twitter that it was their official response. Then he wrote what Gaiden133 wrote above.

I'm still not buying it. As long as the severs are hosted on one persons machine, it will be lag city.

I hope it is better than L4D matchmaking system that I keep seeing IW.Net being compaired to. I can try to get on a quick match in L4D and have ping times of 300+ms. Drop out, go to CS:S or CoD4 and get on servers with ping times of under 50ms. This is what online matchmaking does to me most times I try to play online in a random match.

What I don't understand is why alienate your customers like this. There are a number of studies out there on how to create a successful online community and why it is important, but IW seems to be ignoring that. It just makes no good sense to me.

I like how 402 pretty much glazed over the fact that these will indeed be user hosted matches. He completely sidesteps the fact that regardless of what they try, a lot of these games will end up getting hosted by Billy Ray Bob on a flaky net connection and a slow computer in the middle of nowhere.

I am so, so sick of companies locking down their products! I was just about to place a pre-order for MW2, but now I won't bother. They're not getting $10 more than I paid for CoD4 for flipping the bird to their community because they can't compete with it.

And you know what? I won't feel sorry for them if MW2 ends up being pirated like crazy.

The poster a couple of posts up nailed it. It's all about money and DLC.

NEWSFLASH you stupid turds, we LIKE searching through a server list, having community mods, and different rules on different servers.

They raise the price of the game, and they are trying to ensure more money from DLC.

L4D's match making system sucks a ton of ass, and that's why I never play it.

If this is all true, then not only will I NOT buy the game, and not only will I just pirate it for me (so they lose money), I will pass it around to as many people as I can!

Im as so much so an average pc gamer, not hardcore, never really pirates anything, but guess what, this type of thing pisses me off so much I'm going to try and be part of whatever group teaches them a very hard lesson.

Those greedy fucks.

So instead of having a lot of different servers with different mods and rules you only get one way to play... great.

so their is dedicated servers?

NO and again NO NO NO, there is no dedi servers for MW2. ATVI just gave a big F U to the pc community. ATVI and IW just told the PC side to fuck off.

Thats what it means.

Admins and Mods I am truly sorry but please understand how pissed we all are at this point.

ATVI and IW can goto hell and ya here is a big FUCK YOU back. Backstabbing mofo's,.....

I can understand the outrage, as their move was uncalled for. There is no way the PC community will let them shove this shit down their throat without backlash. I can see this being one of the most pirated games, because only thing they offer is basically very short single player to the PC community. This is going to cost them dearly in a long run, but hey, it's their choice. Thanks for saving me some money.

402 said:
Playlists and Private Matches: As I described above, Playlists are pre-set game modes and gametypes for public games. If you just want to jump into a public game of Search and Destroy or Hardcore Search and Destroy and you don’t care about fully customizing it, then you can utilize playlists to do that quickly for you. However, say you’re in a clan and you want to play a Clan match with another team, or you want to practice for an upcoming tournament that has specific rules in a private game. Then you can start a Private Match (which is essentially like running your own private server) where you have complete control over the rules, who can join, boot players you don’t want, and essentially control the entire game or tweak it to your liking. Once the rules are set, you can invite the other team in or just start it up with your clan to practice with the custom rules before the match. This now allows you to play custom games out of the box without the need to install mods, find a modded server with the rules you like, or worry about not being in control of the match.

Oh yes; that's going to work well for competitive or even recreational teams. One team with a player with 0 ping; the rest with 1-200. Matchmaking is fine and the things they are setting up sound like they would work; but not as the sole option for gamers. P2P gaming does not and will not work on the PC.

"All in all, IWNET adds a load of new features that the PC version of our games have never had before and allows us an infrastructure to continue to update and improve on the game post-launch."

The bolded part translates to: "allows us an infrastructure to sell you maps, skins, perks, etc on a micro-transaction basis to milk as much money out of our customers as possible."

This will add no benefits that did not exist in another form in CoD4. It will, however, add a whole pile of new headaches. Server size will shrink, pings will sky-rocket and I will shelve the game fast.

I will not purchase this game until it reaches $10 or less for the single-player alone. If it takes more than a year for that to happen I'll just never play it. Over $150 of my money has gone into Call of Duty games. They will not see another penny from me.

Back