MW2 gameplay and strategies thread

indokyne

2[H]4U
I wanted to start a thread to discuss MW2 strategies and gameplay stories without the negative overtones of Infinity Ward bashing

So what do you guys play? I can't seem to play anything other than hardcore. The need to shoot people half a dozen times before killing them doesn't appeal to me.

What guns are you gravitating towards? SCAR seems like the ultimate go-to gun - easy iron sights, good damage and accuracy.

Just unlocked ACR a couple days ago. Sweet gun but I'm not used to its iron sights.
Trying to unlock some Akimbo guns... watching guys using Akimbo is super impressive... even with no ADS

What are you guys working on perkwise?

Impossible!

Anyways, to add something constructive, predator > harrier > ac130/chopper gunner is a great killstreak setup for tdm.

I see a lot of guys getting fat killstreaks in domination / HQ.

Obviously matches like S&D are a bit harder to do that - wish there was a way to incorporate different Killstreaks in the different custom classes

SCAR and ACR are my two favorite guns. Ill usually run one of those with bling on and a red dot and the second attachment will be whatever challenge Im doing at the time. If its hardcore usually a heartbeat monitor. Ninja and Cold blooded in hardcore also.

I've got ninja and cold blooded on pretty much all my classes but I've been trying out others like stopping power... it's just hard not to go w/ cold blooded & ninja cuz you're such an easy target to killstreak perks (like predator / chopper gunner) and UAV...

question - does FMJ increase kill damage at all?

been playing mostly team dm and sabatoge. Find myself using the FAL alot, very quick semi auto rifle. Seems like an improved garand to me and chopper gunner is so much fun. Game is crazy over the top with perks and killstreaks! I think alot of the haters will find it is extremely easy to game with your friends, find smooth servers, etc, despite the concerns otherwise. You can get on with handfull of friends and join a game type and it will keep you on the same team if you want. A lot like L4D1 and the awesome and also over the top L4D2. I don't care if its console-ish with the mp options, it works and works well. .

yea - that's kinda what I thought. Just increases wall penetration and such...

Stopping power is nice but I don't think I can give up cold-blooded.

I've been having fun with

silenced ump
marathon
stopping power
ninja

Basically just running around trying to flank people. Since you're not stopping very often giving up cold blooded isn't a huge deal.

Played the 360 MP for the first time... man chat is cool but also can be annoying.

Great to help teammates with bad guy locations and all but there are some serious douchebags and 10 yr olds out there who just love to hear themselves talk nonsense.

I've been having fun with

silenced ump
marathon
stopping power
ninja

Basically just running around trying to flank people. Since you're not stopping very often giving up cold blooded isn't a huge deal.

I've got that exact setup too. Just switched my SMG class over to the Vector but same idea...
run like hell to flank, couple of stuns / frags and then spray - usually at more than one target early on

I've seen that hardcore modes promote more camping. I played a hardcore TDM on Rundown the other day and the highest score at the end was something like 11-3. Now play that same map in normal TDM or Groundwar and the highest score can be 25-30. I realize the former is more realistic but camping is no fun. That's why I stick to Groundwar.

Another question about FMJ ammo... have you guys completed the challenge to get 40 bullet penetration kills with FMJ for any weapon? I have 3 weapons now with all challenges done except this one... I'd really like to do it because it would give a total of 11,000xp which is significant considering that each level up now takes about 60,000xp for me. I just don't know if I can do it... getting bullet penetration kills is not even something you can work towards.

Another question about FMJ ammo... have you guys completed the challenge to get 40 bullet penetration kills with FMJ for any weapon?

Yup, it's a bitch to complete but i got it for the M4A1 and the ACR.

I've seen that hardcore modes promote more camping. I played a hardcore TDM on Rundown the other day and the highest score at the end was something like 11-3. Now play that same map in normal TDM or Groundwar and the highest score can be 25-30. I realize the former is more realistic but camping is no fun. That's why I stick to Groundwar.

Another question about FMJ ammo... have you guys completed the challenge to get 40 bullet penetration kills with FMJ for any weapon? I have 3 weapons now with all challenges done except this one... I'd really like to do it because it would give a total of 11,000xp which is significant considering that each level up now takes about 60,000xp for me. I just don't know if I can do it... getting bullet penetration kills is not even something you can work towards.
I found that penetration kills are counted for most anything you shoot through to get to the target - not just walls or fences. I wouldn't focus too much in 'trying' to get penetration kills - they basically come naturally when shooting at targets with the occassional obstacle that gets in the way.
I've got it unlocked for the SCAR and yes - it was my last achievement for that gun because it's a bit harder to go out and just get penetration kills - as opposed to headshots

I wished that FMJ increased damage... not just penetration. I'd hate to lose cold-blooded to opt for stopping power

I wouldn't focus too much in 'trying' to get penetration kills - they basically come naturally when shooting at targets with the occassional obstacle that gets in the way.

It doesn't help that I'm not a fan of Bling Pro. I like moving around a lot so Marathon Pro suits my gameplay style more... To equip the FMJ, I'd have to give up the red dot sight or scope :(. I guess I'll give it a shot with the ACR next time I play. I kind of liked the iron sight on the ACR anyway.

For my assault rifle kit I use:

SCAR-H with holographic sight, Stinger as my seconday, tactical insertion, stun nades, scavenger, stopping power, and ninja.

For my noob tube kit I use:

M4 with grenade launcher, RPG, tactical insertion, stun nades, scavenger, danger close, and ninja.

For my knifing kit (my favorite kit) I use:

P90 with dot sight, .44 magnum with tactical knife, tactical insertion, stun nades, marathon, lightweight, and commando.

For my assault rifle kit I use:

SCAR-H with holographic sight, Stinger as my seconday, tactical insertion, stun nades, scavenger, stopping power, and ninja.

For my noob tube kit I use:

M4 with grenade launcher, RPG, tactical insertion, stun nades, scavenger, danger close, and ninja.

For my knifing kit (my favorite kit) I use:

P90 with dot sight, .44 magnum with tactical knife, tactical insertion, stun nades, marathon, lightweight, and commando.

The P90 is so much sweeter when used akimbo. There is no better way to defend the HQ, or to snatch it away from the enemy team.

Even though I am usually not at the top of the boards, my favorite class to use is my Riot shield class.

Riot Shield
Spaz-12 (with grip)
Marathon Pro
Lightweight
Commando Pro

Playing with my buddy in a party is so crazy. People just freak out and spray at me when they see me comming. Then my partner takes them out. I have gotten the 'crowd control' achievement thing way too many times to count. (Semtex grenades are my worst enemy)

Other then the riot shield my other favorite weapon is the FAL.

Even though I am usually not at the top of the boards, my favorite class to use is my Riot shield class.

Riot Shield
Spaz-12 (with grip)
Marathon Pro
Lightweight
Commando Pro

Playing with my buddy in a party is so crazy. People just freak out and spray at me when they see me comming. Then my partner takes them out. I have gotten the 'crowd control' achievement thing way too many times to count. (Semtex grenades are my worst enemy)

Other then the riot shield my other favorite weapon is the FAL.

Hah that's hilarious. I love following a riot shield teammate and just picking up the kills.

I appreciate the new weapons and features of the new game but I have to say...
the shield is lame. lol
Maybe its just cuz I haven't found a consistent way to deal with shields...

Riot shields are fun to play with, but you can definitely count on being at/near the bottom of the scoreboard ;). A friend of mine plays it very well... He uses the riot shield with throwing knives and actually ends up with a K : D ratio higher than 1. I suck with the shield, but it's still an amusing way to play a map once in a while.

It's not very hard to deal with the shield. You can stick semtex on it and it will kill the player... This is quite easy since you usually end up face to face with the shield guy. An alternative is to use a flashbang/stun grenade which will cause the player to temporarily lower the shield. If the person isn't crouching, you can shoot his legs from under the shield (go prone for this). And lastly, it's really not that hard to flank a guy with a shield if you keep your wits about you and have some positional awareness. There are very few scenarios in which a person with a shield has a tactical positional advantage over you.

Last edited:
The shield on the back is really the only reason I use it. Although I pretty much only play FFA, so I don't have teammates to protect.

Just the other day though I was playing some FFA and I heard a clunk (or whatever the sound is that a knife vs shield makes) behind me, so I turned around the knifed the dude. He fucking totally deserved that kill but the shield blocked it.

I've also had the shield block fire from my backside while running around corners or to cover.

Riot shields are fun to play with, but you can definitely count on being at/near the bottom of the scoreboard ;). A friend of mine plays it very well... He uses the riot shield with throwing knives and actually ends up with a K : D ratio higher than 1. I suck with the shield, but it's still an amusing way to play a map once in a while.

It's not very hard to deal with the shield. You can stick semtex on it and it will kill the player... This is quite easy since you usually end up face to face with the shield guy. An alternative is to use a flashbang/stun grenade which will cause the player to temporarily lower the shield. If the person isn't crouching, you can shoot his legs from under the shield (go prone for this). And lastly, it's really not that hard to flank a guy with a shield if you keep your wits about you and have some positional awareness. There are very few scenarios in which a person with a shield has a tactical positional advantage over you.

good post. thanks

How do you guys level up so fast? See people already on 2nd-3rd prestige.... i mean what is the quickest way? I usually play FFA.

How do you guys level up so fast? See people already on 2nd-3rd prestige.... i mean what is the quickest way? I usually play FFA.

I guess they play a lot. One obvious way of getting XP fast is to keep cycling through new weapons to complete the basic challenges... those 500-1000XP challenges will add up over time. S&D and Demolition are the most lucrative game modes I believe, especially if you play well on them and complete the objectives.

Ok you guys were right about the FMJ challenge. I got to 20/40 kills in one play session. Granted, it was a long session, but it's not as hard as I thought it would be.

I don't know if you guys have watched these vids, but this guy (Sandy Ravage) is SICK:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=sandy+ravage&search_type=&aq=f

His akimbo / riotshield / throwing knife vid is incredible.

That aside, I really like using the SCAR and TAR. Since they both start with 40 ammo, I use Scavenger for Perk 1. A lot of people skip Scavenger and don't realize that in addition to your primary weapon ammo, it refills your secondary (shotty, grenade launcher, etc) AND your equipment (claymores... hint hint hint).

I like to run two builds for both the SCAR and TAR:

SCAR / TAR - scope of choice
Secondary of choice - usually auto shotty or grenade launcher, machine pistol
Perk 1 - Scavenger Pro - full ammo on spawn in addition to refill pouches on dead bodies
Perk 2 - Stopping Power Pro
Perk 3 - Scrambler Pro
Equip - Tactical Insertion or Claymores

I basically keep 2 templates of the above and pick a different scope, scondary, and choose between claymores or tac insert.

Tactical Insertion has got to be my favorite. I have found places on each map that I like to place it for respawning. After a respawn, the first thing I do is place it again immediately. People are surprisingly unaware of tac inserts and enemies frequently just run right past them... Estate for example, I place one in the basement in the laundry room (near the pool table) or in the upstair bathroom by the front balcony. Some maps I don't use it as much, like Derail and Afghan. On maps like those I favor claymores with Scavenger and fortify areas with claymores all over the place.

My usual kit

Whatever sniper rifle
Whatever machine pistol
Semtex
Flash grenades
Scavenger Pro
Cold Blooded Pro
Sitrep Pro

Gets me accused of hackery all the time.

SCAR-H (heartbeat sensor)
Akimbo Ranger's
---
Semtex
2x Flash Grenade
---
Slight of Hand
Stopping Power
Ninja

I (usually) clean up with this.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

i could never get good at the sniper / pistol combo...
between just sucking at sniping and being screwed on CQB / hip fire scenarios, I've never succeeded w/ sniper guns...

Same with Akimbo guns...

I'm too used to ADS rifling.

Whoever said akimbo p90's is the way to go has to be crazy, by far the worst setup in the game. I like to mix it up a lot myself and like mostly doing either tank setup, or knife, or use m16 if I feel like using a rifle.

Akimbo is nuts. I could see how using it on softcore mode would be fun w/ crosshairs and all but in HC - which is all I play - it's gonna be a lonnng time before I get good at Akimbo without crosshairs and no ADS
- not to mention the fact that I'm used to just the left-mouse button for fire and I'd have to get used to using right-click to fire as well.

I hear about guys taping crosshairs to screens and stuff but what's the fun in that.

i could never get good at the sniper / pistol combo...
between just sucking at sniping and being screwed on CQB / hip fire scenarios, I've never succeeded w/ sniper guns...

Same with Akimbo guns...

I'm too used to ADS rifling.

The best thing you can do is be patient and not get lulled into sleep by staring through the crosshairs for too long. Really, all you need are decent reflexes and awareness, hence why I use sitrep pro when sniping.

There's nothing funnier than staring at an enemy sniper for 30 seconds before sticking him with semtex. :D

The best thing you can do is be patient and not get lulled into sleep by staring through the crosshairs for too long. Really, all you need are decent reflexes and awareness, hence why I use sitrep pro when sniping.

There's nothing funnier than staring at an enemy sniper for 30 seconds before sticking him with semtex. :D

Do you use Sleight of Hand Pro for quicker ADS? Does that affect snipers?

And what does sitrep do when sniping?

This quote or version thereof is posted all over the net.

Works great. Anything in yellow is my setting and works great for me.

Go find your config_mp.cfg file for mw2 (should be in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\call of duty modern warfare 2\players

Find the Files

seta cl_maxpackets "100" //Default is 30
seta cl_maxPing "50" // Will only let you join 50 or less ping server
seta snaps "30" // number of times to update player postions, should smooth out movement and hit registration, default is 20

Also if you want more detail on ping than just 4 bars (And if you want to find out who the host is)

seta cg_ScoresPing_MaxBars "10"
seta cg_ScoresPing_Interval "20"

I set them to 10 and 20 respectively (so it'll show 10 bars from 200 to 20). The host is almost always the only guy with 10 bars. One red dot is 200 ping

Last edited:
TAR21 /w extended mags
m9 /w silencer
frag nade
stun nade

sleight of hand pro
cold blooded pro
ninja pro

predator/harrier/AC130

Back