MW2, No Dedicated Servers, PB, 9v9 limit, leaning, etc etc

Who upgrades every 2 years with a brand new kick ass computer? Because 1500 = brand new, ain't no upgrades there lol.

More power (and CC debt) to them I guess :confused: I just got a new comp after 5 years for $750 :(

Last edited:
Sure, we do.

This is absolutely true. However, the game has launched, it's one of the top, if not the top selling video game of all time. (by dollars)

My point is, the die has been cast. You can't put Pandora back in the box. Carrying on and on ad nauseum about it now serves zero purpose.

Support the developers you feel "treat the PC gamer right." But don't sit here and bash those who purchased the game.

I've been PC gaming as my nearly exclusive platform since the Commodore 64 days. I'm the proud owner of a sexy rig (i7 @ 4 Ghz, SLIed GTX275s...) and wouldn't think of gaming on a console.

I'm a hardcore PC gamer through and through, and I bought MW2.

You guys don't like it? Tough shit.

QFT.

We know what changed, we know what was taken out.

The PC game is no worse than a console game just because it runs on a PC. In fact quite the contrary. If you enjoy the console version you should enjoy the PC version just as well. I'm enjoying it during the rare times I can actually find time to play it. I am enjoying it despite not having dedicated servers. Yeah waiting in the lobby for a match to start is annoying but otherwise it's a pretty solid game.

The wait has its positives though. There was a S&D server I always played it on Cod4, and if a certain admin was there, he would immediately load the next map not allowing you to change classes. PISSED me off. And with enough time you won't have to leave when the game starts, causing your friends to leave so you can be in the same party again.

Your link doesn't work, but I saw this on the Steam forums earlier. The cheaters need to be caught, it's getting out of hand from what I've read

The IW forums are down again!

Last edited:
The wait has its positives though. There was a S&D server I always played it on Cod4, and if a certain admin was there, he would immediately load the next map not allowing you to change classes. PISSED me off. And with enough time you won't have to leave when the game starts, causing your friends to leave so you can be in the same party again.

Yeah I thought the same thing at first, but it gets old sometimes. Handy when you need to change stuff, but not so much when you don't. The other main complaint I have is that the matches are too short. 10 minutes each at the most it seems.

Yeah I thought the same thing at first, but it gets old sometimes. Handy when you need to change stuff, but not so much when you don't. The other main complaint I have is that the matches are too short. 10 minutes each at the most it seems.

That's one of the things I hated about console Cod4. 750 score limit? That's how it is now (just 100 pts/kill). For TDM sometimes it's ok. I hate tdm and the maps bother me. I LOVED the COD4 maps, but I don't find myself liking these as much.

Yeah, there are a couple of maps that I like, depending on the game type, but most of them suck. I wish they would port over at least some of the COD4 maps.

That's one of the things I hated about console Cod4. 750 score limit? That's how it is now (just 100 pts/kill). For TDM sometimes it's ok. I hate tdm and the maps bother me. I LOVED the COD4 maps, but I don't find myself liking these as much.

I really like the Favela and Afghanistan. There are a couple other decent maps but I can't remember what they are called. I fucking hate the Airport Terminal. But yeah, the score limit sucks. I wish they included updated versions of Crossfire and Crash in this game. Then again those maps would feel empty with only 18 players in them. :(

I have to agree totally with what you said, but I do game on a console also...just because to me, it seems like there are more releases on them vs the PC...and renting games is alot cheaper then buying them or well alternative that isn't legal.

Not to mention I hate dumping 1500 bucks every two years or so to have an up to date PC when $300 or so will last 3-5 years...

LOL you get what you pay for in this world. 300 bucks every 4-5 years get you an outdated console with supar graphics and resolutions. of course it's cheap, look at the tech they are giving you. 1500 bucks every 2 years? Well sure that's possible to spend and evern more but not necessary to stay up to date to play the latest games. Even if it is true to spend that much once again your getting alot more than a measely console. Btw I bash consoles alot and yet I own a Wii for my kids and a ps3 in my living room. I play with the consoles with my family here and there but when I wanna game for myself I game on my PC, I don't fool around with kiddie console junk. When something's cheap it's usually cheap for a reason. In this case it's cheap because it's an inferior product compared to the PC, sorry but those are the facts.

Yep, with 3% bought on the pc.

Now, that's not entirely true. The fact is, we will never know exactly what percentage of the total pie MW2 did compared to consoles. Steam never releases its sales numbers, and considering it is the largest and only DD in this case, I'd say their total percentage of PC sales is quite large.

Furthermore, that is just the economic reality of releasing PC games. The PC market, @ tops is 10% of the total gaming market. (this is a very liberal estimate)

And those aren't going to include Steam sales figures. Until you can get those, the argument what it was or wasn't is irrelevant.

GFK Chart- Track
Monitor and report on sales of music, video and software via retailers' EPOS systems

The methodology used across all Chart-Track's services is continuous quantitative retail research. Chart-Track reports are based on over-the-counter retail sales where the data is captured electronically each day from retailers' EPoS systems. Reports are generated using an Oracle relational database, integrated with a custom-built PC-based processing system.

Clients receive a broad range of statistical information from our standard and customised services, enabling them to track market size, market trends and product sales through retail. Data is disseminated to clients on a daily basis, and our monthly, quarterly and annual reports provide invaluable information about longer term sales trends and opportunities.

LOL you get what you pay for in this world. 300 bucks every 4-5 years get you an outdated console with supar graphics and resolutions. of course it's cheap, look at the tech they are giving you. 1500 bucks every 2 years? Well sure that's possible to spend and evern more but not necessary to stay up to date to play the latest games. Even if it is true to spend that much once again your getting alot more than a measely console. Btw I bash consoles alot and yet I own a Wii for my kids and a ps3 in my living room. I play with the consoles with my family here and there but when I wanna game for myself I game on my PC, I don't fool around with kiddie console junk. When something's cheap it's usually cheap for a reason. In this case it's cheap because it's an inferior product compared to the PC, sorry but those are the facts.

Get what you pay for? A PC is one of the worst investments you can make. PC hardware depreciates at faster rate than the shittiest car.

I think most people in this economy are thinking twice before dropping 2,000 on computer hardware every 3 years.

The steam sales are so good that activision is banning people who bought their keys from online key stores. I am not saying they shouldn't, however, they aren't banning people who bought keys for cod 4 from those same stores.

Get what you pay for? A PC is one of the worst investments you can make. PC hardware depreciates at faster rate than the shittiest car.

I think most people in this economy are thinking twice before dropping 2,000 on computer hardware every 3 years.

Dropping $2000 every 3 years isn't the best use of money of course.

However, for a lot of people, especially those at [H], PC hardware is a hobby. Obviously your average Joe isn't going to NEED a $2000 machine every 3 years, but as far as hobbies go, that's pretty damn cheap!

Your PC also does other things than gaming (*gasp*).

And a console doesn't depreciate in value just as fast?

With the rate that console game ports are hitting the PC, the need for buying or building a new PC every three years is fading. At best a video card upgrade is all you need.

Dropping $2000 every 3 years isn't the best use of money of course.

However, for a lot of people, especially those at [H], PC hardware is a hobby. Obviously your average Joe isn't going to NEED a $2000 machine every 3 years, but as far as hobbies go, that's pretty damn cheap!

Your PC also does other things than gaming (*gasp*).

That is cheap. Try working on cars or buying/shooting guns. FAR more expensive than computer parts every couple of years.

And a console doesn't depreciate in value just as fast?

With the rate that console game ports are hitting the PC, the need for buying or building a new PC every three years is fading. At best a video card upgrade is all you need.

This
I buy a mid-range card every 2-3 years fro 150-200$ and I can play (almost) anything at high-mid settings.

When you grow up and have other expenses than beer and computer games you can't afford uppgrading that often just to get 2-3 more fps or bump the sttings one more notch.

This
I buy a mid-range card every 2-3 years fro 150-200$ and I can play (almost) anything at high-mid settings.

When you grow up and have other expenses than beer and computer games you can't afford uppgrading that often just to get 2-3 more fps or bump the sttings one more notch.

Or drink more beer.

yeah, a gun collection can run a few thousand easy, with cars, the sky's the limit, you not only have to purchase the car, if you're incapable of working on it yourself, then you need to pay someone to fix it up and shit. After it's fixed up, you'll probably want to modify it, either cosmetically or mechanically, and the sky's the limit on how much that'll run you.

yeah, a gun collection can run a few thousand easy, with cars, the sky's the limit, you not only have to purchase the car, if you're incapable of working on it yourself, then you need to pay someone to fix it up and shit. After it's fixed up, you'll probably want to modify it, either cosmetically or mechanically, and the sky's the limit on how much that'll run you.
You know what the worst thing is?
My top hobbies are my Car, PC, and my Glock19.

I feel the pain. But I can afford it.

You know what the worst thing is?
My top hobbies are my Car, PC, and my Glock19.

I feel the pain. But I can afford it.

Computers, guns and cars for me. All three hobbies are damned expensive and I don't have enough money or time for any of the three.

Computers, guns and cars for me. All three hobbies are damned expensive and I don't have enough money or time for any of the three.

Combine them. Put your computer in the car, attach the guns to the sides of the car, then you can use the computer to control the guns. All three things at once bam.

Dude you are generalizing big time. How do you know what's expensive for some and not others? I can easily afford a new PC every 3 years with small upgrades inbetween. Case in point I built this rig this past jan and will be upgrading to 2 gt300 class cards when they come out sometimes early next year. Spent 2800.00 this jan and will spend another 800ish dollars on video card upgrades. Why because I want too and can afford too. I'm not trying to brag but I feel that needed to be made clear. What's expensive to some is pocket change to others. I don't taek money away from any important things in life to do PC upgrades. Nor do I live in mom's basement like alot of you guys who are so bitter like to point out about us with up to date Pc's.

Oh and yes, I stick to what i said you DO get what you pay for most of the time in life. 300 dollar console gives you a decent gaming experience and that's cool for most. Those of us here at [H] that know better and can afford better GET BETTER. See how that works? It's really simple.

plus it's not really hard to pay for all of this if you BUDGET for it, wow, a BUDGET, who'd have thunk it?? Budgeting for your HOBBIES???

no wai

this is some backwoods thinkin i'm doing over here

I personally would not consider the given number of $2000 a year much. Everyone has different opinion on whats acceptable I guess. I always make my own boxes can I can definitely say I have now had the same computer for over 3 years. I dont see why anyone would need to update that often anyways...but thats a moot point.

Anyways, I had to ask this cause, I really do not know where you guys are coming up with the number "$2000 every 3 years". Computers havnt costed that much for a long time. Remember, all youd really be updating is the mobo,cpu,ram,video card. This is pretty the 'guts' of the box. Are you guys like buying completely new systems for that cause that seems 'lols' to me? A new mobo,cpu,ram,video card does not cost anywhere close to $2000..... You need to learn how to make your own systems if thats what you are doing.

yeah, the guts of the PC, you can buy part for part for under $1000 now, and get pretty much the best bang for the buck, all the extras are actually what drives the price of your PC up since like Retsam said, you only need the "guts" if you already have all the other parts.

for instance, if you bought the best CPU/mobo/RAM today, one year from now, the only likely upgrade you'd need is a graphics card, which is the biggest single upgrade most hardcore users will see if they buy the best of everything and look at what they want to upgrade a year from that point.

Everytime I upgrade my system (mobo,cpu,video card, ram) I usually pay close to this:

mobo - $100-$150, thats just what new ones cost about.
cpu - Depends. My current C2D 2ghz @ 3ghz cpu was $125, and this was over 2 years ago.
video card - paid about $250 for 8800GT(now worth $60, but thats life).
4gb ddr2 - $15 after rebate..... lol. (when ddr2 was dirt cheap)

Total: roughly $550 max.

I typically try to always upgrade within the same money limit. Ive always been good at budget shoping for max performance though. Obviously things change so, prices wont always be the same or close to that necessarily but just an idea..

If you did something like that every 3 years, its still not close to $2000.....

Back