MW2, No Dedicated Servers, PB, 9v9 limit, leaning, etc etc

You know, i wouldn't be surprised if they are paving the way for monthly subscription online play just like WoW. I mean besides DLC and all the other "goodies". You want to play our new shiny Modern Warfare 3? "We're going to go out of our way to make it a great experience for our PC users with just a few minor changes, like 70 bucks for the game, and only 15 bucks a month to play online, believe me, IW.net is going to be worth it. You wouldn't want it any other way" :rolleyes:

"All in all, IWNET adds a load of new features that the PC version of our games have never had before and allows us an infrastructure to continue to update and improve on the game post-launch."

The bolded part translates to: "allows us an infrastructure to sell you maps, skins, perks, etc on a micro-transaction basis to milk as much money out of our customers as possible."

This will add no benefits that did not exist in another form in CoD4. It will, however, add a whole pile of new headaches. Server size will shrink, pings will sky-rocket and I will shelve the game fast.

I will not purchase this game until it reaches $10 or less for the single-player alone. If it takes more than a year for that to happen I'll just never play it. Over $150 of my money has gone into Call of Duty games. They will not see another penny from me.

well fucking said. the single player i would not buy this game for and i pray to god this game fails on its fucking face. stupid IW. we fucking made you famous you back stabbing whore

Geeze, do they think that marketing speak really works? Rephrasing himself was obviously the wrong way to go there. Giving a speal like that to people who already understand the issue was just insulting.

Geeze, do they think that marketing speak really works? Rephrasing himself was obviously the wrong way to go there. Giving a speal like that to people who already understand the issue was just insulting.
That's exactly what I was thinking. They have gotten too accustomed to console kids eating up whatever nonsensical PR garbage they spew. Too bad for them the average PC user can see through all the marketing gibberish for what it really means.

I actually am warming up to the idea of paying for maps and not allowing mods. When you pay for maps it means you get higher quality maps. When the community releases maps, they might not be up to a high standard that a professional studio can produce. Also, mods are annoying because you have to download them, and a lot of times they make the game different. Furthermore, I like the idea of a matchmaking system because it means that hardcore players won't be able to mess up the experience by actually knowing how to play a game properly. In conclusion, I think that Infinity Ward is doing the right thing for the community by charging for maps and cracking down on mods and hardcore players.

/sarcasm

seriously, I don't know how IW could expect anyone to eat this bullshit up. this is apparently the line of thinking they'd like us to all share.

Last edited:
I actually am warming up to the idea of paying for maps and not allowing mods. When you pay for maps it means you get higher quality maps. When the community releases maps, they might not be up to a high standard that a professional studio can produce. Also, mods are annoying because you have to download them, and a lot of times they make the game different. Furthermore, I like the idea of a matchmaking system because it means that hardcore players won't be able to mess up the experience by actually knowing how to play a game properly. In conclusion, I think that Infinity Ward is doing the right thing for the community by charging for maps and cracking down on mods and hardcore players.

I hope this was written with a high dose of sarcasm.

You don't need a professional studio to create phenomenal maps. In fact, most games take community maps and make them official (i.e. Counter-Strike and Team Fortress 2).

...and the best thing is, you can do all this with 200 ping, connected to a 12 year old’s 512kb DSL line, and when his mommy makes him turn off the game, you’ll disconnect.

I can understand the outrage, as their move was uncalled for. There is no way the PC community will let them shove this shit down their throat without backlash. I can see this being one of the most pirated games, because only thing they offer is basically very short single player to the PC community. This is going to cost them dearly in a long run, but hey, it's their choice. Thanks for saving me some money.

Pirating it because there are no dedicated servers is a weak excuse. If plan to play it, they should buy it.

...and the best thing is, you can do all this with 200 ping, connected to a 12 year old’s 512kb DSL line, and when his mommy makes him turn off the game, you’ll disconnect.

I highly suspect MW2 will hide user's ping from ever being seen. So even when you are rocking that 285 ping to someone in Manitoba, you will get a shiny green bar labelled "Connection Status" to convince you that everything is OK.

Hopefully they include a system to rapidly switch game hosts in <500ms. If the whole game chokes up for 3 seconds while the host ALT+TABs or gets a Windows popup message that chokes the game, its not going to be good for anyone involved... At least with consoles doing P2P games, all of the consoles are capable of being the hosts and its just a matter of the connection holding up. On PCs, I suspect a lot of people have PCs that are barely capable of running the SP game without choking, not even factoring in the added demand of hosting other players in an online match.

No offense to anyone in Manitoba :D

Last edited:

cracking down on mods? You've got to be joking. Mods and user created content have been a boon to every PC gaming community that every had the ability to use them. Some of the most beloved PC games started out as mods. You strike me as someone who has no interest in playing PC games at all.

Their response is complete bullshit. 60% playing cracked copies of CoD4 multiplayer? EVERYONE I know that has the game has it legit. Wonder how much buddy got paid to write this article.

"The Steam stuff helps with the piracy. I don't know that the matchmaking stuff does..."

Then why is he talking? Jesus.

Last edited:
Pirating it because there are no dedicated servers is a weak excuse. If plan to play it, they should buy it.

Now that you mention it, i can see that i used wrong words to get my point across. No, nobody should pirate the game, if you don't want to support them, don't buy or play it at all. What i meant is that people are going to do it now more out of spite/hurt feelings/insert whatever you think fits the description, than because thy really want to play.

It's remarkable how much noise is being created over this issue and how much of it is NOT relevant to the issue at hand. I haven't been quite keeping track of all the different official statements and all the player response, but it seems to me that a large portion of the response from both players and IW are not addressing the core issue.

Basically, my problem is this:

I can live with player matchmaking (barely...), I can't live without dedicated servers.

Yes, I would MUCH prefer to not have matchmaking and instead have a server browser that has been in place since COD or have one like Steam. But... I could manage without it. What I cannot live without, however, are dedicated servers. Part of the reason why I don't play multiplayer games on consoles is because of this very reason. In fact, it is probably, singularly, the only reason why I don't own a console.

The response I've seen from IW doesn't seem to address this issue. I couldn't give a rat's ass about what a great "equalizer" player matchmaking will be. What I do care about, is that the server I'm playing in won't be a laggy piece of shit.

I've seen some responses here and there from people responding to this issue with remarks like "Well, consoles don't have dedicated servers and we do just fine. Stop crying, you're all playing like we do now." This COMPLETELY misses the point. What people who play consoles and share this sort of opinion should be thinking is "Why the fuck don't we have dedicated servers for consoles?". Seriously.

http://www.fourzerotwo.com/?p=745

Trust me it's all about ping and playability to me.

However, say you’re in a clan and you want to play a Clan match with another team, or you want to practice for an upcoming tournament that has specific rules in a private game. Then you can start a Private Match (which is essentially like running your own private server) where you have complete control over the rules, who can join, boot players you don’t want, and essentially control the entire game or tweak it to your liking.X

WHAT ABOUT THE PING, it's like he has no clue.

Jesus christ IW has no fucking clue. Not a clue.

I really hope we are all encouraging our friends to not spend a dime on anything IW has their hand in.

He just doesn't think most players will notice pings of 300 and host advantage. He's too mentally slow to notice the difference, so he doesn't think the majority will notice either. After all consoles players suck it down, without complaint.

Honestly, I think IW knows how fucking stupid this is. It's more likely that Activision corporate is forcing them to do this and anyone who speaks out against it loses their job. In fact I'm sure of this. IW has made some good shit in the past and if anyone knows PC gaming, it's them.

Activision is more evil than EA was 2 years ago. (and now EA doesn't seem so bad, weird how times change)

"We're just prioritizing the player experience above the modders and the tuners," says West. He points toward the mounting feedback IW has received from PC fans of Modern Warfare who couldn't find a decent server to play on between all of the cheaters, the insular communities, and huge skill level disparities that the original game's community fractured into. "We thought maybe it would be cool if the fans could play the game," he laughs.

Umm, I rarely ran into a server with cheaters, if I did encounter one, the cheater/hacker was banned swiftly. Where do these idiots get their information? Surely the mindless morons sending them messages crying about not being able to play aren't that proliferant.

Honestly, I think IW knows how fucking stupid this is. It's more likely that KOTICK has no idea how to run a gaming company and wishes to drive Activision into the ground with every decree he makes.

FTFY

"We're just prioritizing the player experience above the modders and the tuners," says West. He points toward the mounting feedback IW has received from PC fans of Modern Warfare who couldn't find a decent server to play on between all of the cheaters, the insular communities, and huge skill level disparities that the original game's community fractured into. "We thought maybe it would be cool if the fans could play the game," he laughs.

Umm, I rarely ran into a server with cheaters, if I did encounter one, the cheater/hacker was banned swiftly. Where do these idiots get their information? Surely the mindless morons sending them messages crying about not being able to play aren't that proliferant.

I'm willing to bet a grand total of zero people sent them messages crying about not being able to play.

They are making up the facts that are most convenient to them, and the console fans are eating it up like candy. Plain and simple.

its like any other corporate decisions. first bean counters in an office somewhere plotted out the expected profit benefit from selling X number of map/mod packs for $Y each, and made sure that ends up being a bigger dollar value than expected lost revenue from removing dedicated servers. then once the management team has determined that this move will keep their wallets full, pr mouthpieces (like 402) pretend to be your friend and try to let everyone know that this was only done so that everyone has the best experience.

btw warhawk on the ps3 has dedicated servers along with user hosted games. it works out great to have both available.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

"Why I signed the Modern Warfare 2 dedicated server petition" by Tim Edwards (an editor from PC Gamer, i.e. not a nobody)

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=225744&site=pcg

that is a great write up, well thought out and it highlights the important things about dedicated servers. i'm pretty bummed IW decided to go down this path they've chosen, but I think it shows how strong the PC gaming community still is and I think other companies and studios are realizing this

Seriously if this is their response to the petition they can go suck on some goat nuts. The logical thing would be to use both systems however then they cannot force players to pay for dlc which throws that out the window.

Plus its gonna be really sweet when all their servers are down... Also gonna be really sweet when they start to complain about their server costs and start enforcing montly subscriptions.

Disappointed and sad

Plus its gonna be really sweet when all their servers are down... Also gonna be really sweet when they start to complain about their server costs and start enforcing montly subscriptions.
Monthly subscriptions while using VAC or whatever shitty anti-cheat they are using and probably with no new content at all other than the rare patch.

"Why I signed the Modern Warfare 2 dedicated server petition" by Tim Edwards (an editor from PC Gamer, i.e. not a nobody)

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=225744&site=pcg

I sent Tim an email thanking him for having the balls to explain our side. A lot of the game site are going to post the PR-spun responses from Infinity Ward without pointing out the bullshit.

402's response so far was just insulting. I rather have gotten no response than talked down to.

over 6 million lost if you consider all the signatures to be canceled preorders

I'd say quite a few of those signatures are from people who will buy the game anyway. A bunch of those signatures are also from console gamers. I wouldn't be surprised if some people signed multiple times either.

I'd say quite a few of those signatures are from people who will buy the game anyway. A bunch of those signatures are also from console gamers. I wouldn't be surprised if some people signed multiple times either.

probably

I know a of a few console gamers that signed it because its really unfair for us PC gamers

I signed

Im mad about. but a lot of the people on the IW forums are crying little wussies

I didn't cancel my preorder.

I want to see what the IWNET has to offer honestly

its still an arseload of signatures regardless of how many people double signed etc

Best response from someone canceling their preorder:

I officially went to Gamestop and canceled my pre-order. I have made a down payment on BF Bad Company 2.

When asked why I was canceling my ordered on the much intensive game of the year, I replied they are doing away with Punkbuster over steams VAC, No Dedicated servers and other stuff.

I informed the GM of the store of whats going on online with the petition and all the mass canceling of games and he was like I am calling head office. I told him there was over 90,000 signatures on the petition and that my entire gaming community was canceling there pre-orderes, This guy flipped out and was like Gamestop needs to look at getting involved, due to the looming amount of sales about to be lost.

This might just start to get good.

i ended up canceling my pre-order, im going to wait till the christmas sales or something where i can get it for $40-50 or something and play the SP by renting it for the xbox 360.

Back